WiFi Hotspot in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have been looking at the above option for a while and after seeing it work in action on a Spanish camp-site I decided I would have a go at doing it your self rather than paying for an installation by a competent person. (besides, I have time on my hand and enjoy completing little projects on my own).
So first i started looking at the kit required, I boost and other options and came across this which looked great.
http://www.acdctv.co.uk/product/accessories/kuma-wifi-wireless-hotspot-package/#prettyPhoto

Then while exploring Amazon found the exact same set up for both items at £93.00 (look at frequently bought together section).
Amazon product ASIN B00BBU7BNM
Downside : The Ariel states only compatible up to windows 8.1 and mini CD disc does not work in Windows 10. However when I connected it directly to my laptop it was detected and started to show WiFi sites that my lap top could not.
Upside! It works well with the USB WiFi repeater and when connected together the list of wiFi connections it can find is amazing.

I will try and show the difference.
Below is the number of WiFi networks my new expensive Laptop has detected.
Now out to the van to connect to my Wifi Areiel and repeater.

By the way comments both good and bad are welcome.
upload_2016-5-9_11-52-15.png

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Now connected up in van on driveway and Aeriel has immediately picked up 29 Networks. I think this will be brilliant when used in anger. Especially if on camp sites where only one user can log in to the system. This will allow me multiple connections from inside my motorhome.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have an iBoost system which is the same thing really

You're right when you say it comes into its own when you are somewhere like a campsite that only allows single users to connect.

We've found it far more successful in the UK than in Europe in terms of finding open networks we can connect to. We do tend to avoid campsites as much as we can though so that might have something to do with it.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agreed Nick, almost all of our adventures are in Europe and beyond. We find the UK very restrictive and overpriced. There are one or two exceptions, i.e. Shell Island and hopefully, with roaming charges coming down WiFi and in particular Free WiFi will become more accessible both here and abroad.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Great solution at a good price, kit is similar to the stuff i've had for a few years now. Far far cheaper than the stuff motorhome wifi supply with the same capability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We use a similar system, with the antenna mounted on top of a Status Telescopic Pole and routed through a marine grade usb connector.
We use it quite a lot in France for logging into 'fon' and any other local feed we find.
Cheers
Ed
2014-07-10 10.03.13.jpg
2014-07-10 10.03.20.jpg
2014-07-10 10.03.44.jpg

The brackets for the pole are self adhesive, also the pole is positioned close to a window so it can be rotated from inside the van when searching for connections.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use the same Alfa router with a 14 quid waterproof directional aerial from eBay, best so far is picking up a connection 2 miles across a bay.:)
My aerial won't work with anything later than XP which is a pain as it's a lot quicker to use via a PC to see the available connections & check you can connect, I get fed up with the router having to reboot it every time you make a change.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If I can't get a signal I read a book, seriously though bought all the kit a few years ago (I boost etc) just can't be arsed with it though!

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We use a similar system, with the antenna mounted on top of a Status Telescopic Pole and routed through a marine grade usb connector.
We use it quite a lot in France for logging into 'fon' and any other local feed we find.
Cheers
Ed
View attachment 105046 View attachment 105047 View attachment 105048
The brackets for the pole are self adhesive, also the pole is positioned close to a window so it can be rotated from inside the van when searching for connections.
Your WiFi Ariel and lead are identical to mine. At present I have mine attached to the top of a telescopic washing brush handle and simply tie it to my wing mirror with a elastic bungee cord. Very simple and quick to erect. Might look at other options as time goes on. Yours looks OK!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Better than drowning worms!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Your WiFi Ariel and lead are identical to mine. At present I have mine attached to the top of a telescopic washing brush handle and simply tie it to my wing mirror with a elastic bungee cord. Very simple and quick to erect. Might look at other options as time goes on. Yours looks OK!
I changed the mounting on mine to one of the windscreen sucker mountings and just pop it on the roof via a rooflight.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Do you have a link for that please.
The supplier I bought from not selling it now but this .

My aerial has a standard 1/4" Whitworth thread as used on cameras, I had to mod the lock nut a bit as the thread on my areial is recesed and used thread lock on it as it only went in a couple of turns.
Sticks well to the mottled GRP panels on my roof providing I wipe it with a damp cloth first.

My Aerial is a Leguang LG-N120

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
My iboost lives in a plastic box stuck down to the van roof with the cable permanently connected to the router which lives on a shelf near the TV. When I use it I just open the rooflight take it out of the box and stand it up in the direction of the signal.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought the Solwise USB Panel Aerial direct from Solwise a couple of years back, their technical support is excellent and friendly. Prices are still competitive too. It makes connecting to remote site wifi and public access points far easier. I sometimes use the Solwise USB wifi repeater but my old Asus Netbook with Connectify Software is also very effective for sharing wifi with ipad and iphone. I particularly like that in routed mode all connected devices appear as one to the wifi provider, no need to sign out one device before connecting another.

One problem I recently encountered using windows was selecting a BT wifi with fon, there were 2 available according my issider software but windows only shows them as one and then automatically selects the one it thinks is strongest. Unfortunately the strongest one was permanently busy/broken and I could not find a way of selecting the other one. I have susequently found that the Solwise USB Aerial uses a Ralink chipset and that there is a downloadable Railink Utility that not only shows all the available networks but allows you to select and connect to any of them, unlike windows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back