Under seat safe (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I couldn't believe how much was being asked for a safe to go under the passenger seat of my van. We don't carry anything of much value anyway, it's more just somewhere to stash passports and an emergency credit card *just in case* the van gets broken into. I didn't fancy bolting one into a cupboard - too much of a faff to get at, and I think it would be found too easily and too much damage done getting it out if someone did decide to have a go at it.

An easy and relatively cheap solution was this safe from Toolstation - £42 inc delivery:-

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p76617

It's the perfect size to go under the passenger seat on my van (Ducato X244), it just fits between the seat rails. All I had to do then was get a flat piece of steel bar (Ebay!), drill a hole in either end so it will go over the seat frame mountings, bolt it to the bottom of the safe and it's in. Not impossible to remove of course but you'd need to take the passenger seat out first and then unbolt the seat frame to do it.

I liked the fact that the safe isn't one of the digital ones - most of the cheap ones are - no batteries to go flat! It's only made of steel sheet of course but it's enough to deter most thieves from bothering I reckon, if they found it - the plastic seat front clipped back on with only minor modification so it's very inconspicuous.

Steel mounting bar in position:-

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/fleggg/media/DSCN4906_zpsbswj2eie.jpg.html

Safe in place:-

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/fleggg/media/DSCN4901_zpsklfo9b6d.jpg.html

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/fleggg/media/DSCN4902_zpsjpq8rtd8.jpg.html

This is for an X244 Ducato, but I believe the X250 has the same seat frame. Check sizes before ordering!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nice job... ideal place if not already used for a second battery..

we also have one that was fitted by the previous owner.. it has a digital lock but also has a key that can be used if batteries go flat..

I use it for passports, cash, spare cards etc .. gives a little more security than just hiding in a cupboard under the underwear.. :LOL:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We too have a safe under the passenger seat, it's a think iron plate with a lock that's fits the brackets surrounding the seat, works really well. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a safe, I think it would be very hard to find! It's definately not under any seat and is not visible in any way!

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I have one same place in X250, what I like about its position is there is no way it can be forced open with a gemmy etc .

Eric

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@scotjimland I think mine looks quite substantial and not cheap looking but it opened on 7

Probably best not to keep all eggs in one basket if its that easy. I guess theres a lot of opportunist thieves out there but some professionals too.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
How about in the cut out under the cassette toilet?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I guess I wasn't cut out to be thief .. just tried the youtube method without success....

Report card: .. Must try harder :LOL:
Use a mallet, betcha that will work.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
yes, I see what you mean... about as much use a chocolate fireguard :(

will try mine out and see if I can open like that

I was surprised to see how easy it could be to get into the digital safe. We have a Yale so after hearing before about the ease of entry I took the batteries out. Just means finding somewhere else secure to keep the bloody big key that's needed.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
So I am not the only one hiding my bits under my undies then!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hopefully, after searching around trying to locate it, no thief will be able to open my safe or any draws etc. He will need both fingers in his ears cos the Growler will be screemin at him. (y) Hopefully his ears wont bleed onto the carpet.:LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was surprised to see how easy it could be to get into the digital safe. We have a Yale so after hearing before about the ease of entry I took the batteries out. Just means finding somewhere else secure to keep the bloody big key that's needed.
I don't think taking the batteries out makes any difference to the magnet. It will still release the lock and then it can be opened by turning the handle.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The answer to the YouTube attack was simple for me.....

Smear a little grease on the solenoid to damp it. I experimented until I found the right grease and right quantity.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
We too have a safe under the passenger seat, it's a think iron plate with a lock that's fits the brackets surrounding the seat, works really well. :)

I hope it's better than one I saw - it was basically a plate that fitted the front of the underseat aperture, and completely ignored the fact that the plastic panel at the back of the seat frame just pops off with no tools! The sides are only plastic as well, although they would be harder to break through.

Neat job!

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I don't think taking the batteries out makes any difference to the magnet. It will still release the lock and then it can be opened by turning the handle.

Mine doesn't have a turn handle. With the batteries once the code is enterered the safe unlocks and the only other way is by turning the key which unlocks the bolt. Unless I'm missing something.
Shawn

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mine doesn't have a turn handle. With the batteries once the code is enterered the safe unlocks and the only other way is by turning the key which unlocks the bolt. Unless I'm missing something.
Shawn
Sorry, I thought you had a "normal" digital safe without a key. :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Oh yes, will get several photos and info on how to access it, do you want to know where we keep the two keys-separately of course?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Oh yes, will get several photos and info on how to access it, do you want to know where we keep the two keys-separately of course?
Could you please?

Also, where you are planning to leave the van next time you go out for a booze up.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Bench cassette toilets fed from the van water system have a dry flush tank that can be accessed by lifting out the toilet roll holder. We used that area as a safe for years when caravanning. It's possible to tuck things away so if the TR holder is lifted out they're not immediately visible. Never tested though - we were never burgled.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What's wrong with carefully stacking your cash under the mattress?

I know it reduces your headroom a bit but it is kept nicely pressed.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back