Rapido solar question (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Hi there, having looked backwards and forwards through the forums I cannot find any mention of my question, so I’m hoping that the great community of MHF can help.

I have a Rapido 7087F to which I won’t to fix solar panels, I have found the connections in the wardrobe, battery compartment and under the bed, so internal cabling sorted. There are two holes (factory fitted, capped) in the roof to allow cables through the roof to the wardrobe, my question, “is there a particular fitting that can be used with these round holes to seal the cable entry” (all the ones I’ve seen are rectangular).

These holes are 81mm in diameter above the roof and reduce down to 35mm diameter inside.

I have been in touch with the major UK Rapido dealer and Rapido themselves in France via email, and so far no joy.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences in this.
20160507_132019.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You don't say how far apart the holes are however these:

............ are available in many sizes from any electrical trade outlet. Simply drill holes in the underside to match those in the roof then use Sikaflex to glue and seal the box to the roof. Many of the dedicated caravan types have a narrow rim to accept the Sikaflex and none can be accessed once fitted. Try to buy a box with plastic or stainless lid screws so you can remove the lid at a later date. Another good option is a chandlers: any cable entry on a boat really has to be corrosion- and water- proof.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a Rapido but I didn't fit the solar panels myself.

I can give you a more or less direct quote from the installers:

"there is pre-wiring but it's shit so we're going to ignore it and install our own"

Don't know if that helps or not but if you do run your own cabling you don't need to worry about trying to get something to fit odd size holes.

Just out of interest when you say "the major UK Rapido dealer" who do you mean?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The pre wire in mine was far too small and took a ridiculously lo.....ng route.
It came in through the rear offside wardrobe down to the deck right around the island bed to the 12 volt distribution board on the other side from where it went to the batteries all the way up front :LOL:

OP
OP
John745
Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Many thanks to Techno and Nicknic for the info and pictures, it's very thought provoking so I'll rethink my original install process. It would be better to install good quality 6mm cable through the roof on the other side directly above where all the leccy and batteries are.
The dealer I would rather not name but are south of the Thames !
Thanks also to all the other contributors above. cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back