Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think there's a gap in the market for basic campsites for people like me

I don't want to pay for showers, toilets, their cleaning and maintenance. Or pot washing facilities or other features

I don't want to pay for, and don't need electricity

My van is self-sufficient with solar panels and 2 large batteries
It's shower and bathroom much nicer than those most sites provide
It holds plenty of water
Probably yours is the same

All I need is somewhere quiet to park - a water tap and somewhere to empty the loo

I don't want to pay for lots of fascilites I don't need, and I really don't understand people who arrive at a site after a journey with fully charged batteries and just seem desparate to hook up, what's that all about?

I know there are some CL's and CS's without hook ups but even those are becoming scarce! And it's not easy to do a search for them either

What do you think? Is there a market or is it just me!

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Absoloutly a market for such places. In France they call them Aires. however,. sadly I cant see them taking off here. We British don't quite get the hang of the community thing to make them work. Councils could make a few extra quid too for putting a few in there areas, but again sadly the councils are not run by people with any buisness accument whatsoever.:Sad:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
They do have them unfourtantely they are mainly in France (Aires) & Germany (Stellplatz). It's a pity some campsites don't have some area set aside for just an overnight stop with just the basic emptying & water for a reasonable price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
There are loads of basic campsites, CS and CL's listed in the CCC 'big book'. Also a large number of members only meets, often in beautiful and interesting locations, which can last a few days to a week, and cost only a couple of pounds a night. The motor caravanners club als list loads of free or cheap sites with few facilities.

My pick?? Anstead CCC site at Beadnell in Northumbria. Water and basic washing facilities only. It's in the most beautiful location, and is right on the beach (well a quick hop over the dunes). Farne Islands, Seahouses, Holy Island (Lindisfarne), Craster, Bambergh and it's castle, and many other beautiful locations a mere few minutes away. The RNLI museum at Seahouses is one of the best in the country.

Basic it may be, but for me, it's the jewel in the CCC crown.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I think there's a gap in the market for basic campsites for people like me

I don't want to pay for showers, toilets, their cleaning and maintenance. Or pot washing facilities or other features

I don't want to pay for, and don't need electricity

My van is self-sufficient with solar panels and 2 large batteries
It's shower and bathroom much nicer than those most sites provide
It holds plenty of water
Probably yours is the same

All I need is somewhere quiet to park - a water tap and somewhere to empty the loo

I don't want to pay for lots of fascilites I don't need, and I really don't understand people who arrive at a site after a journey with fully charged batteries and just seem desparate to hook up, what's that all about?

I know there are some CL's and CS's without hook ups but even those are becoming scarce! And it's not easy to do a search for them either

What do you think? Is there a market or is it just me!

You can always ask on CL / CS sites for a pitch without hookup. Many of our customers say they don't need the electric so pay less for the pitch. We certainly don't mind weather you have the hook up or not and we can't be the only ones. :thumb: :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Absoloutly a market for such places. In France they call them Aires. however,. sadly I cant see them taking off here. We British don't quite get the hang of the community thing to make them work. Councils could make a few extra quid too for putting a few in there areas, but again sadly the councils are not run by people with any buisness accument whatsoever.:Sad:

I think the second sentence is more accurate than the end of the final sentence :Smile: If all it took was business acumen then wouldn't there be people with Dylan's all embracing approach queuing up to purchase plots of land and open up CLs (in towns as well as the countryside)?

The usual reason for councils not unilaterally opening aires is that they have no evidence of the net benefits they could obtain by doing so. If motorhome owners were to approach their local councils with such evidence then the situation might just change (as has happened in a few places).

However, every time I have seen such a suggestion put forward in the past the response has varied between very low and non-existent, indicating that most MH owners in this country are either happy with the status quo or insufficiently unhappy enough to do something themselves to bring about change.

Graham

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Sounds ideal to me. I really cannot see the point in paying for a self contained motorhome and then going on busy commercial sites. They wold be great where there is nowhere to wildcamp.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not just councils who don't see the potential or understand what's needed.

This is an extract from the Farmers Weekly regarding opening a camp site, they only think of what the tugger wants , not the motorhomer..

What do they want then?

Basic facilities in a muddy field won't satisfy holidaymakers who have spent a small fortune purchasing and equipping a modern luxury caravan. They want good access roads, well-planned sites, clean lavatories and showers. They don't want pitches where there is a risk of their caravan sinking in axle-deep, but they do want hook-ups to water, electricity and ideally TV.

In fact more and more caravanners now look for landscaped sites that have a shop, laundry and even a licensed bar. They also expect efficient site maintenance, a well-run booking service and, increasingly, the ability to book over the internet.

I'm sure there are many farms who could provide overnight stopping with minimal facilities, .. but they don't know the market is there.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Not just councils who don't see the potential or understand what's needed.

This is an extract from the Farmers Weekly regarding opening a camp site, they only think of what the tugger wants , not the motorhomer..

I'm sure there are many farms who could provide overnight stopping with minimal facilities, .. but they don't know the market is there.

Were you able to send a correction to the auther of the quote?

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back