Any recommendations for the Peak District? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are driving up from norfolk for a week with the dog to see if he is any happier in the van than last time.
Does anyone have any favourite Peak campsites or overnight stops? The idea is for good walks and places we can let him off the lead. (He's a springer/pointer)
Also stops en route from norfolk would be appreciated. We'll probably look at the Brit Stops book again.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Castleton just to the South of Ladybower Reservoir.

There are great walks around the area and the small village has about 10 pubs.

There's a lovely little C&CC CS called Fields Farm that I can recommend.

There's also a club site owned by the other lot but I can't in all good conscience recommend that.

Don't know where in Norfolk you are but it's about 4 hours from Norwich so wouldn't really need a stop over unless you desperately wanted to.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Buxton CC site is lovely and a great walk through the woods into town.
The CC site at Castleton is really nice as well and close to the village.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
Yes we are in norwich.
I'll have a look at those.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Did you get a new bed or igloo for your dog? I hope he travels better. It is such a worry when they don't travel well.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Allan and Loren
- no it's not travel problems - it's us leaving the van even for a short time and non stop crying howling barking that sounds like he's being murdered and is upsetting for other campers.
He's had separation anxieties all his life (he's 4) and last time we felt like prisoners in the van. We now have a frozen meat filled kong strategy that we hope will allow us to have short trips away. It works at home for about two - four hours. We have been giving him dinner in the van on our drive for a few days now and yesterday I was able to close the door with him inside eating so that is progress. Our last two day trip with him was at the same time we'd just moved house (to buy the van!) so maybe he was particularly unsettled and now will be calmer after three months in our new house.
We most likely won't be able to take long trips with him but luckily my daughter lives in our house and is happy to have him but we wanted to give her a break as she can never have nights away and being a student she'd like to.
Apart from that he is a perfect companion in every way and we'd love to have him , we'd walk more and he'd be a good guard dog too but sadly it looks like it's not to be. We'll see how we get on in the Peaks next week.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There is a site up at Newhaven, (just off the Ashbourne/Buxton road,sign posted Longcliffe/Cromford ?) This gives access to the old railway line trails and you can WALK forever in several directions,skirting around old quarries and surrounded by super scenery. Look on a map,or Google it If it is in the right place,i can get more info from a mate in Ashbourne .
There is another near the "Bull in't Thorn ?" pub,Nearer Buxton,but you may get road noise and if there is no access to the trails,the main road is not for walking on.....
That area of Derbyshire,is second only to Yorkshire. Enjoy.
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Brilliant I am so excited!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi @Jac Sprat
I really hope he settles for you. We take our dogs and they love it. Tilly isn't great at travelling so I got her an igloo that sits behind our seat and she feels secure now so travels well. Both bark when we leave them in the van but we've stopped out of sight and listened and they stop after a couple of minutes and settle down.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Stayed here last week and last year - very nice site and lots of good doggy walks (and good dog friendly pubs within walking distance.
You can also get senior citizens discount (sorry, no offence, haven't a clue how old you are, just thought I'd mention it). :)

www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Chatsworth Park site is in a splendid location. Never been, just driven past.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another vote for CC site at Castleton(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's funny that so many people seem to love the Castleton CC site. Our experience the one and only time we stayed there was the main reason I cancelled my CC membership. (n)

It was also the site of the funniest episode of tugger watching I've ever had. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's funny that so many people seem to love the Casterton CC site. Our experience the one and only time we stayed there was the main reason I cancelled my CC membership. (n)

It was also the site of the funniest episode of tugger watching I've ever had. :D
Are you confusing Casterton with Castleton Nick?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are you confusing Casterton with Castleton Nick?

No I'm not.

Sorry, I got autocorrected :LOL::LOL::LOL: I don't even know where Casterton is.

We found Fields Farm CS though which is a thousand times nicer than the CC site so it's all good (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Another one for Castleton but we usually stay on the cc site. Great walking - however there are sheep usually wandering around, not sure if your dog is ok?

Not the Peak District but the CC Clumber Park site offers plenty of walking and is a beautiful setting, just off the A1.

Hope your dog settles - always a conern.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Re the Sheep,this is a bit of a problem in the Peak district,there are many super sites about,but the reason i suggested Newhaven,was the fact that the Trails are nearby. So ANY site with close access to any of the trails is a winner,as the Sheep are usually the other side of the wall LOL
Chatsworth,super site,but sheep and deer in the park,and the surrounding hills are covered in sheep,if you are one of the people who have mastered Google earth,or can make sense of an Ordnance survey map,check out these many trails through the Peak,then find your site.
Best of luck wherever you lay your heads,enjoy.
Tea Bag
PS. We used to call Yorkshire folks "Wooly Backs" but Debyshire is catching up..Baaaa Humbug LOL

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Castleton, Rowter Farm is out favourite. Just at the top of Winnats Pass.

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
Stayed here last week and last year - very nice site and lots of good doggy walks (and good dog friendly pubs within walking distance.
You can also get senior citizens discount (sorry, no offence, haven't a clue how old you are, just thought I'd mention it). :)

www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk

And the beauty of this (very good) site is that there is a lovely walk into Castleton along the river from Hope.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
And the beauty of this (very good) site is that there is a lovely walk into Castleton along the river from Hope.
There is but the stiles are awful with dogs, I posted about this when we stayed here, last . Love the walk, always did it when the kids were with us, pre dog days.....:(

Edit: link added
Broken Link Removed

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It is a lovely walk but with all the rain gets v very waterlogged in places.
As it is lambing time all country walks will be dogs on leads I think.
Have a great time.
We walk along the road from Castleton to Hope , there is a great little curry place called the Curry Cabin only 16 seats but does a takeaway delivery! We booked and it was TYO beer/wine and was tasty!

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Chatsworth Park site is in a splendid location. Never been, just driven past.
Just don't bother trying to go there weekends and school holidays. Always fully booked. Been trying for 3 years to book a pitch there finally managed to get one for August this year.

My vote goes for Buxton CC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back