Where to go for a few days up to a couple of hours from Hull (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Sitting tonight decided I wanted to get away for a few days, well up to a week. Ok he says sort it out and we will go, now stumped as to where. Like to be near water, but not essential, some decent walking, ie strolling not hiking, or biking and ale. Serves me right but just for once would like not to have to 'sort it out'. Happy for ths, rallies, cl/cs sites.
Go on where would you head?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The firs cc site near Belper,Derbyshire,lovely nice easy walking and some great views of the peak district ..Roy

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
North west Norfolk is an easy run from hull

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
We stayed here last week http://hookshousefarm.co.uk/ You can walk to Robin Hoods Bay. Bus outside the site to Whitby Scarborough. Fab views.
Stayed here when we got our first van, some lads on way home thought it would be fun to unhook our electric might be good to give it a second chance.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Withernsea or Saltfleet. North or south.
We have stayéd at Park Resorts out of season for less than £8 a night. (But only when we have to!!!)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Stay well clear of HULL!! It's full of ladies of ill repute, who offer their services for three groats and a viking's helmet, drinking dens that offer happy hour at 1953 prices, cigs that cost 1/-10p for 20, petrol at 3/-6d a gallon, and bread at 5 pence a loaf............:( Terrible place to visit.

Now, Skegness, on the other hand..........(y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Stay well clear of HULL!! It's full of ladies of ill repute, who offer their services for three groats and a viking's helmet, drinking dens that offer happy hour at 1953 prices, cigs that cost 1/-10p for 20, petrol at 3/-6d a gallon, and bread at 5 pence a loaf............:( Terrible place to visit.

..(y)(y)(y)(y)
And there was me thinking that was Lancaster ;)

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
John's been to Skeggie loads of times, I've never stayed, but been for the day, think that was just about right.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Now that is on our to-do list any idea of best place to stay. hook up would be good, but we can manage 4/5 days without, longer if the sun shines.

Sorry we only stayed over night in the car parks. There is one right next to Iron Bridge itself.

upload_2016-5-3_22-47-32.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Now, Skegness, on the other hand..........(y)(y)(y)(y)
You seem to be VERY well versed in the delights of Hull Tootsy ... :X3:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We like Withernsea and often park up on the North Promenade for the night, then off up North to Hornsea and depending on time available, tootle further up the coast, an alternative would be to go South of Withernsea and end up at Spurn Point.

?

Deleted User
Four hours north where i live in East lothian. Quite a few clean empty sandy beached, John Muir walkways what can be as lon or short as you want. Area has a fair few caravan sites. My town (North Berwick) Has two and town is a 15 minute walk from them. Plenty pubs and restaurants. We also have a train station if you fancy a pop into Edinburgh. 20 minutes to Waverley station and costs just over six quid off peak.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
From Hull it's a nice tootle to Filey Brigg site or Bridlington CC site going north or Sutton on sea CC site going south, though Skegness sands CC is very nicely placed. or Clumber Park CC, all within a couple of hours. Loads more but these are some we do.
Don't forget York too and the new Fulford site as Rowntree Park CC is always booked up.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ironbridge - no campsites there or really close.

However Blist's Hill is at least one day out on it's own, then if you want to do eg the tile factory at Jackport, and the fantastic Coalport museum another day.

There are other museums and things of interest so the thing to do is buy an Ironbridge 'passport' each when you get to the first site you want to visit. This allows you one entrance to each one and is valid for a year - so you don't have to do them all in one day by any means.

None of the sites is in easy walking distance of each other - well dotted about - and of course the gorge itself is fairly precipitous in and out. Blist's Hill isn't right at the bottom, it's on the way in from Telford direction Coalport is on the same side but hand a left at the bridge and it's a way along that road - and Jackport is on the other side of the river anyway. You can't cross the iron bridge by vehicle incidentally - only on foot.

I'd be more inclined to choose a campsite somewhere else in striking distance - Wolverley maybe? - handy for Kidderminster and Bewdley, Kinver Edge for walking - several pubs in Wolverley village itself at least 2 of them serving good food - plenty of people live in Wolverley - large houses in equally large ground mainly! (Bob Plant and his family used to live there and Mk I husband was forever seeing him with his latest flame - who got progressively younger as he 'matured' LOL) and walks along the canal. Lovely! Or maybe Much Wenlock? - Wenlock Edge - famous beauty spot and popular for hang gliding. And drive to Ironbridge Gorge itself as required.

If you visit Blist's Hill first - shedloads of tourist info both about the Gorge itself and other local 'don't miss' places you may never have heard of yet!

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Thanks all, we will most probably take the motorbike for transport, providing forecast is good, I am a fair weather pillion lol Wonder how we would get on with parking a 7.3M motorhome on the carpark overnight. Will have a look at pub stopovers too. Love the Yorkshire coast, but fancy a little further afield.
Notakwak, lovely area, but soon as I get over the border I seem to head for birthplace and family so dont always get much further than Ayrshire lol

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Have you tried Northumberland? Lovely coast Durham is a great city with an aire on rugby club site and Hadrians wall is really interesting! Have a great trip!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you don't want to travel far, there is a nice CL at Louth. Lovely little market town. The CL is right next to Hubbards Hills. which is a beautiful park with a nice walk.
The town has loads of great independent shops. It has plenty of old fashioned boozers as well. The Church is worth a visit as the spire is humungous.

The CL is called HappyFord and is in the book.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish

Directions?

?

Deleted User
Notakwak, lovely area, but soon as I get over the border I seem to head for birthplace and family so dont always get much further than Ayrshire lol

Take away the temptation and stick with the A1. Not been over Ayrshire myself in years. I had family down Dumfries so when down on the bike i would ride up the west coast road. Get to Port Glasgow and it was all down hill from there when heading back to Edinburgh. The greenery went for concrete :(

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Now that is on our to-do list any idea of best place to stay. hook up would be good, but we can manage 4/5 days without, longer if the sun shines.

Well worth visiting Ironbridge - and the rest of Shropshire - but I'd say that, in a motorhome, it's probably nearer 3 hours from Hull than 2.
This is a very nice campsite http://www.sytchecaravanandcamping.co.uk/
Probably about 5 miles from Ironbridge, but in easy walking distance into Much Wenlock, which is lovely. Also good walking along Wenlock Edge.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sitting tonight decided I wanted to get away for a few days, well up to a week. Ok he says sort it out and we will go, now stumped as to where. Like to be near water, but not essential, some decent walking, ie strolling not hiking, or biking and ale. Serves me right but just for once would like not to have to 'sort it out'. Happy for ths, rallies, cl/cs sites.
Go on where would you head?
If it is a matter of choice then always head south:).....Norfolk and Suffolk would be my choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back