Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

Auto electrics not really my thing but I have hardwired my in car cam via the fuse box with one of those kits that plugs into the fuse box. I chose to take it off of the fog light as I assume that was a non-permanently on one but the camera is still permanently on.

I removed the original fuse and replaced it with the hardwired plug then put the original fuse in the space provided on the hardwire plug. I earthed it to a bolt in the fuse box (slackened the bold off slide the spade in a re tightened).

I did try several other fuses but same thing or it didn't work at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

John

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A cheap multi-meter is invaluable for checking you have sparks but my guess is your earth isn't actually connected to the metal bodywork.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
So if its not earthed it will still supply the unit power? I didnt know it had to go round particular way ..will try that also. Cheers guys.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So if its not earthed it will still supply the unit power? I didnt know it had to go round particular way ..will try that also. Cheers guys.
Yes, it needs two wires, the positive feed and a negative feed.

I'm not an expert on the way you have connected the feed from the fuse but I suspect it is possible to do it so your feed is not fused. You need to ensure that you have picked up from the downstream terminal, so to speak, but safer still to fit an inline fuse, 1A should suffice. Halfords sell them.

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It would be best to start with a 12v tester ( the sort with a bulb in the handle of a pin point probe and a lead with a spring clip on the end). Connect the spring clip to what you think is the earth point and the sharp end to a positive supply. If the lamp lights you have found your good earth point. Then with the clip still on the earth point, probe the fuses or any other supply till you find one that only operates with the ignition on. Connect the positive feed to the camera from this but use an inline fuse.
This is only suitable to do for a low current draw device like your dash cam. High power items would need connecting to the primary supply circuits as they could damage the small wiring in the secondary circuits which is what you are connecting to.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I have one of those tom tom sat nav connectors in the middle of the dash. I would like to remove that and fit my snooper mount in its place. Im guessing theres some where under there i can pick up from to power my sat nav also. Any idea how i remove the tom tom socket in the centre of the dash ...

Attachments

• 1247860411_Fiat20Grande20Punto20Tur.jpg
    1247860411_Fiat20Grande20Punto20Tur.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread