Campsites offf season - Rant!! (1 Viewer)

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I'm sick to death of visiting campsites 'off season', and having to pay what amount to high season rates, with a couple of pounds off. Quite often, where on a site with 50 or so pitches, only one or two are inhabited.

Isn't it about time that the owners decided to try something new??

How about a 75% or more reduction?? "It won't work" I hear you all say:whatthe:

Perhaps it would..... If you ring up an book, the you should pay slightly more, but if you just turn up, and a space is available, why not just pay the hook up fee, plus a couple of pounds for the pitch.

What's the use of all that space if it's empty?? This is what the airlines have found out. If they have a seat vacant close to take off, then they sell it for a few pounds, plus the fuel surcharge. Better a few pounds than nothing.

I for one would be a happy bunny if I could go touring in the winter, if the site fees are reasonable.

Last year, I paid over £600 in site fees, for a two week tour of Eire - yes I know, but mrs Savantuk doesn't like 'wild camping'.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 pitches at £5 a night, is better than no pitches occupied!!

I'm pretty certain that many more campers would venture out if there were cheaper sites in autumn and winter.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Me Too

I'm sick to death of visiting campsites 'off season', and having to pay what amount to high season rates, with a couple of pounds off. Quite often, where on a site with 50 or so pitches, only one or two are inhabited.

Isn't it about time that the owners decided to try something new??

How about a 75% or more reduction?? "It won't work" I hear you all say:whatthe:

Perhaps it would..... If you ring up an book, the you should pay slightly more, but if you just turn up, and a space is available, why not just pay the hook up fee, plus a couple of pounds for the pitch.

What's the use of all that space if it's empty?? This is what the airlines have found out. If they have a seat vacant close to take off, then they sell it for a few pounds, plus the fuel surcharge. Better a few pounds than nothing.

I for one would be a happy bunny if I could go touring in the winter, if the site fees are reasonable.

Last year, I paid over £600 in site fees, for a two week tour of Eire - yes I know, but mrs Savantuk doesn't like 'wild camping'.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that 5 pitches at £5 a night, is better than no pitches occupied!!

I'm pretty certain that many more campers would venture out if there were cheaper sites in autumn and winter.

I'm with you there. Stayed on a few sites on route back from Italy a few years ago paid 13euro for a hook up, showers were cold and owner off site. Thought it a rip off also:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I agree totally but then that is called thinking outside the box, and I don't know that they know what a box is, or is it theyjust don't know how to think.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
You do use more electric in the winter so maybe they should heavily discount non electric pitches?

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
but if you just turn up, and a space is available, why not just pay the hook up fee, plus a couple of pounds for the pitch.

So why don't you do just that? Turn up, and make them an offer. If they say no, move on.

I used to do excatly this with hotels out of season: it was easy to get rooms at 50% or more below the advertised price if you turned up at 6pm in the winter and offered to pay cash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back