DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just four more sleeps to go before we set off on our biggest adventure yet. In anticipation of the royalties rolling in, the book cover has already been completed:

famous5.jpg

The plan has been worked out in detail although it probably needs a little more work as it only covers the first 24 hours after we board the ferry at Plymouth this Sunday and arrive in Santander on Monday. After that things are a little fluid although the general idea is to follow a route something like this:

map1.jpg

Don't look too closely at the route above, it represents more of a "line of intention" than a detailed itinerary but it may give the general idea, which is to sneak round the top of the Pyrenees, take a swerve near Toulouse to stay a couple of days with a cousin I haven't seen for forty years then head more or less east, keeping the sea on our right and eventually down along the Croatian coast, visiting one or two islands in the process. The return journey will be along a slightly different route but will end back at Santander at the end of July. Starting and finishing at Santander is a bonkers way to get to Croatia from Plymouth and we probably should plan these things better, but we enjoy this ferry to Spain so we are going this way - so there! :)

Of course we may not get beyond Italy, we shall just have to see how things go. :)

The "crew" on this trip are the DBKs and Charlie the Dog, who will be 8 months old when he boards the ferry and I suspect may be a quivering wreck who has aged ten years when he comes off as he is still young enough to find everything new a strange and potentially frightening experience. He barks at leaves and clouds.

The best news is the forecast for the Bay of Biscay looks very good for the time of our crossing. Given the need to have Charlie on deck as much as possible I suspect we will also be doing quite a bit of whale watching as well.

Roll on Sunday! :):):)

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looks like a great adventure - we're planning a trip to Croaitia in September so will be following your journey with interest. Not many Aires in Croatia, and I'm not a great fan of camp sites, in particular being fenced in on all sides. Maybe the coastal ones directly border the sea?
Enjoy yourselves !

Reactions: DBK
Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
If its as good as your previous adventure,can't wait to follow "The Famous Three"bring it on!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Lots of pictures and especially prices on where you stay please...(y)

Oh and don't forget..... Have a fab time...:)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Looks like a great trip...

We have not long arrived on the Peljesac peninsula in Croatia...looks like your loose ( good idea ) plan may take you there...

Beautifully peaceful and fresh at this time of year...there are still wolves howling in the mountains at night and signs saying beware of the Bears and wild pigs...none spotted so far!

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have a good one .
every day will be an adventure.
you know the rules , no toll roads . avoid m,ways ,avoid dual carriage ways . small roads only .
smile and wave at the locals .
you will miss us though , ha ha .

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That looks like it's going to be a great adventure!really look forward to reading your blog . Have a safe journey and a wonderful time!(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Great looking route. Have a good trip (y)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are not sure if we dare take Charlie to Europe, there is a danger European flora may not recover from his visit.

DSC_0141.JPG

On the fence behind him are the remains of an evergreen clematis. The whole fence should be covered in white blossom but last week Charlie did some early pruning on the lower branches. What remains after he had chewed through most of the branches you can see in the picture. The bench we have added to protect what is left.

Under the bucket is today's effort - a stump of a small camelia previously in full bloom.

But we have forgiven him. Just an extra small twist will have his head back on correctly. :)

DSC_0140.JPG

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck and have a lovely time and don't forget the food pictures (y)
What, photos of fragments of trees and bushes? Might squeeze some human stuff in as well of course. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you "done" Florence ?

If not do it.
That was on the original plan, being a Magic Roundabout fan, but Charlie is going to be a factor in how much traipsing through streets we do and of course taking him into churches etc will be problematic. We will just have to see how we get on and how hot it is going to be. Leaving him alone in the MH for long periods could be risky although his ideas on redistributing the seat covers and interior foam will no doubt be inventive.

Which reminds me, I need to pack a large pair of pliers for potential dental use. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looks like a great trip...

We have not long arrived on the Peljesac peninsula in Croatia...looks like your loose ( good idea ) plan may take you there...

Beautifully peaceful and fresh at this time of year...there are still wolves howling in the mountains at night and signs saying beware of the Bears and wild pigs...none spotted so far!
Any recommendations for good campsites or of course aires (if any) would be much appreciated. I'll be using the ACSI book and CamperContact mostly but personal recommendations will trump my pin in the map approach. :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
camp sites what are they or airres . i forgot you arent allowed to use either of them ,. park not camp.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
camp sites what are they or airres . i forgot you arent allowed to use either of them ,. park not camp.
Slovenia is the same I understand, no "wild camping". Of course people do in out of the way places.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Any recommendations for good campsites or of course aires (if any) would be much appreciated. I'll be using the ACSI book and CamperContact mostly but personal recommendations will trump my pin in the map approach. :)
We have always stayed here...

http://www.maestral-camping.hr/

...when in the Peljesac area but there are several other sites nearby that have an equally good position and might be be better when the area gets busier...we have only ever been to this area in May.

Currently there are only 6 "units" spread around the site so there is loads of space and the facilities are readily available...usually it stays like this for May and then ( we're told) gets gradually busier...wouldn't enjoy being here in August from some of the pics we've seen.

There are numerous inexpensive fairly basic "autocamps" all the way down the coastal road ( Magistrale) South towards Dubrovnik...I think these tend to serve as Aires...fine for an overnight stop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have always stayed here...

http://www.maestral-camping.hr/

...when in the Peljesac area but there are several other sites nearby that have an equally good position and might be be better when the area gets busier...we have only ever been to this area in May.

There are numerous inexpensive fairly basic "autocamps" all the way down the coastal road ( Magistrale) South towards Dubrovnik...I think these tend to serve as Aires...fine for an overnight stop.
Many thanks!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The adventure has already started! Our ferry has been cancelled, no further information available at the moment but it is probably a technical issue. So currently twiddling thumbs awaiting to hear what is happening.

Charlie the Gardner had another good day. I took the bucket off the remains of the camellia this morning. This afternoon he was snoozing out on the gravel, or so we thought. The camelia is now down to ground level with not a leaf or bloom left.

So an eventful day, but trivial stuff really compared to other's problems on the forum at the moment.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A two delay before the off - we are now leaving from Portsmouth at 17:15 for Santander. Still on the Pont Aven fortunately. :)

So off to do some shopping now as we have no food in the house!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Going to get £40 from BF for the extra travelling to Portsmouth. No offers of any more but they did offer to help me make a claim on my travel insurance!

Now for the most pressing question of the day, should we give the dog another bath before we go? He had one on Saturday ready for the ferry on Sunday so I guess he needs another on Monday night. :)

He is currently doing sea otter impressions.

DSC_0145.JPG

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Will watch you with interest. I should like to go to Slovenia and see the Lipizzaner horses at the Lipica Stud. It's on my bucket list! Whatever you see or do, have a great time - it's an impressive route!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I saw on a local forum here that it was said that the Pont Aven is in Le Conquet (?) with propellor problems

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I saw on a local forum here that it was said that the Pont Aven is in Le Conquet (?) with propellor problems
It shows up as in Brest now on the website I linked to earlier - but I hope it isn't a propellor problem as that could take ages to fix. :unsure:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is definitely prop problems , it broke down with them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back