Android Tablet WiFi boosters (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi folks. Plenty of talk on here about WiFi boosters that are PC based are there such things as WiFi signal boosters for Android Tablets or even Android phones? I did try setting up a hotspot from my phone but that only works if you are either in range of a basic WiFi signal or via the mobile network. I'm looking to boost the strength of a weak WiFi signal that might be available in the area. Thanks, Pete.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The iBoost works on anything. There are others available that are less expensive but IMHO the support provided by MotorhomeWiFi is more than worth paying slightly more for their product.

I believe the ones that people mention as only working with a particular version of Windows usually include a USB dongle thing that communicates with the antenna. Obviously tablets don't usually have USB ports hence these systems can't be used with them.

The ones like iBoost include a wireless router, instead of a USB device, so you connect your devices to it in the same way as you would with your router at home.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's already been posted today I think, the PC is optional. The high gain aerial plugs into a matching wireless router and bob's your uncle.

Here is a guide, available cheaper fortunately.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The iBoost works on anything. There are others available that are less expensive but IMHO the support provided by MotorhomeWiFi is more than worth paying slightly more for their product.

I believe the ones that people mention as only working with a particular version of Windows usually include a USB dongle thing that communicates with the antenna. Obviously tablets don't usually have USB ports hence these systems can't be used with them.

The ones like iBoost include a wireless router, instead of a USB device, so you connect your devices to it in the same way as you would with your router at home.
You can convert some phone and android tablets to take USB devices using a USB OTG cable (on the go) I use one to connect my 1TB HDD to my phone and tablet. Never tried to connect anything else as never had a problem getting a WiFi signal.
20160509_172534.jpg

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks folks. Perhaps it's me but still don't see anything that will boost an incoming weak WiFi signal for a android tablet or phone.
The thread. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/wifi-hotspot-in-motorhome.130459/ seems to only refer to use with windows and also it needs to be a 12v (or less
) supplied unit. I tried looking for 12v WiFi boosters and they all seem to need to plug into a WiFi landline.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks folks. Perhaps it's me but still don't see anything that will boost an incoming weak WiFi signal for a android tablet or phone.

Pete, that's exactly what an iBoost does!

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Pete, that's exactly what an iBoost does!

Is MotorhomeWifi a member on here? Tried searching that name but perhaps he has a different handle on here?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hard to compete with @Addie on customer service but you can buy very similar kit that does exactly the same from solwise. http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-outdoor.htm
including the router, the external aerial and 12v lead it comes to under £90. setup is pretty simple and when done once or possibly twice, it is a doddle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use a Leguang LG-N120 aerial (about £14 on ebay) and the Alfa R36 from Solwise or Facultly X (approx £50) can get the router cheaper on eBay but can't guaranty which chip set it will have so may not work with the aerial.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A word of warning on these aerials......

The best aerial in the world is not worth a light on a campsite with every camper glued to a computer, especially watching TV. All to often we've been on site with seriously overloaded WiFi.

Villasol for instance, the low cost WiFi just about coped with FUN traffic. If we'd wanted TV we'd have to pay extra for their fast service which comes with a rented router.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back