Touring west coast of Scotland (1 Viewer)

PCB

Free Member
Sep 12, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Bailey Compact 520
Exp
Newbie, but was a caravanner
Getting ready for a couple of weeks tour of west coast of Scotland, The questions are, when on the island of Mull can we wild camp? any nice places to recommend, then we will move around loch ness to the black isle up from Inverness, again any nice places to park up.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Loads of places on Mull vast area little population .
Just take a drive and pull in and sleep with great morning views.Parking restrictions possible at Calgary bay try the car park near the cliffs arrive late afternoon when the locals have left and stay then move on next morning ,we were woken by the screech of the golden eagles circling the cliffs a wonderful sight .
Great spots around a certain castle with a rocky shoreline ,endless spots in the forests..Fidden Farm campsite is well worth a visit ,great pitches on the shoreline no hookup but park where you want,ideal for a trip to the abbey at Iona .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 21

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
image.jpg
image.jpg

Who says it always rains in Scotland ,second pic is my youngest eating an Ice cream
Sold to us by a local vendor in the car park who advised us we could stay !
But beware there's £ucking huge Rabbits that nick your cone and burrow like mad
Thank God my oldest Louise has my Scottish gene and won't give in without a fight ,as the first photo shows just after she caught the little sod !

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Think @shawn&emma will be best able to help. We stayed on a friends drive last year but did see a couple of foreign vans wilding.

Hello @PCB Think Vlad has pretty much said it all really. Personally wasn't that keen on the wild camping spot at Calgary Bay but loved the beach and surrounding area for walking.
A couple of our favourite spots where one of the many grassy spots along the side of Loch Na Keal, a good single track road follows the loch side but after 6pm when all the tourists have gone for the day very quiet.
Loch Buie on the southern edge. Single track road but plenty of passing places down to a small area on edge of the Loch. Most people go to the right but if you take the rough track to the left about 100yards just pass a large house there's a small area of grass which was our favourite spot on the island. Had many a night there, dark skies, and look to the left hills for golden and to the right hills for white tail Eagles, you'd be pretty unlucky not to see them.
Walk to the left and you will go past the old Moy castle and a little further on you will find Laggan beach which is fantastic.
Don't miss the honesty shed just to the right at the bottom, local fresh cakes and meat reared on the estate and slaughtered at the mull abaartoiur.

Make the most of the island as with the cheaper and more frequent ferries from last October I fear Mull may lose some of its character for ever. But that's progress.

Shawn.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello @PCB Think Vlad has pretty much said it all really. Personally wasn't that keen on the wild camping spot at Calgary Bay but loved the beach and surrounding area for walking.
A couple of our favourite spots where one of the many grassy spots along the side of Loch Na Keal, a good single track road follows the loch side but after 6pm when all the tourists have gone for the day very quiet.
Loch Buie on the southern edge. Single track road but plenty of passing places down to a small area on edge of the Loch. Most people go to the right but if you take the rough track to the left about 100yards just pass a large house there's a small area of grass which was our favourite spot on the island. Had many a night there, dark skies, and look to the left hills for golden and to the right hills for white tail Eagles, you'd be pretty unlucky not to see them.
Walk to the left and you will go past the old Moy castle and a little further on you will find Laggan beach which is fantastic.
Don't miss the honesty shed just to the right at the bottom, local fresh cakes and meat reared on the estate and slaughtered at the mull abaartoiur.

Make the most of the island as with the cheaper and more frequent ferries from last October I fear Mull may lose some of its character for ever. But that's progress.

Shawn.

Would just like to say the wild camping spot at Calgary bay and the rotten toilets weren't for us .We use the facilities in the van and stayed at the beach car park ,a total different location

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back