Garmin Avtec camper vs normal camper (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Looking on Amazon there is a Garmin camper for around £279
And an Avtec Garmin club edition one for £299
Is the second one any better do you know?

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
What-o Jack,
Cannot help in regards the Garmin Club but we have the camper version and find it very useful. You do have to tailor it to your needs,I turned of the speed limit warning beep,because it drives you crazy,it goes off everytime you approach a maximum speed limit and you know how many there are of those !!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise I find it very useful,warns of steep hills and cross wind,also mobile and fixed speed cameras.
Hope this helps,good luck useing whatever you buy. Regards Frank.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
What-o Jack,
Cannot help in regards the Garmin Club but we have the camper version and find it very useful. You do have to tailor it to your needs,I turned of the speed limit warning beep,because it drives you crazy,it goes off everytime you approach a maximum speed limit and you know how many there are of those !!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise I find it very useful,warns of steep hills and cross wind,also mobile and fixed speed cameras.
Hope this helps,good luck useing whatever you buy. Regards Frank.

How does it know it's windy ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I got quite excited when I read the OP. However I have a Garmin nuvi 3590 LT and it takes me down some of the most stupid roads imaginable. My wife has to keep the book of maps on her knee at all times. It is set for the fastest route but recently diverted me onto white roads and added 5 miles to a 15 mile trip! so, not too impressed by Garmin! but does TomTom use the same mapping info?

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I got quite excited when I read the OP. However I have a Garmin nuvi 3590 LT and it takes me down some of the most stupid roads imaginable.
That will be because it assumes you're a car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
but does TomTom use the same mapping info?
No. Garmin use Here maps (I think) but TomTom use TeleAtlas, a company which they bought some years ago.

I'm currently comparing the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D and the TomTom Pro Truck 5150 and find that Garmin does tend to use smaller roads more readily. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are narrow though or, as mentioned in other threads, that roads used by buses are comfortable for all motorhome drivers :)

That will be because it assumes you're a car.
Absolutely. One also has to remember that choosing one route as faster than another depends on the software tolerances and the difference can be seconds rather than minutes.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
However, in the Garmin 660 LMT-D, I have set the length, height and width with extra allowances and works ideal on motorhome mode.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back