XGODY 704BT (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have read the few posts about Xgody gps, some negative. They seem to be mainly concerning the truck version of this gps. I don't require the truck version, we're only 7.5m in length and 3500kg. I wondered how anyone has found the car version as it seem okay to me. I currently use a TomTom XL for the UK and Europe but it needs a map update and I thought I could get the Xgody with it's bigger screen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ta, Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It appears that the Xgody machines, like the Nozatec, use pirated software and maps. Spend a few quid more and buy a Garmin. There are usually some good offers on for end of line devices that keep up to date if they have lifetime mapping (one of our sons uses one I bought nearly 6 years ago).

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I don't require the truck version, we're only 7.5m in length and 3500kg.

Are you sure? The "truck" version also deals with width and height you may need this particularly in France where they have a habit of creating by pass routes (souteraines?) for cars with a height limit of 2.8m or less which the car set up would route you through.

In respect of the Xgody704 if you are going to buy one from them get the Xgody718. The 704 only has 4gb of memory and will seriously compromise future updates to maps. The 718 has 8gb. If possible get one that also has 256mb of ram, these are currently only available to order from chinese stock.

I bought the 718 and must say that the hardware is a step improvement from the navibuzz one I have been using.

As regards software ( I wont comment on the piracy aspect) I don't believe there is any difference between the car and truck versions it is capable of supporting both. It is the data files and setup options that define the use. My 718 came set up as a car with the truck files missing. Luckily I was able to correct this myself (Xgody were useless in this respect)

A bit of googling and you can find the required files to download.

The IGO software supports a number of function depending on what files are loaded with each country. The only mandatory file is the .fbl file which is the main country map. With this the unit will operate as a sat nav and not use any restrictions thus only useable as a car satnav.

If you want to use the "truck" restrictions then you must have the .ftr file for the country as these contain the restrictions applicable to the roads.

There is one other file that I think you should have, the .fda file. This contains the Driver Alert information and gives you the road signs (give way, school. no entry etc.) and warnings on each road.

There are a number of functions that IGO provides depending on the files loaded, look here to get an understanding of what each does and whether it is important to you. Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Thanks for the above John, food for thought. One reason I fancy the Xgody is the 7" screen, easier for me to see as I use reading glasses. I have towed a caravan, then driven a motorhome on the continent for going on 30 years and and have never been caught out by height/width/weight limits so reckoned I could carry on with a car satnav. Will give the truck version some consideration now.

Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for the above John, food for thought. One reason I fancy the Xgody is the 7" screen, easier for me to see as I use reading glasses. I have towed a caravan, then driven a motorhome on the continent for going on 30 years and and have never been caught out by height/width/weight limits so reckoned I could carry on with a car satnav. Will give the truck version some consideration now.

Bill
If you want a 7" screen you probably need to get a Truck version from whichever manufacturer you choose as the car versions (across all manufacturers) tend to be no larger than 5" whereas Truck sat navs tend to be at least 5".

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
Hi Lunarman, I am looking to buy a truck satnav and just saw your comments here about the Xgody 718. I have looked everywhere to find one with 256mb ram as you suggested, including a few Chinese suppliers, but no luck yet. Are you still happy with yours, performance etc and do you have any suggestions on where to find one with the larger ram ? My current box of tricks is a Chinese " no name " that I bought two years ago from fleabay for small money and when I went to update the maps I came up against the same problems that lots of others have complained of with the update site but in the process I discovered that the maps are 2009 vintage - iGo 8 I think. Anyway I have decided to buy a new box and spent some time researching the current Chinese cheapo offerings and it seems that Xgody have better reputation than most, would greatly appreciate your feelings and advice before I commit hand to pocket this time round.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Mike,

Just to confirm my previous post. I am happy with the performance of the unit it is quicker, smoother and finds the satellites much quicker than my previous one. My big concern is with the map files that were supplied with it, the truck files were missing and the unit could not be relied on as a truck sat nav as it would not have the data to work on.
The seller was useless on this aspect they obviously do not understand the requirements of the software and no amount of explanation could get them to understand. They just sent a link to an updated set of maps without the truck files. Luckily I was able to sort this myself.

A 256 model is available on ebay here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281789962861

If you do purchase one make sure that it has the required truck files before relying on it for a large vehicle.

Regards

John

Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Thanks a lot for that, just working thru the Truck Sat Nav thread now, my head hurts ! I will contact seller re the FTR files and see what they say, thanks again.

Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Just a quick update, I asked the supplier about ftr files and you will not be surprised to hear that I received no response :) I have researched the few other 256mb ram devices currently on offer but all seem to have poor feedback, notably screen issues, so I have decided to take the risk of buying the Xgody 718 256mb from China. I am hoping that by the time it gets here ( Bulgaria ) in about 3-4 weeks I will have a better understanding of the software issues and be able to address any problems myself :unsure: i have my old " no name " unit to practice on in the meantime. Thanks for the help so far and don't be too surprised if I am back here soon looking for more advice :LOL:

Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Well, here's a surprising update - the new xgody 718 arrived from China here in Bulgaria today about two weeks earlier than expected and no demands from our usually super vigilant customs people - really chuffed with that ! I have charged it up and test run it on basic settings and am well impressed so far, the screen is very clear and bright and the operating speed ( finding sats, computing routes etc ) is blindingly quick compared with my old Navteq box, the additional RAM really does do the business. Now, the techie bit ! Where do I find the ftr truck files ? I have looked at the map files ( nearly all q2 2015 ) but can't see any reference to ftr anywhere. I did question seller as reported above and also qualified my order that ftr files would be preloaded so I am not going to post any feedback on fleabay until I can establish whether this otherwise very good unit is compliant.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Mike,

Glad you got the new unit safely.

If you connect it to a pc you will probably find a folder named "primo" in this folder there will be one named "content" which will contain a "map" folder.

In the map folder you will find the files for each country. There may be upto 5 files for each country you will have .fbl file for each country this is the country map for it to use the truck facilities there must also be a .ftr file for the country if it is not there then it will not function as a truck unit and the vhicle size and eight information will be useless.

John

Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Hi John, thanks for that, I thought I was looking in the right location, surprise surprise - no ftr files there at all :) I will now contact seller via fleabay to express my displeasure !! From what I read earlier about this problem I think it is maybe possible to obtain the required ftr files and load them myself, can you confirm that is possible ( bearing in mind that I am to electronics what Himler would have been to Mothercare :LOL: )

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Mike,

Yes it is possible to load the ftr files. What is the naming of the fbl files that you have?

John

Nov 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
I presume it is the title " here " ? seems to apply to all the European maps listed, I also have maps for Oz and NZ that are titled " whereis " Don't need them and will be looking to delete these when I feel confident to do that.

amy

Free Member
May 4, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi I bought a xgody sat nav, they say their office is in china but they also have uk offices (dont tell you address) which is where my item was posted from. i only use it for my car. It is awful. It is complicated to use and wont let you enter a full post code. and it doesnt work. It sends you round in circles, left and right, forward and then back the exact way it just sent you. and you never reach your destination. I wrote to Xgody and they have refused to fix it or refund it. Well they offered me 10% refund from the original price! complete joke. Buy a proper Tom Tom sat nav, its really not worth wasting any money on this, it may be cheaper but is only fit for going in the bin. :(

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
It appears that the Xgody machines, like the Nozatec, use pirated software and maps. Spend a few quid more and buy a Garmin. There are usually some good offers on for end of line devices that keep up to date if they have lifetime mapping (one of our sons uses one I bought nearly 6 years ago).

love the way that you say everything is a pirated copy. hope you have something to back this up with.

ps, where do you think all the software comes from for garmin and tom tom

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Mike,

Glad you got the new unit safely.

If you connect it to a pc you will probably find a folder named "primo" in this folder there will be one named "content" which will contain a "map" folder.

In the map folder you will find the files for each country. There may be upto 5 files for each country you will have .fbl file for each country this is the country map for it to use the truck facilities there must also be a .ftr file for the country if it is not there then it will not function as a truck unit and the vhicle size and eight information will be useless.

John

i have the here maps and ftr files

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Well, I recently updated the SD cards of two XGoody Sat Navs belonging to members of the group we travelled with to Italy. One of the cards came with nothing at all on it at all (the same as @icantremember, whose card I updated last year), and the other card had old maps on it, @Pat4Neil. The latter was over the moon with the updated software and maps, and I am still waiting to hear from the other, @Sallytrafic.

The only problem we've had recently with using truck maps, is that one or two of the countries we have travelled through, do not allow trucks on certain routes, so we have reverted to Car/Motorhome to avoid being directed well out of our way, but added the same dimensions as for Truck/Motorhome.

In general, I am still very pleased with ours, which we have been using for about three years now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
love the way that you say everything is a pirated copy. hope you have something to back this up with.

ps, where do you think all the software comes from for garmin and tom tom
See Broken Link Removed and the rest of the thread.

Mapping for most devices running genuine iGo software is updated through the Naviextras web site. Other genuine manufacturers provide their own support - as Naviextras told me "These navigation devices are called OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) devices. Due to industry practices, the support for OEM devices is provided by the manufacturer of the product.". Such genuine manufacturers will be able to provide proof that their devices run licensed software. They will also have access to up to date (and complete) map files through their supply contracts.

The problems with the Chinese devices are that they can show no such proof and their map sets are both out of date and incomplete. On top of that they advertise "Truck" sat navs and send them out without the truck files on them, hardly the action of genuine suppliers.

Garmin, TomTom &c develop their own software and display credits/copyright details for mapping and other data. Garmin use Nokia's "Here" mapping (formerly Navteq) and TomTom use mapping developed and maintained by Tele Atlas (which company they acquired a few years ago).

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
navtec are still using the here mapping.
as they once owned it , who do you think garmins use.
they even suppy the licences for there software.
everything in china is copied, ill give you that, but some of it is better than what you can buy legally, and made by the same firm.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
navtec are still using the here mapping.
as they once owned it , who do you think garmins use.
they even suppy the licences for there software.
Navteq (not Navtec) don't use Here mapping.
Navteq was an American company which was bought out by Nokia about 8 years or so ago. Nokia later merged Navteq into their Here division. See Wikipedia.

As I mentioned, Garmin use their mapping (historically under both names) but it is properly licensed (there is even a link on the <Broken link removed>).
everything in china is copied, ill give you that, but some of it is better than what you can buy legally, and made by the same firm.
Illegal software = pirate software, glad you agree :)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Are you sure? The "truck" version also deals with width and height you may need this particularly in France where they have a habit of creating by pass routes (souteraines?) for cars with a height limit of 2.8m or less which the car set up would route you through.

In respect of the Xgody704 if you are going to buy one from them get the Xgody718. The 704 only has 4gb of memory and will seriously compromise future updates to maps. The 718 has 8gb. If possible get one that also has 256mb of ram, these are currently only available to order from chinese stock.

I bought the 718 and must say that the hardware is a step improvement from the navibuzz one I have been using.

As regards software ( I wont comment on the piracy aspect) I don't believe there is any difference between the car and truck versions it is capable of supporting both. It is the data files and setup options that define the use. My 718 came set up as a car with the truck files missing. Luckily I was able to correct this myself (Xgody were useless in this respect)

A bit of googling and you can find the required files to download.

The IGO software supports a number of function depending on what files are loaded with each country. The only mandatory file is the .fbl file which is the main country map. With this the unit will operate as a sat nav and not use any restrictions thus only useable as a car satnav.

If you want to use the "truck" restrictions then you must have the .ftr file for the country as these contain the restrictions applicable to the roads.

There is one other file that I think you should have, the .fda file. This contains the Driver Alert information and gives you the road signs (give way, school. no entry etc.) and warnings on each road.

There are a number of functions that IGO provides depending on the files loaded, look here to get an understanding of what each does and whether it is important to you. Broken Link Removed

Hope this helps

I have recently purchased a 704 Xgody and it has an 8gb memory the same as the 718

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ty for your reply, i stand corrected.
but is not all software wrote in china and then loaded on to a chinese made tom tom or garmin.
just saying as iphones are made in china and chinese iphones are just copies, but , sorry to say, are better made
the same with turkish made levis, the copies are better made and that is how you tell the difference

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Well, I recently updated the SD cards of two XGoody Sat Navs belonging to members of the group we travelled with to Italy. One of the cards came with nothing at all on it at all (the same as @icantremember, whose card I updated last year), and the other card had old maps on it, @Pat4Neil. The latter was over the moon with the updated software and maps, and I am still waiting to hear from the other, @Sallytrafic.

The only problem we've had recently with using truck maps, is that one or two of the countries we have travelled through, do not allow trucks on certain routes, so we have reverted to Car/Motorhome to avoid being directed well out of our way, but added the same dimensions as for Truck/Motorhome.

In general, I am still very pleased with ours, which we have been using for about three years now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock i might have to get one of these sat Navs and i seen you had one for about 3 years , can i ask you a few Q's
1. does the unit get enough power from the usb/cig lighter plug to keep the unit running ok for like 8 hrs of driving if needed.??
2. Do you or did you ever have concern about the battery getting to warm??
3. i take it once i have all the "missing files" downloaded then unit works fine on height & weight restricted roads??
The unit im looking at is :
Link Removed

Thanks Trevor

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@Bart

I have had one of these for as long as Jock my answers to your questions are:

1. Yes no problem
2. Never been a problem that I have noticed
3. Yes as long as you have the .ftr files it should work well.

The unit you are looking at is the one I will be upgrading too. The ones with 128mb ram seem to run out of memory at times but only on shut down.

You can get the unit a whole £3 cheaper here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272274841461?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Bart

1. Yes no problem

The unit you are looking at is the one I will be upgrading too. The ones with 128mb ram seem to run out of memory at times but only on shut down.

You can get the unit a whole £3 cheaper here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272274841461?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

@Bart, Wot he said Trevor, cuz e's the Chinese Sat Nav Man on here. (y)

@lunarman. John, I'd be interested to know more about the upgrade at Shrewsbury please.................over the usual wee wet of course. ;)

Cheers,

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Bart

1. Yes no problem

excellent news :)
My plan originally was to use my ipad mini with maps.me ( offline maps ) but i have since discovered that my ipad mini does not have built in GPS , but gets its GPS via then internet , ( as far as im aware anyways ) , so my plan is to take the ipad out a run and see how much Data it uses ( as its using WiFi for its GPS )
Also if i did get the chinese sat nav i would not have to worry about low bridges ( as long as i made sure files were installed ofc )

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Bart

1. Yes no problem

I have ordered the Sat Nav , is there i certain type of micro SD that is better for the Sat Nav ? as i remember when i got a Dash Cam certain types of cards could make the unit freeze due to read / write speed
I'm prob gonna get a 32gb or 64bb card , so i could use it elsewhere in the future.
Or is there enough space on the 8gb that it comes with for all the maps of Europe.??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back