Plymouth/Santander Ferry Cancelled 8 May (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bit of a spanner in the works for our planned trip. The ferry we were getting to Santander tomorrow has been cancelled. No other information but I'm trying to contact Brittany Ferries. The vessel is still afloat and currently heading for Roscoff from Cork. I can only assume they have suffered some techinical problems and it will sit in Roscoff until fixed.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/oldshipid:180999/oldmmsi:228183600/olddate:2016-05-07 19:54:11/zoom:9

Edit: Just checked the BF website and the sailing from Roscoff by the Pont Aven is also cancelled for tomorrow, so this confirms it is going to be repaired there. I guess they won't know how long it will take until it arrives.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What a pain! So what do you do now?

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you let brittany ferries make it up to you . we normally dont have cabins but one time we had to change to portsmouth and got the best cabins for free . i,m sure they will deal with you nicely . always have with me .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What a pain! So what do you do now?
Go shopping tomorrow as we don't have any food in the house, we were planning on dining in the restaurant on the ferry tomorrow night!

If the delay is just a day or so then no problem, any longer and we will see if we can get on a ferry to Roscoff.

Feel for anyone who has travelled down today from further up country.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you should have stocked up with food in your camper . food is more expensive abroad than in uk.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
you should have stocked up with food in your camper . food is more expensive abroad than in uk.
Got a few tins as an emergency but we were planning on finding a Lidls. We are stocked up with 11 weeks of dog food though!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Our ferry from Santander to Plymouth was cancelled last March and because it was caused by a technical problem rather than weather we got 50% of the cost back which was £250. As they booked us on a Bilbao to Portsmouth sailing they also gave us £15 for the mileage between Santander and Bilbao and £40 for the mileage between Plymouth and Portsmouth

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but france is dearer than spain for fuel food etc and colder.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Got a few tins as an emergency but we were planning on finding a Lidls. We are stocked up with 11 weeks of dog food though!
still cheaper in uk.
its amazing how expensive the eu as got . keep a check . we have been for a few years .
mind i,m drinking beer tonight i bought in spain . from lidl there. ha ha .

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We arrived at Roscoff on the Pont Aven yesterday morning, and it had been delayed arriving at and leaving Plymouth by an hour due to technical problems, so there must be something amiss. Nothing we did, honest.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We arrived at Roscoff on the Pont Aven yesterday morning, and it had been delayed arriving at and leaving Plymouth by an hour due to technical problems, so there must be something amiss. Nothing we did, honest.
My wife thinks it has had a few technical problems recently.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Go shopping tomorrow as we don't have any food in the house, we were planning on dining in the restaurant on the ferry tomorrow night!

If the delay is just a day or so then no problem, any longer and we will see if we can get on a ferry to Roscoff.

Feel for anyone who has travelled down today from further up country.
Has happened to us from East Yorkshire and just another night in an, as luck would have it, a delightful Britstops

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes it was late getting to santander when we caught it last month. mind it made up the time on the way to plymouth . could be this new anti air pollution gadget it had fitted over the winter.
they will look after you .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Not in Spain
just spent 6 months in spain so i know what i,m talking about . beer ,fuel tobacco yes cheaper most other things dearer and as been for a few years . well since the pound fell alot from 165 to a quid .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Has happened to us from East Yorkshire and just another night in an, as luck would have it, a delightful Britstops

Another PLUS for Britstops! Sounds like you're making the best of it and starting your holiday anyway :)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It was late coming out of dry dock at the end of March which is why we got the refund, it has been fitted with new scrubbers so could be something to do with that. Don't see how employing dodgy bar staff can affect the engines though.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Another PLUS for Britstops! Sounds like you're making the best of it and starting your holiday anyway :)
Sorry CWH, that was two years ago, we're boringly at home, suffering dramatic sea frets,think the fog horn will be blasting out to sea all night.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mates ferry got cancelled at the end of March from Santander put him on one 2 days later and £330 refund.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry CWH, that was two years ago, we're boringly at home, suffering dramatic sea frets,think the fog horn will be blasting out to sea all night.
oh sorry, my mistake :rolleyes:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
just spent 6 months in spain so i know what i,m talking about . beer ,fuel tobacco yes cheaper most other things dearer and as been for a few years . well since the pound fell alot from 165 to a quid .
Also spent 6 months in Spain and found most things cheaper especially food and petrol

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If anyone is travelling to Plymouth and needs to hole up somewhere until this sorts itself out there is a place just off the A38 which might do for a day or so.

Coming from Exeter, you will pass Ivybridge, then signs for Lee Mill. Very soon after, on a slight incline take the next slip road signed for Smithaleigh.

Pass the garage on your right and at the junction go straight on, ignoring the left turn to Yealmpton. Pass the pub and you will see a big lay-by on your left.

It is close to the A38 but there is an earth bank to keep the worst of the noise away.

There is a big Tesco at Lee Mill for any shopping.

This map shows the campsite there but the lay-by is on the road re-joining the A38.
Broken Link Removed

Edit: Just realised the A38 is closed westbound tonight anyway so the lay by might be busy. :):)

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Well I have lived here for 12 years and I would have to disagree. It might be dearer than it was - as you say when 165 to the quid - Somethings are dearer but, when you take everything into account, nope it's cheaper.

For instance, my council tax for 5 bed 3 bath villa plus 1 bed finca is 180 Euros per year.

But if you are just visiting, then maybe it ain't cheap. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back