Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have the new van on order, and due to be picked up on the 27/5 but have not got any insurance yet and cannot register until it is insured.
I got a quote from Comfort for a reasonable sum but they refuse to issue it until I have it booked in for and alarm and / tracker fitted or booked in for it. I would not be insured until they are on it for theft. I cannot get an appointment until July from Eddie as they are booked solid until then.and their tracker is not an approved one as it is not monitored. The dealer needs the insurance to register and tax it a week before I get it at least. and the tracker must be Thatcham approved so that means a monitored one costing an arm and leg, but they want a registration number before covering it.
Caravan Guard will cover it but also subject to the fitting of alarms etc so I will have to go to NFU who are happy to insure on the VIN number until it is all settled. I though it would be easier than this but the dealer cannot fit any alarms until they have workshop time and are booked up solid for extras. TWITCH-TWITCH I'm off again. All down to the value of the van. Causing me angst. TWITCH . I'll have grey hair soon at this rate, or have I already?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The dealer needs the insurance to register and tax it a week before I get it at least

That's a new one. They didn't have any insurance details for mine until the day before I picked it up so they could tax it.

That's not just the motorhome either. It applies to every new car I've ever bought as well.

I'd be querying the dealer as they should know bloody well that without a registration number the only way it can be insured is on the VIN and I've never heard of that before for a vehicle sold in the UK.

I hate to suggest it but I think someone at your dealer either doesn't know what they're doing or is bullshitting you for some reason best known to themselves.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's a new one. They didn't have any insurance details for mine until the day before I picked it up so they could tax it.

That's not just the motorhome either. It applies to every new car I've ever bought as well.

I'd be querying the dealer as they should know bloody well that without a registration number the only way it can be insured is on the VIN and I've never heard of that before for a vehicle sold in the UK.

I hate to suggest it but I think someone at your dealer either doesn't know what they're doing or is bullshitting you for some reason best known to themselves.
What he said.^^

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
I've had the same problem with mine, the insurance co. would not insure it without the van having alarm and tracker fitted before the van left the dealers, it could be registered though without the insurance or so I was told.

I had an appointment at vanbitz in July but they said that was too long after picking up the van before the alarm was fitted, i've ended up having to have the dealer alarm and tracker fitted even though it's not as good as the strikeback or growler.

Liz

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Exactly the same problems here as @GWAYGWAY and @Hyacinth 1 had. Interestingly the same MH as gwaygway and same dealer involved.

Think it was to do with taxing rather than registering the MH.

But it was immensely frustrating that I ended up putting on an alarm which is about as loud as a fart and utterly useless and a tracker that means I have to carry a separate fob whenever the van is moving, just to comply with insurers requirements. The alarm and tracker set up are so far the biggest disappointment with the MH. Both are Cobra systems and the choice of Thatcham Cat 5 trackers is very limited indeed.

I'd much rather have had vanbitz systems but it just couldn't happen.

I also had to send a copy of the alarm certificate, tracker subscription showing as paid AND two photographs of the van up the drive!

I'd make sure the dealer fully demonstrates the alarm during handover as although I can set mine, I've no idea how to set it for perimeter protection only so can't have the thing set when we go to bed at night. Not that I've felt the need but as yet we've not wildcamped abroad, which is where the extra security might give comfort.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Maybe you need to talk to another insurance company?
NFU don't ask for an alarm or immobiliser.
They insure high value vans too.
Good luck with the new van

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The dealer can register the vehicle but only in their name and not mine which makes me a second owner. The insurers have said they will put it down on the VIN number unless the dealer gives me a number from the block they have from DVLC, that will sort it but I will not be covered for the theft side until we have the fitting of the alarm done. I have arranged the Tracker it is cheap enought but I had to take the subscription on the life cover to make it cheaper or it becomes a bit dear every year. Never mind I hope it all sorts out as I am really going grey-grey.
NFU are a really good broker and my burglary last month was a really sorted experience, they want £610 which is a bit more than the others so I will probably go to them for it.
No problems with my other home claim at all It would be the same with the van so worth the extra bit..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The dealer can register the vehicle but only in their name and not mine which makes me a second owner.

I'm really sorry but unless the regulations have changed in the last few months that's utter big round hairy things.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
The dealer can register the vehicle but only in their name and not mine which makes me a second owner. The insurers have said they will put it down on the VIN number unless the dealer gives me a number from the block they have from DVLC, that will sort it but I will not be covered for the theft side until we have the fitting of the alarm done. I have arranged the Tracker it is cheap enought but I had to take the subscription on the life cover to make it cheaper or it becomes a bit dear every year. Never mind I hope it all sorts out as I am really going grey-grey.
NFU are a really good broker and my burglary last month was a really sorted experience, they want £610 which is a bit more than the others so I will probably go to them for it.
No problems with my other home claim at all It would be the same with the van so worth the extra bit..
Which dealer?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Safeguard started off wanting all that with me, they are often just quoting what's in front of of them. Because my factory fitted (Hymer in Germany) alarm and immobiliser was not Thatcham approved as it was not uk fitted they started off saying they couldn't accept it. When I pointed out that it was a perfectly good alarm and immobiliser and with no disrespect, just as good as any fitted in this country, and when I also asked if they would accept a cat 6 tracker (5 is highest) which is still monitored by a tracking company (£300 for 5 years) They actually said they didn't need both, and would be happy to accept the tracker I had suggested. Give them a ring you have nothing to lose.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
They also insured on the chassis number and gave me two weeks to get a registration (it was imported)

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
My last 3 vans from Marquis, they have given me a choice of registration numbers a few weeks before delivery, I have given this number to Safeguard who will insure them and send a cover note to the dealer for them to tax the vehicle, they have also always given me one month after registration to have the alarm fitted, I have always had a Strikeback from vanbitz, also Safeguard have never wanted a tracker fitted as well as the alarm and this was for a £65,000 plus van

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm surprised at Comfort in the past they have given me 30 days to get an alarm fitted, also I thought Comfort's limit for a tracker was 75k, I thought you were getting a Hymer ML which I would have thought would be under that.

As for registration most dealers normally have numbers allocated to them by DVLA and they ask you which number you would prefer, I take it your dealer does not do this. One way around it but it would depend on how quick DVLA respond would be to buy a private plate, cheap ones only £250

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are picking up our van in June. When we put the deposit down we picked a reg number and that was that. Did get a request from caravan guard for a tracker but did not need an alarm. Thought i would rather for safety have an alarm. Tracker really only protects the insurance company if it is stolen. Phoned NFU lovely conversation and very reasonable. Also no problems waiting for alarm and leaving it at vanbitz for a week was fine. Think i am going with NFU :)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Your dealer should have a number of reg numbers which he can give out once the van is in his pocession as he needs chassis number and other details to register it to you

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@GWAYGWAY

I've had a few spare minutes so I've had a look at this. Unless your dealer is based in Northern Ireland he is talking rubbish. That is the only place in the UK where insurance is required to register a vehicle. Everywhere else a dealer can register the vehicle on your behalf. The V5 will be in your name and you will show as the only owner. You do not need to provide anything to the dealer apart from the name you want the vehicle registered in and the address that you want it to be registered at.

I really would expect any dealer to know this so I really can't understand why yours is telling you otherwise.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/overview

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I always thought you needed insurance to get the road tax, or VED whatever you want to call it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I always thought you needed insurance to get the road tax, or VED whatever you want to call it.

You always did and in theory still do.

That's nothing to do with the first registration of the vehicle though.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
If I understand this correctly, the dealer will be sending someone to register the vehicle and tax it at the same time. The only reason they insist on the insurance is because they have no idea what registration mark would be available to them before going and they do not want to do the visit twice as the insurance is required for the tax.
When we bought ours, we were offered a choice of three different registrations (although they were almost the same as they were consecutive) as they had them pre allocated to the dealer.
I would ask them to either register it in your name and then get it insured so the tax can be arranged or get them to get an available registration from DVLA or whatever they call themselves now.

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
You don't need insurance to tax and register the van, I'm getting my van from the same dealer as you and they'd registered it from the 1st of May, when I rang up for the vin number so I could insure it he also gave me my reg number, I didn't get to choose this one as they had already done it. You will have to sign the registration form a few days before collection which is what I did last Saturday, you can do it by scanning it and emailing it back.

I needed the alarm and tracker on before I left the dealers because of the value was over 80K otherwise they would have given me 28 days to get it sorted. Also I think our post code does affect it too.

Liz

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The dealers ARE FINE, it is the insurance companies wanting the reg number before allowing me the policy and they want the tracker and alarm fitted. before giving me the certificate. They will not allow the theft part. As the value is too great. I am going to use the NFU they are a bit more pricey but they did come up trumps when they dealt with my house claim.. They will also not hold back the certificate until the security items are fitted. The dealer actually want the copy documents a week before I collect the van to put the registration forwards in one go to the DVLC.
I know the registration number can be issued and they are going to give me it shortly once the other vehicles are dealt with that are going out the door probably @Hyacinth 1 's, as well they are very busy at the moment and the workshops going flat out.
I have arranged and paid for the tracker now and the alarm I will deal with tomorrow so I will be able to get it fitted as soon as I get down home. I'll ask the dealer tomorrow if they will give me a number off their block allocation that will settle the whole problem.
Then the alarm will be fitted to satisfy everybody. What annoyed me was the running around trying to get an answer from the insurers and them trying to get an answer from the underwriters which is the hold up. The newer tax system will allow the road tax to be issued on line but only if the insurers database has MY name on it with the registration, which is why I am trying now to get the answer settled to give enough for it to be on the system for two week time. I did not know they would be so insistent that these items were so important. I was going to leave Wifey inside the van, and she would guard it better than any alarm.
Also IMHO the Thatcham approved is a load of rubbish as my last van had one and it was total poo, it was unreliable and poorly fitted, it really only wanted to go off when I or Wifey was actually in it and it had got out of sync with the central loacking???? It seems a bit a bit of an old boys club to me. The factory fitted one is as good as you get.
The days of the vehicle dealer sending somebody off to the local vehicle registration office went a couple of years ago for efficiency savings, so it is all done at SA1. The dealers must have a person doing these registration all day and every day and the list must be getting longer all the time, they are going to do it alright but it is my responsibility to get the insurance. just a bit of a faff about. all because of the value of the van. There MUST be a load of new vans going on the road now. maybe there has been an upturn in the economy or are the wrinklies all getting the inheritance money out of the mattress's. I'm still getting Twitchy in anticipation, I have never spent this much before and it make me nervous.

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Everywhere else a dealer can register the vehicle on your behalf. The V5 will be in your name and you will show as the only owner. You do not need to provide anything to the dealer apart from the name you want the vehicle registered in and the address that you want it to be registered at.
That's exactly my recent experience...
As soon as the dealer had the vin number from the manufacturer, he gave the dvla the details and I received the registration documents with the vehicle reg number.. .
Andy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would try another insurer. I have mine insured with the C&CC. They insured the van on the VIN. I also had to have a tracker fitted because of the value. C&CC promoted an Appello Geo tracker ( www.cantrack.com) I got one at a discount and the C&CC insured the van while the tracker was sent through the post. It's a self fit monitored system.
My insurance is due at the end of the month. The premium is £247 and around £60 for another years tracker subscription. Not bad, I thought.
They didn't require an alarm to be fitted, our van has the factory immobiliser and deadlocks. ( and two other well hidden trackers!)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All settled now. I spoke the nice lady who does all the registrations for that dealer. She had my details out in front of her and was doing it when I rang. The registration number is in my hand now and she explained how the system works.. They get my details and the form is filled out, ready to be sent to me to arrive by 14 days before the delivery . I sign and return to her and when I PAY and COLLECT the vehicle, she then taxes it from that day by internet to DVLC. I have to send a copy of the insurance certificate and it should by then have gone on the MID so is shown as valid against me. The V5 will be sent to me direct from DVLC at Swansea.
All this is to stop the failure of me to pay after some happening( dropping dead from anticipation) and the van being already registered in my name and them losing a load of money as it is secondhand. It does pay to speak direct to the engine driver sometimes.
All I need to do is pay for the insurance and then get the security items fitted ASAP, Then I can pick it up on the 27th. It is an awful registration number though, I will have to change it for the car number.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
All this is to stop the failure of me to pay after some happening( dropping dead from anticipation) and the van being already registered in my name and them losing a load of money as it is secondhand. .

Unless they have changed the system you always used to be able to un-register a vehicle that had already been registered in cases like that ,or where it had been registered as a 'prize' & was not wanted & re-sold. I bought one years ago that was already registered, de-registered & then registered when sold to me "new" .:D

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When I bought my new Hymer from Becks as soon as I put down the deposit they gave me their list of pre-booked numbers they have with the DVLA and asked me to tell them which one I wanted. They used that one to register the motorhome in my name.

I used Safeguard (with them already) and they emailed Becks the insurance document so that it could be taxed. They insisted on me having a Cat 1 alarm, but said I had 30 days after the sale to fit it. No problem with Eddie because this was in early December, so not the busiest time for them I guess.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Makes every car dealer and the one motorhome dealer I've used look easy as well :rolleyes:

If it was me faffing like that would have cost them the sale.

It was not the dealer, I just couldn't quite understand the nuances of how they were going to actually do it ,until I spoke directly to the Admin Lady in another branch that does the work. She understands exactly how it is done, including leaving box 34 empty to get the correct tax-band for it. The NFU gave me the insurance there and then so I scanned them and sent them directly to the admin lady and received the confirmation straight back. All I need now is to patiently wait and Twitch gently in the corner, House completion tomorrow and the cash goes in the bank ( I HOPE ) Disaster if it doesn't but it was exchanged last week so highly unlikely.
I had to go to the Northlands, because it was the only one in the country that had the right spec garage. I have not bought anything new since my Suzuki T20 in 1967. which I still have, I do make things last you know. It is me who is wearing around the edges.

eroom

Funster
Deceased RIP
Feb 17, 2012
Broadstairs KENT
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Off &On 12 years
At least all you good people have a choice of insurer who you choose. What about us over eighties, we're virtually cattled, with very little choice. At the moment I'm with SAGA and as someone previously said, they charge an arm and a leg even though I've had no claims. Can anyone suggest an alternative broker who accepts us old ones. Billy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back