Family ticket 'rip off' at British attractions (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Following on from the thread about the Snowdon Railway, rather than high jack I started this one...

Yes, I'm a Scot and yes I like good value for money .. and I'm proud of that .. nothing to do about being tight as one poster suggested.. but I'm sick and tired of being ripped off by by attractions..

If I perceive that an attraction is a rip off I simply won't pay .. and that's not an easy option when you have a 9 year old who is disappointed and in tears..
So, before even talking about visiting an attraction, I now check the cost .. and if it's NGVFM we simply don't go .. notice I said Value For Money .. and not COST .. even if I were a millionaire I wouldn't pay if it's a rip off.

One exception we made was Disney Paris, I knew it was costly, but I promised to visit and wouldn't go back on that, but afterwards Chaz said it was disappointing .. nothing to do with cost.. while I though , yes, it was and also a rip off .. Others will disagree.. horses for courses.

Lands End used to belong to the people, or at least you could go and view without being held to ransom.. now it's Private and run by the same mob that own the Snowdon Railway ..

So how many more natural attractions are earmarked for Privatisation .. will we soon be charged to visit the beach, walk the fells, coastal paths or Pennine way etc etc etc ..
You may think that's silly, but 40 years ago who would have thought they could privatise Lands End or John O'Groats ?

Man made attractions are just as big a rip off .. here is what the Telegraph said about it .. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1550573/Family-ticket-rip-off-at-British-attractions.html

the lead author, said yesterday: "We, the British public who pay for these attractions sometimes have only ourselves to blame. They charge these prices because that's what they can get away with."

So what do you think .. am I just a tight ass or do you think we are ripped off by visitor attractions ? If so .. BOYCOTT >> don't pay .

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I must say I agree, Most of the big attractions are a rip off, they seem to think that they can charge what they like, and can because of the mugs who must go and see it etc will pay regardless.
A typical example my wife and I went to Duxford, my wife being disabled and in a wheelchair we get in at a disabled rate, but as we went in a couple paid the charge to go in having a moan about the cost,fine. We saw them again about 3 hours later while having lunch, and they were still moaning about the price to each other, why if they felt so strongly about it did they go in, they must have spoilt what was a good day out, by moaning all day. If you pay the price then surely it would have been better to enjoy it than moan.

But I think this highlights the problem if you think it's too dear, don't go if enough people walk away the cost will come down or they will close.

I once went to a cathedral can't remember which and they were charging to see a clock in a chapel. I turned to one of the clergy and asked how they could charge people to visit a church [ the house of god] and he could not answer,I said to him I did not mind making a voluntary contribution but I would not pay a fee and left, he looked most surprised. I have not visited a cathedral for years now as they all now seem to charge, an admission fee. Prior to this I always made a donation and it was more than the fee they charge now, but I have my principles and stick to them.
I must admit there are a lot of attractions I would love to visit but due to the admission charges don't bother with them.
If more people would make a stand the prices would fall.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Yes, I'm a Scot and yes I like good value for money .. and I'm proud of that .. nothing to do about being tight as one poster suggested.. but I'm sick and tired of being ripped off by by attractions..

I
So what do you think .. am I just a tight ass or do you think we are ripped off by visitor attractions ? If so .. BOYCOTT >> don't pay .

Firstly Jim it wasn't aimed or intended to offend you, just some north south banter, so I apologise if I did offend you and the nation (but come on is it right, scots being tight and that:ROFLMAO:)

secondly I agree totally with what you and th OP said yesterday. However sadly, all the time there are people willing to pay extortiante prices at attractiions it will remain. Many are a buisness there to merely make money at our expense. I wish sometimes the govenment would do more to prevent it but they dont.
I simply do this, if I think its poor value I dont go and I dont pay end of.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I thought that as attractions go, Disney (Paris) is streets ahead of any British attraction. ALL the staff are smart and polite, nothing looks "tired" or needs a lick of paint, no litter, a great atmosphere and the best rides anywhere. Tickets are expensive if you buy them on the gate but there are deals and you can get some very cheap day tickets.

As for the British "attractions" I am pretty much in the same lane as you Jim. Mostly they are horrendiously overpriced and disapointing; the opposite of the Disney ethos; dirty, rundown places with rude staff, designed to rip you off at every turn.

Greedy? there maybe some greed involved but then most attractions outside of the capital cities of the UK have a very short window of operation. Tourists are around for just a few short months and they have to pay for a whole year of business rates and every other tax that the government steals from anyone stupid enough to be in business these days.

Why do we need them anyway. Think back to the last "theme park" you went to and if you are anything like us, the chances are the best bit of the day was lunch and a game on the grass, this is the same for a lot of people so why not just head for the hills or a park, its free and ten times better:Smile:

The best thing to do is give them a miss. Maybe do what we do; we carry out the the carpark and burger bar test. If an atraction has a burger bar and a carpark, we don't go near it, it will be too busy and noisy. An attraction where you have to walk for a minimum of 15 minutes, will be a much nicer place, even if its had a burger bar:Smile:

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
theme parks

just been away for two weeks as you may well know, bruges very nice, holland, germany and france and yes i was at the rock en siene gig when oasis had their bust up but never mind i get 15 euros back on each ticket so thats 45 euros, only went to see keane and madness anyway so thanks oasis you saved me some money and i don't like you anyway,
getting back to the point, whilst in germany we visited europa park which is the biggest theme park in germany and apart from florida we think it is the nicest and best theme park going. rollercoaster and water ride heaven and well worth the £00.00 thet it cost us to get in for two days
£9.00 of tesco clubcard voucers buys you a one day summer pass
£54.00 of tesco voucers got me 2 days worth of entry for the 3 of us
rides galore
BARGAIN
Europa-Park - Main Page

Tailendcharley

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Funster No
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Totally agree with this thread...so much so in fact that two weeks ago whilst camping in the County of Norfolk my good lady expressed a desire to visit Sandringham and have a look around etc. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

When we approached the place and saw what it cost to have a look around I refused to pay arguing the fact that as a tax payer for the last 40 or so years I owned a small percentage of the building. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Needless to say..my better half paid and went inside whilst I stood in the car park for 2/3 years maintaining my 'one man' protest. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

I just hate being ripped off by these people :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Regards

Smithy :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The truth is boycotting the attractions is easier said than done. When you have the little ones they do not necessarily understand the point of boycotting:cry:. Ofcourse it is for a good parent to teach their kids the value of money, but can you really go on holiday and not take them somewhere 'exciting' even once?

Went to Balackpool for a family 80th birthday. The kids had been going on about the pleasure beach for months in advance. The ticket? £150 for the 4 of us:Eeek:. I asked the lady at the till several times to clarify as I kept thinking she was charging be for the whole group (9 of us).

The grief of walking away (as much as I wanted to) was too much so I paid up. We actually had a great great time and a day the kids still remember. For some bizare reason it was pretty empty in late August so no queuing for the rides at all. I am told normally you have to queue for up to 40mins per ride (now THAT IS BVFM). Perhaps something to do with the exorbitant cost?

My point? if it was cheaper I would make a point of going back everytime on my way to my annual trip to the in laws in Scotland, so in the long run they would make much more money.

There is no way I am going back for that price, so is this good business sense from their perspective? Having said that I figured you can double up on TESCO vouchers and get family passes for a very large discount. That's more like it.

Re Lands End, I live 40 mins away from it. Is this the rip off of the century or what...

By the way, a little tip to all who intend to visit Cornwall. Buy the 'Cornishman' weekly newspaper when you get here. They always have excellent offers for attractions in the form of coupons. We usually buy a few copies and save a fortune on most kids attractions.

All the best

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp

Totally agree with this thread...so much so in fact that two weeks ago whilst camping in the County of Norfolk my good lady expressed a desire to visit Sandringham and have a look around etc. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

When we approached the place and saw what it cost to have a look around I refused to pay arguing the fact that as a tax payer for the last 40 or so years I owned a small percentage of the building. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Needless to say..my better half paid and went inside whilst I stood in the car park for 2/3 years maintaining my 'one man' protest. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

I just hate being ripped off by these people :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Regards

Smithy :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:
HERE HERE HRH GETS TOO MUCH TAX FROM US AS IT IS, BUT......the visit is quite pleasant even if it is a bit Derby and Joan, when we went the average age was about 92, no wonder it took so long to go round. :Angry:
The staff treat you as if you're a hoodie about to run off with the crown jewels too. :swear:
But get this, HRH is so tight, she painted, yes, painted, the best chippendale dining room furniture with gloss paint, (sky blue if memory serves), rather than buy something new that suits the rooms. :Doh:
Rugs in need of darning and chairs that tatty you wouldn't even let the dog sit in!! Then we get the priviledge of paying to see how the other half live.
Well I'm thinking of opening up our house so the rich can see how we live, do you think it justifies a £10 entry fee? :whatthe:
ATB
DaveT

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I
As for the British "attractions" I am pretty much in the same lane as you Jim. Mostly they are horrendously overpriced and disappointing; the opposite of the Disney ethos; dirty, rundown places with rude staff, designed to rip you off at every turn.

Depends what attractions you go to, a few years back we went and had a look around the "Warrior" at Portsmouth, outstanding guides full of enthusiasm and knowledge, the same when looking at the SS Great Britain (That was over 30 years ago though :Doh:) and Chatham dockyard was a brillient day out a couple of years back.

And what about our museums? free to get in, and some of the best in the World, take the kids to the sicence museum or the natural history museum, fantastic.

Olley

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Try the IOW ferry biggest rip off going ,and once there even everything you do is charged nice island though,wanted to go see the Roman Villa[Ruins]£18.50 for 2+! uhmm no :cry:thanks,where we go on Holiday abroad [Cyprus] Paphos ruins used to be free as did most now they charge a token amount { between £7-£10 for 2+1}:thumb: if you do go to Cyprus Forget going to the Adonis and Aphrodites bath[ small cave in side of a Rock] Waterfall if driving miss the first one on way up Troodos [they charge],take 2nd turn Marmaris this ones bigger and free[ feel brave and step in swear that water is -4!], and forget Tomb of the kings pic you see in the mags is it, rest are just holes in ground:Eeek:

but do agree its a rip off in Britain,then again so is much elswhere ,think of ways some campsites double charge for a 30-33ft rv yet it fits on one pitch

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I refused to pay...............................

very similar to my experience at shakespeares birthplace in stratford.

i refused to pay but shirl insisted i go in if she paid.

sixteen quid to listen to some old bird banging on about no central heating in those days and sleeping stood up so the 'consumption' didnt get you.

got bumps on me head 'cos the doors were made for bloody midgets.

just how much maintainance does this house need......and believe me, they dont spend much on it :winky: hasnt been cleaned and dusted for years :ROFLMAO:

total rip-off.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Firstly Jim it wasn't aimed or intended to offend you, just some north south banter, so I apologise if I did offend you and the nation (but come on is it right, scots being tight and that:ROFLMAO:)

Apology accepted .. caught me at a bad time of the month :Blush: :roflmto:

as for being tight.. naw.. just prudent .. like YOUR Scottish PM.. maybe the last laugh is on the us .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And what about our museums? free to get in, and some of the best in the World, take the kids to the sicence museum or the natural history museum, fantastic.

Olley

fully agree Olley :thumb:

spend best part of a day in leeds history museum.....all free.:Cool:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Olley

Totally agree.. they are fantastic.. and free .. but what about the cost of getting into London and or the site fees for a site anywhere close ?

We recently priced up a rail ticket from Colchester to London .. I nearly fainted ..

two adults and one child... about £50 return.. still , it's a lot cheaper than Snowdon railway :RollEyes:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Totally agree.. they are fantastic.. and free .. but what about the cost of getting into London and or the site fees for a site anywhere close ?

We recently priced up a rail ticket from Colchester to London .. I nearly fainted ..

two adults and one child... about £50 return.. still , it's a lot cheaper than Snowdon railway :RollEyes:

Hi Jim just had a look at Abbey Wood, 2 adults, i child, 10 metre RV, 1 weekday night is £14.30, thats for a standard pitch in October. Add your all day rail/bus/underground passes at around £6.00 each, £33.00 all in, pretty good value to me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim just had a look at Abbey Wood, 2 adults, i child, 10 metre RV, 1 weekday night is £14.30, thats for a standard pitch in October. Add your all day rail/bus/underground passes at around £6.00 each, £33.00 all in, pretty good value to me.

you forgot to add the LEZ Olley...:Doh:::bigsmile:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Spoke to as guy with a Brave on Lower Hyde in IOW ,we paid £142 for 5 nights with a tent[elec hook up] they made him pay double that for his Brave:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: £282!!!!! equates to £56.40per night [Aug BH weekend]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Spoke to as guy with a Brave on Lower Hyde in IOW ,we paid £142 for 5 nights with a tent[elec hook up] they made him pay double that for his Brave:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: £282!!!!! equates to £56.40per night [Aug BH weekend]

£28 per night.......for a tent ! :Eeek:

no offence andy but one word springs to mind......MUG..... or you must have been desperate.

i wouldnt pay that much for a motorhome pitch:whatthe:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
£28 per night.......for a tent ! :Eeek:

no offence andy but one word springs to mind......MUG..... or you must have been desperate.

i wouldnt pay that much for a motorhome pitch:whatthe:

I wouldn't pay that either John .. but, it could be argued that tent campers use the site faculties more than a motorhome.. so why should they be cheaper ?

anyway.. site fees are another topic , my concern is that the natural world, ie land or access to it is being sold off to companies with the sole intent of making money from the natural beauty .. it shouldn't be allowed.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
my concern is that the natural world, ie land or access to it is being sold off to companies with the sole intent of making money from the natural beauty .. it shouldn't be allowed.

I have to agree with you Jim, at the most there should only be a small charge to cover car park maintenance and clean up if there is such provided (People will always leave litter unfortunately) £3 - £5 at the very most and it should say on the gate what it is spent on.

I am totally gobsmacked at some of the charges quoted on here. Mind you I can't recall the last time I went to one of these so called 'attractions' and I have vowed never to go into London again in my lifetime, so even if all the attractions are free I won't be seeing them :ROFLMAO:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
I think your better of with a family ticket for the national trust,when we are not going on a trip away we take the grandkids in there turn for weekends and work our way through the book of so many interesting places in the U.K and theres always lots to do and free parking.
felt ripped off recently at Flamingoland at 59 can't get senior rate so pay £23(4yr olds and over) and only wanted or dared go on three small rides accompaning grandkids !!!:cry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just for Olley :thumb:

Sung to ... " A Gordon For Me" :roflmto:

It's LPG for me, LPG for me,
If ye're no a LPG ye're no use to me.
The Diesel is braw, the Petrol and a'
But the cocky wee LPG is the pride o' them a'.

jim

Jim can I help it if I made the right choice, vis-a-vis Petrol/Diesel? ::bigsmile:

Been thinking about this word "Rip off" what is a "Rip off?" just because you think its dear doesn't make it a "Rip off"

Looking at a report in the paper, a hairdresser in London charges £120 for a ladies wash cut and blow dry, we charge £28, shop down the road charges £20, are any of these a "Rip off?" Not in my opinion, you charge what your "target market" will bear. If you can't or won't pay the price you aren't in my "Target Market"

The thing is, if I can charge £28 and get it, why would I charge £20? if a railway can charge £50, why charge £25? I stayed at a Haven site over the Easter Bank Holiday, at £72 per night :Eeek: last minute booking, and it was full, so it has its "Target Market" spot on, many people wouldn't pay it, but enough will.

Theirs an old saying "if you can't afford to do business with me, I can't afford to do business with you"

Olley

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim can I help it if I made the right choice, vis-a-vis Petrol/Diesel? ::bigsmile:

Been thinking about this word "Rip off" what is a "Rip off?" just because you think its dear doesn't make it a "Rip off"

Looking at a report in the paper, a hairdresser in London charges £120 for a ladies wash cut and blow dry, we charge £28, shop down the road charges £20, are any of these a "Rip off?" Not in my opinion, you charge what your "target market" will bear. If you can't or won't pay the price you aren't in my "Target Market"

The thing is, if I can charge £28 and get it, why would I charge £20? if a railway can charge £50, why charge £25? I stayed at a Haven site over the Easter Bank Holiday, at £72 per night :Eeek: last minute booking, and it was full, so it has its "Target Market" spot on, many people wouldn't pay it, but enough will.

Theirs an old saying "if you can't afford to do business with me, I can't afford to do business with you"

Olley

Fully understand .. used to own a hairdresser business .. it's a total rip off :roflmto:

Seriously ..
I would say a rip off is in the eye of the beholder.. I make a judgement, it is either good , poor or bad value for money .. so it is subjective.. as I said earlier , it's not the cost ..

We can also compare 'like for like' in different countries.. Legoland Windsor charges an adult £31 compared with £20.15 in Germany and £21 at the original park in Denmark...

There are many factors, as you said, at the end of the day a proprietor of a site or attraction will charge what the market will bear ..

While we pay, they will charge ..so it self regulates.. bet you wish you could charge £128 for a cut and blow dry .. :roflmto:

jim

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
We got to land's End, saw the 5 quid charge for parking and when we got to the ticket booth told him no way and said we were turning around and heading out the gate again - which we did.

I'm with Jim. Value for money is what counts,

russ

Free Member
Oct 8, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Selfbuild
Exp
2 years
What would be a great idea,would be to have a website of all attractions in the country.
On the website they could have the price and amenities listed then all you have to do is
log on check out where you want to go.If you think the place is to dear then you dont go.
They could catalogue say Cathedrals,Theme Parks,Museums and what not.
I know you can Google what you want but they do not have all the prices eg:parking fees,
Entrance fees.Just an idea if any of you brave people want to take it on.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back