Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I am booked in to have an Angioplasty on the 1st June, anyone had one, what was it like, I was diagnosed with mild Angina after a silent heart attack in 1993, no probs since, but breathing is now becoming laboured in certain circumstances.
The month's holiday in the USA has had to be cancelled, which we were thinking of anyway as my brother has been diagnosed with lung cancer, not our year so far.:(

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry to hear about your brother, and your impending op. Don't know much about angioplasty but I'm sure others will share their knowledge and experiences.
Good luck, and I hope this year will now be on an upturn for you and your family.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not personally but the builder who did some work on our house a few weeks ago had had stents fitted just a week before he came here. Stents are often fitted after an angioplasty I believe, which is the stretching open of a blood vessel with a little balloon. The stent keeps it open.

He wasn't allowed to drive or doing much more than wander around giving instructions to his workers but he said he felt a hundred percent better than before the operation and there was no pain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry to hear about your brother. Good luck with your op. Can't answer your question, but also couldn't just 'like' it.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You will be fine. Many years ago when I was in my late 40's I found I was having problems walking any distance. Bearing in mind I had been in the Army for 25 years it came as a surprise. I was diagnosed with blocked arteries in each leg and recommended to have stents fitted. It went well and within days I was up and about with no pains in my legs, Infact I was able to take a box of chocs up to the hospital operating department from the bottom of Yeovil, something I was unable to do for a number of years. Good luck to you, and to your Brother.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
My 85 year old mother in law had a heart attack the morning after having a new hip fitted and was taken to have four stents fitted. She walked out of hospital five days later and is still going very strong at 92! We always called it her BOGOF operation!

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I had an angiogram 4 years ago, nothing to worry about, they go in through your groin, you will have to shave off half of your pubes, because they go in 2 inches from your old chap, they put a disolving cork in the wound,just go steady for a few days. Unfortunately they could not stent me , so a triple bypass was required. All done 4monts later, living life to the full now, never felt better

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You will be fine. Many years ago when I was in my late 40's I found I was having problems walking any distance. Bearing in mind I had been in the Army for 25 years it came as a surprise. I was diagnosed with blocked arteries in each leg and recommended to have stents fitted. It went well and within days I was up and about with no pains in my legs, Infact I was able to take a box of chocs up to the hospital operating department from the bottom of Yeovil, something I was unable to do for a number of years. Good luck to you, and to your Brother.

Actually this has reminded me.... I was originally told I would need two incisions, one in each groin. As they finished my left leg the operating staff all got together in a sort of rugby scrum! Then Dr Gajraj asked if I would agree to them experimenting a bit!! He said the risky bit was the incisions into the arteries and as I was relativity young with flexible arteries, could they skip doing the second one and route the cathada thingy up through my chest, over the bronchial artery (I think!) and back down to my right leg. Not in much of a position to argue the case I agreed. I watched on the camera screen as they did just that, really unnerving!! :tmi: Sadly, I still have a photo image of the screen shot as it bent it's way through my body, somewhere in the attic!! :roflmto::roflmto:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Just had it done last week, been fit and healthy all my life (50) was up a mountain in the Dolomites (12,000 ft) less than 6 months ago on my way to Venice in the van so felt fine no problems breathing felt great, had a chest pain couple of weeks ago away in van turns out had heart attack within 5 days had a angiogram (throu groin), blocked artery so angioplast couple of days later
Went in throu both wrists (to get either side of blockage) local so awake could watch if you wanted took about 2 hours (usual about hour) home the following day
Not painful but uncomfortable, as I said not really found any difference as I wasn't suffering with breathing just a really bad back that was bugging me at work,now that's gone and it saved my life I suppose
Any question pm me or ask away (y)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Had one done last September,my problem was actually in my legs,but I had said that I had a bit of pain in my chest.
Long story short,was diagnosed with a blockage in a vessel on the return to my heart.
They went in via the wrist and I watched it done,stent placed, and then catheter removed.
They placed a very clever clamp on your wrist,which is transparent so they can monitor the entry site,the clamp is slightly un comfortable untill they start reducing the pressure over a period of 2hours.
Once removed and all vital signs normal I was able to fly back home to the Isle Of Man from Liverpool all done in a day.
I was very nervous before they started,but it really was a doddle,so don't worry to much.
If you need more info PM me.
Have a speedy recovery.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I had a stent fitted 10 years ago, never a problem.

In on monday, usual checks, tuesday morning, shaved the 'area' and then it seemed all and sundry wanted to have a look to see if I had shaved properly, nurses, staff nurses, doctors, kitchen staff, window cleaner, lady on the food trolley, anyone that was passing.
This was because I had refused to let the male nurse shave me.

'I'll do it myself' I told him in no uncertain terms. Wierdo was right upset.

Anyway, down to the theatre and the surgeon checks me out and says, 'I'll go in through your wrist'! :swear2: me! Everyone had seen what looked like the last chicken in Sainsbury's and now he goes a different route!

Out on wednesday. Easy peasy, nowt to worry about. No pain, a few tablets, and orf you jolly well go.

Craig

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Had one done last September,my problem was actually in my legs,but I had said that I had a bit of pain in my chest.
Long story short,was diagnosed with a blockage in a vessel on the return to my heart.
They went in via the wrist and I watched it done,stent placed, and then catheter removed.
They placed a very clever clamp on your wrist,which is transparent so they can monitor the entry site,the clamp is slightly un comfortable untill they start reducing the pressure over a period of 2hours.
Once removed and all vital signs normal I was able to fly back home to the Isle Of Man from Liverpool all done in a day.
I was very nervous before they started,but it really was a doddle,so don't worry to much.
If you need more info PM me.
Have a speedy recovery.
You must have been to Broadgreen then, the same as me. Flew me over on monday, and got the plane back wednesday.

Craig

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Had it done 2 years ago, watched the operation on a screen with the surgeon explaining everything - showed me the collapsed vessel in the heart, explained that a stent, to expand the blood vessel, would be fed through an incision in my wrist. Watched it 'live'......... weird but reassuring .....

Out of hospital 2 days later............ don't worry

(y)(y)(y)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi i'v had 4 angiograms 1 in the groin 3 in the wrist ,the latter being the best quicker and relatively pain free .I found the system in the groin is ok ,its just they no longer put a clamp on but i had someone from the opp theatre had to put his fist and full body weight of pressure on the groin entry for 30mns which i found uncomfortable. Give me the wrist every time .All in all its a straight forward procedure and nothing to stress about and you get the pleasure of watching them doing the job on the monitor .lol

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I can't tell you what it's like to have one personally, but my father in law had one after a heart attack. He was back to his old self in no time at all. Conversely, my father had years of breathing difficulty. His GP wrongly diagnosed asthma. He died from a massive heart attack 2 years ago, if he'd had stents, he would still be with us!
I can only say that from my experience, the alternative to not having one is far worse, especially considering your symptoms!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Had a stent fitted three years ago following a heart attack, it seems I got my dad's nose but my mother's arteries ! As others said, watched it on the screen and not painful but an "odd" sensation. They went in through my wrist, though not before shaving my groin (just in case) and giving me a pair of sheer nylon underpants to wear, made my old chap look like a '60's bank robber :LOL:

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I can't tell you what it's like to have one personally, but my father in law had one after a heart attack. He was back to his old self in no time at all. Conversely, my father had years of breathing difficulty. His GP wrongly diagnosed asthma. He died from a massive heart attack 2 years ago, if he'd had stents, he would still be with us!
I can only say that from my experience, the alternative to not having one is far worse, especially considering your symptoms!

My GP also had origionally diagnosed me with asthma, different inhalers, nothing worked, Then saw a Professor at Cromer hospital who diagnosed angina, ongoing tests since then.
Many thanks for all the information folks, I am reassured by your responses, my brothers prognosis is not so good.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Had it done 14 years ago through groin. Was back 4 weeks ago for a rebore. In at 7.45 am home at 4.00. Through wrist, much easier. No driving for 7 days otherwise brand new. Nothing to worry about and an instant and huge improvement in the angina. It is well worth it.

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Not personally but the builder who did some work on our house a few weeks ago had had stents fitted just a week before he came here. Stents are often fitted after an angioplasty I believe, which is the stretching open of a blood vessel with a little balloon. The stent keeps it open.
Exactly the same for me
He wasn't allowed to drive or doing much more than wander around giving instructions to his workers but he said he felt a hundred percent better than before the operation and there was no pain.[/QUOTEEx

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I know nothing about Angioplasty, in fact Ive just had to look up how to spell it ang got wrong ..twice.
But good luck and best whishes to both yourself and your brother...(y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just remembered, I think you may have to inform your vehicle insurance that you've had it (or was it for the heart attack ?) anyhoo, never made any difference to the premiums.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just remembered, I think you may have to inform your vehicle insurance that you've had it (or was it for the heart attack ?) anyhoo, never made any difference to the premiums.

Ref Insurance...
After both my heart attack and bypass surgery they advised me to let insurance know BUT did state they will tell you they dont need to be advised.. However as they pointed out, at least you have told them and it's on record...

@injebreck99 good luck, it is pretty routine now and as others have said quite straightforward... (y)

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I went into the Norfolk & Norwich hospital yesterday for the op, but they could not get in through my arm as the arteries around my shoulder area were "busy in that area", probalbly due to getting knocked off my BMW in 1983 and wrecking my shoulder, so they tried the groin, but found a diseased artery to my heart, almost certainly due to the silent heart attack I had in 1993, so I am now having to go back in again in the future to have the blood flow tested and them be evaluated for further treatment, I was hoping that they would do everything yesterday all in one go, but no luck.Ho Hum.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My husband had one done last year. They fitted the stent via his wrist and it's made a huge difference to him - we now realise how ill he was.

PM me if you need to and for more info. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had an angiogram back in January....pretty much the same procedure but without the stent.
No discomfort except the initial local anaesthetic jab in wrist which stung like hell and a strange but totally painless feeling in my forearm as the catheter was removed.

Still bloody waiting for the triple bypass.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I had an angiogram back in January....pretty much the same procedure but without the stent.
No discomfort except the initial local anaesthetic jab in wrist which stung like hell and a strange but totally painless feeling in my forearm as the catheter was removed.

Still bloody waiting for the triple bypass.

I thought you had a date, or was it a dried fig ...Boom Boom

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I went into the Norfolk & Norwich hospital yesterday for the op, but they could not get in through my arm as the arteries around my shoulder area were "busy in that area", probalbly due to getting knocked off my BMW in 1983 and wrecking my shoulder, so they tried the groin, but found a diseased artery to my heart, almost certainly due to the silent heart attack I had in 1993, so I am now having to go back in again in the future to have the blood flow tested and them be evaluated for further treatment, I was hoping that they would do everything yesterday all in one go, but no luck.Ho Hum.

I had an angiogram and the N&N about two and a half years ago, followed by a mitral valve repair at Papworth a few months later.

I think the doctors and surgeons that do this sort of work are geniuses, the treatment I had was second to none. I'm sure the N&N will get you sorted out soon.

Paul

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Yep not a problem, in the wrist with mine. Fantastic to watch! I then had a stress MIR which was worse as that was so claustrophobic. Found a narrowing but treating with medication at the moment. Fantastic people at Wonford Exeter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back