Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
As the drop down bed in our 1991 FFB Tabbert becomes increasingly heavy to lift, it is time to change the gas struts, or, more likely, have them changed. However, perhaps due to age, (of the van that is) have been unable to find MoHo accessory supplier prepared or willing to track the parts here in Spain.
So, I guess it comes down, scarily, to a DIY project.

Can anybody explain the data off the label attached to the arms (see photo) and suggest a UK source prepared to post to Spain?
Closed (ie bed down position) the arms are 37.5cm long. Do I need bed up measurement also?

IMG_20160408_152220.jpg
IMG_20160408_152220.jpg IMG_20160408_152317.jpg

Bryan

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah got mine for my old Hymer from them.
Top company to deal with know their stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
@scotjimland After many emails back and forth to SGS Engineering we finally came up with gas struts which I am told will do the job........ £103 for the pair inc postage to Spain. Only potential supplier here in Spain wanted €120 Each and 6+ weeks delivery.
Many thanks for the contact details, looks like we'll be back on road sooner than we thought as the replacements are on the way.

Bryan

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
@scotjimland Spoke too soon :confused:

Received gas struts, in Spain, from SGS but totally the wrong sizes in spite of precise measurements being sent via their web site ordering system.....twice!!! Their complaints dept have responded very promptly and I am told the "correct" struts are being dispatched today 4 May.
Last lot took best part of two weeks to arrive so guess our planned departure is now on hold pending arrival.....Bummer!!

Top one in photo is original, the other fits........ A dinky toy maybe???

Ho hum!!! Joys of mh'ing.

IMG_20160503_103930.jpg

Bryan.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We considered ordering the gas struts from SGS through the internet, but were unsure if we could provide the correct measurements, so as we live only about 30 mins away, I went to their warehouse with one of the struts, so they could give us the correct ones, and waited half an hour and they made them up.

It is quite difficult to fit them, we only had one to fit, ours is a Rapido a class.

If the ones you have ordered are wrong again, you could send them to me @bryandh and I could take them their to get the correct sizes and send out to you, let me know.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We considered ordering the gas struts from SGS through the internet, but were unsure if we could provide the correct measurements, so as we live only about 30 mins away, I went to their warehouse with one of the struts, so they could give us the correct ones, and waited half an hour and they made them up.

It is quite difficult to fit them, we only had one to fit, ours is a Rapido a class.

If the ones you have ordered are wrong again, you could send them to me @bryandh and I could take them their to get the correct sizes and send out to you, let me know.

Very generous offer @weekenders, hope I don't have to take you up on it!!(y)

The on line order system is very user friendly providing a schematic of a gas strut showing exactly what measurements are needed and if I could follow it ........ Anybody can!! Having said that, the above photo shows the result of my measuring skills!!!!

Anybody interested, follow link to web page.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/enquiry-form

Bryan

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Very generous offer @weekenders, hope I don't have to take you up on it!!(y)

The on line order system is very user friendly providing a schematic of a gas strut showing exactly what measurements are needed and if I could follow it ........ Anybody can!! Having said that, the above photo shows the result of my measuring skills!!!!

Anybody interested, follow link to web page.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/enquiry-form

Bryan
looks like inches vs centimetres to me...

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Mr Hils actually went to SGS for new gas struts too. They didn't have the size so they made him a pair. One went on easily, but then we faffed about with the other one for hours contorting ourselves in ways a body was never meant to go,before we realised that although they were both the same length one of them was 2mm out with where the bracket (?) actually fitted on to the bed. As by this time we had got half the village involved with trying to fit the thing a neighbour with a workshop offered to trim it a bit.

Mattbrown

Free Member
Jan 14, 2018
Funster No
As the drop down bed in our 1991 FFB Tabbert becomes increasingly heavy to lift, it is time to change the gas struts, or, more likely, have them changed. However, perhaps due to age, (of the van that is) have been unable to find MoHo accessory supplier prepared or willing to track the parts here in Spain.
So, I guess it comes down, scarily, to a DIY project.

Can anybody explain the data off the label attached to the arms (see photo) and suggest a UK source prepared to post to Spain?
Closed (ie bed down position) the arms are 37.5cm long. Do I need bed up measurement also?

View attachment 100265 View attachment 100265 View attachment 100266

Bryan

Hi, I know it has been a while since you replaced your struts. I am also an ffb owner but someone has removed the pull down bed, I have been searching and looking for the hinge mechanism to reinstate the bed but have not found any, if you see this and still have the motorhome would it be possible for you to photograph the mechanism and send me the measurements of the set up? I would be most greatful

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi, I know it has been a while since you replaced your struts. I am also an ffb owner but someone has removed the pull down bed, I have been searching and looking for the hinge mechanism to reinstate the bed but have not found any, if you see this and still have the motorhome would it be possible for you to photograph the mechanism and send me the measurements of the set up? I would be most greatful
If you tag the op @bryandh the alerts will notify him of your post.
Hth Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back