Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK the standard Safari chef is just has the reversible grill plate, the lid/wok and the base/burner assembly, the deluxe one comes with some other cooking 'plates' ... I haven't had one for while so can't be specific.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
When I bought mine the Deluxe had a pizza stone included but not with the standard safari chef.

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Cadac only list one safari chef on their website....and it aint the deluxe.

Broken Link Removed

This is in fact the correct answer ! It doesn't help that most Ebay sellers list the lower spec one without the Pizza stone as "deluxe".
I went for the standard non deluxe type as the pizza stone would never get used by us .

Thanks all !

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
I think I saw at Peterborough cadacs at well over £100 on offer ???

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@Khizzie You could try looking on the likes of ebay for one. Several used one there just now .

If buying new add the price of the hose and regulator on.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
@Khizzie You could try looking on the likes of ebay for one. Several used one there just now .

If buying new add the price of the hose and regulator on.
Cheers @irnbru the one for £89 inc p&p is on ebay and new .the used ones are collect only or quite expensive P&p ...no problem with hose and regulator as already got all that for a different BBQ. Roy

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
To be honest I wouldn't bother, on my phone so a bit abrupt, post later

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
We bought a Cadac a couple of years ago. Found it disappointing after all the hype we'd read on here. If you're a family may be better, but we didn't need it. We've got single use disposables in the van, clean, light and plenty for two of us. The Cadac is at home in the shed!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We bought a Cadac a couple of years ago. Found it disappointing after all the hype we'd read on here. If you're a family may be better, but we didn't need it. We've got single use disposables in the van, clean, light and plenty for two of us. The Cadac is at home in the shed!
Hear what you say ,and that's,what,I have done for years,,but now many sites,are banning those and any charcoal BBQ ,,so I thought I would get a multi use type grill /bbq .and this one seems to fit the bill..

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
Send the link to the £72 one to Go Outdoors ... Ii did that a couple of weeks ago, and paid £65 in store with my email from them about their price beat (10% off the online price you find).
So far, I think the Safari Chef 2 is an improvement over the Safari Chef.

Roberto21

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Northants
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 680 fb
Exp
Since 2013
Looking at Carri 2 model , larger stand etc , ,has anyone got this model and if so how you getting on with it ? Saw on eBay 165 with BBQ plate and aluminium non stick cook pan , bags and all
Rob

Roberto21

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Northants
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 680 fb
Exp
Since 2013
Had o grill last year but suddenly burst into flames for no reason , tried to contact o grill but no joy , shame as great clamshell style gas BBQ

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
we bought the"outdoor chef" barbie ,no complaints whatsoever(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I use the Grill O, ideal for 2 or more , packs up reasonably small , but not as small as the chef 2,( to me the chef 2 looks to small for what we cook)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Looking at Carri 2 model , larger stand etc , ,has anyone got this model and if so how you getting on with it ? Saw on eBay 165 with BBQ plate and aluminium non stick cook pan , bags and all
Rob
We've had the older version of the Carri Chef for years - love it. I think the V2 model has a non-stick bbq plate rather than the enamel one which came with ours so that'd be a good improvement. We mostly use the skottle and the ribbed/flat non-stick grill plate (with or without lid depending on what we're cooking). The only problem we found with it is the size: we have very limited outside storage in our MH which means although it fits, its really awkward and takes up too much space. Its also too big to fit in most sinks so cleaning can sometimes be a bit of faff too.

We just got the Safari Chef 2 because it packs away a lot smaller. The only downside is the height: have to use it on an aluminium table to have it at a reasonable level. We'll keep the Carri Chef though to use at home (for those times its not worth lighting the charcoal one).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We just got the Safari Chef 2 because it packs away a lot smaller. The only downside is the height: have to use it on an aluminium table to have it at a reasonable level.
You can buy legs but I'd just make my own as the original legs just slot in:

Link Removed

Perhaps 3 x plastic drainage pipes cut to length would do the job?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We had an old camping table that was a bit rickety, It looked like the top slats would slide over the cadac legs, I cut the elastic, took 3 slats & low & behold they fit(y) it was one like this.
Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We had an old camping table that was a bit rickety, It looked like the top slats would slide over the cadac legs, I cut the elastic, took 3 slats & low & behold they fit(y) it was one like this.
Broken Link Removed
I was thinking that too but didn't suggest it as it would cost more than a set of 'proper' legs. :D

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
You can buy legs but I'd just make my own as the original legs just slot in:

Link Removed

Perhaps 3 x plastic drainage pipes cut to length would do the job?
Unfortunately the DIY legs only fit the original Safari Chef - the newer Safari Chef 2 has wider plastic legs :(

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
So what's the latest on price, off to the Motorhome show in Manchester on Friday and cheapest I've found to beat so far is £89 for the safari chef 2. If there cheaper there I'll get one
Thanks.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I was thinking that too but didn't suggest it as it would cost more than a set of 'proper' legs. :D
Just had a look at the add, looks just the same as the slats I used!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back