Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Had caravans for 27 years. Motorhomers now for 3 years
hi there, does anyone know if you can fix a normal caravan porch awning to a Thule awning. We've got a Kampa porch awning we had with the caravan and have seen somewhere where you can adapt it to fit the Thule awning we have on our Motorhome. I seem to think there is something you can thread through the awning track and then feed your existing awning to it. ( this is done without extending the Motorhome awning) can anyone help?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Welcome to the forum.
Kant answer your question but sumone will be along soon
Bill

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I don't know either, but ..........
welcome animated smiley.gif

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi,

The bead of the awning should just slide into the groove in the Motorhome awning, height may be a problem as Motorhomes are quite a bit higher than caravans.

I take you are an ex-tugger, once you have used your van a bit you won't want to know about porch awnings, too much hassle every time you want to drive away, can't use then on Aires or when wilding.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It depends on the size of the channel on your Thule awning and the beading on the porch awning (usually 7mm approx) - if its the same size you can just slot it on, if not then you'll need an awning attachment kit which has several pieces of 'figure of 8' plastic strips and double 'piped edge' tape, with one piece of piping being a larger size than the other, the narrow strip of piping goes into the Thule awning channel (approx 5mm), the plastic 'Fo8' strips next then the piping on the porch awning (7mm approx) slots into that.

Something like this:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi,

The bead of the awning should just slide into the groove in the Motorhome awning, height may be a problem as Motorhomes are quite a bit higher than caravans.

I take you are an ex-tugger, once you have used your van a bit you won't want to know about porch awnings, too much hassle every time you want to drive away, can't use then on Aires or when wilding.
We use ours when at shows/rallies only as we're never in one spot long enough!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Imala730

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
It depends on the size of the channel on your Thule awning and the beading on the porch awning (usually 7mm approx) - if its the same size you can just slot it on, if not then you'll need an awning attachment kit which has several pieces of 'figure of 8' plastic strips and double 'piped edge' tape, with one piece of piping being a larger size than the other, the narrow strip of piping goes into the Thule awning channel (approx 5mm), the plastic 'Fo8' strips next then the piping on the porch awning (7mm approx) slots into that.

Something like this:

OP
OP
Imala730

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Hi there. Thanks for the info, have looked at the site but our awning is a "Kampa" porch bought when we had our ca avian. Would it still fit do you think as the outsell awnings are very expensive?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:WelcomeFlag:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi there. Thanks for the info, have looked at the site but our awning is a "Kampa" porch bought when we had our ca avian. Would it still fit do you think as the outsell awnings are very expensive?
You don't need to buy another awning so long as it's the right size - the only thing you need to check really is the height of the rail (ie the one in the roll out Thule awning) from the ground as this will determine if what you have is tall enough. Just get your tape measure out and check then if it looks to be the approx the same size as your awning (bearing in mind there's always a bit of 'give') just try slotting the piping in and see if it fits without anything else, I've only ever had Fiamma awnings so don't know what size the channel is in a Thule but I think it might be the same size as the piping on a caravan awning anyway - are you able to have a go with it somewhere?

We've used various caravan porch awnings with our MHs and campers over the years and the only thing we ever had to do was get the 'attachment' kit as the Fiamma awning channels aren't wide enough for the normal piping.

We've had drive away awnings too but as I said before we only use an awning when we're definitely 'static' for a few days, so for us it doesn't need to be detachable as we don't move the camper during that period. If you DO want to be able to move the MH though during your stay, then you'd really need to consider getting a drive away type as the awning will stay standing when not attached, which a caravan type awning won't, however if you don't then stick with your caravan awning if it will fit - no point in paying for something else if you don't need to.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hi and a very warm welcome to the slightly mad house of Funsters :)

OP
OP
Imala730

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
We don't want a drive away awning and would only use an awning when we are staying anywhere for a few days or longer but when abroad we like to sit in the awning and have a drink not be sat in the van. Will take the awning when we next go out. We've had caravans for the last 37 years but as now retired plan to move around a lot more hence a Motorhome. Thanks again for the info

OP
OP
Imala730

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Hi there anthem. I have the same photo of the best umbrella's taken in Saumur last September. We were on the site on the island.
Sorry Anthea spelt your name wrong. Finger trouble!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry Anthea spelt your name wrong. Finger trouble!!
No worries been called all sorts!
We stayed on the aire outside Samur which used to be an old municipal site I think ! A good cycle ride along the river into town! Like it as much as Amboise .

OP
OP
Imala730

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Yes. Amboise is good and still cheap. Will be visiting Saumur in June on way down to vaux sur mer near Royan.

OP
OP
Imala730

Imala730

Free Member
May 2, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
No worries. If we come up with a solution will let you know.
Thanks Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back