LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I know a lot of people use this Aire and it is a nice quiet little village, well beware. We were stopping there last night and there were 10 vans in total, nice quiet night nobody heard a thing, get up this morning to find two van had been broken into one Coachbuilt they had cut the 1/4 light rubber and taken the glass out and opened the door entering the vehicle and getting two phones and two tablets, the second van was an A class and I think the got in through the plastic habitation window but I don't know any more details than that.

I certainly saw the rubber and the 1/4 light on the floor and NO gas and Rolex were not mentioned.

Our alarm is on tonight!!

Sleep tight but take care.

Martin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How dreadful. Hope the vehicle owners werent too shaken or did they sleep through it?

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We've used it and it is a great overnight ear. You really do feel safe in French villages, just goes to show. Hope they are not too inconvenienced.

I often wonder are all the affected motor homes without alarms? Do these thieves have a way around them? Hopefully our little furry noisy one would alert us before he alarm kicked in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used that a couple of times last year, no trouble at all then, but it is quite close to the main road which is fairly busy which won't help. We have 3 dogs but always have our alarm on for the perimeter.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Same here on aires and wildcamping, cargo strap across the cab doors, milenco window alarms on and van alarm on with internal sensors disabled. I sometimes sleep in the rear rather than in the OHC so I'm nearer my bike rack and hopefully would hear someone trying to nick my bike!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As far as I can tell, motorhomes get broken into and robbed from every sort of overnighting location... not just "motorway" service stations.

Some time ago Frankie and I were parked on a nice "aire" just over the bridge from the town's Gendarme HQ and two vans were robbed. The victims were ajacent to our two vans. I thought I heard something but didn't investigate.

(Just tried to find my post about it without any luck... yet.)

I firmly believe there is less chance getting robbed in a peaceful, out of the way "Off Site" locations than if you are parked up with lots of other vans. Motorhome robbers will head for places where they know vans will be parked over night. The more vans there gives them the largest choice.

Keep safe Funsters.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Motorhome Roberys are very rare in comparison with the amount on the road.
Try not to lose to much sleep over it due diligence and a big dog bole will help. Learnt that one from @Jim
It dose work with a big dog lead hanging on the review mirror and a half well chewed tinis ball
Bill

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
If pies or beer were stolen JJ it would have been the French detectives, universal staple diet..

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How dreadful. Hope the vehicle owners werent too shaken or did they sleep through it?
I think they all slept through, one was was Dutch they certainly slept through it all, the other was French but didn't speak to them but I believe they slept through as well.

Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think they all slept through, one was was Dutch they certainly slept through it all, the other was French but didn't speak to them but I believe they slept through as well.

must have been a 'gas attack' :eek::eek::eek:

seriously.. what it tells you is that when asleep you hear nothing .. even dogs can sleep through noise.. and in all probability none had a decent alarm or didn't have it 'armed'

we have a Strikeback alarm that would wake the whole village .. backed up by a feisty nasty little JRT that would rip the hand off a stranger trying to get in.. :LOL:.. I sleep easy when he is in the van..

The devil in disguise..
or as it says in my signature..

People sleep peacefully in their motorhomes at night only because rough dogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

DSCF1191-001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We were in Brive la Gaillard last night next to the Circus and had a good nights sleep,

I will have to put the photo on later but there is a big showmans 5th here with full side slide outs with another smaller slide out in the slide out, and a fold out veranda and patio doors at the back, up front a Renault Magnum truck.
image.jpeg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We were in Brive la Gaillard last night next to the Circus and had a good nights sleep,

I will have to put the photo on later but there is a big showmans 5th here with full side slide outs with another smaller slide out in the slide out, and a fold out veranda and patio doors at the back, up front a Renault Magnum truck.
View attachment 104208
We have stayed on Aires with circus on a couple of times, reckoning on no one would try it on with them as well as they wouldn't rob someone in their own backyard, other vans came and went as soon as they saw them, but anyhow we survived(y)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
[QUOTE="scotjimland

The devil in disguise..
or as it say sin my signature..

People sleep peacefully in their motorhomes at night only because rough dogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

View attachment 104207[/QUOTE]

He's a beauty! We had a JR (pip) years ago, a policeman put his hand in the window of our car while talking to Les, Pip went for it. Policeman apologised and said the dog was in the right as the policeman had invaded his space!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I know a lot of people use this Aire and it is a nice quiet little village, well beware. We were stopping there last night and there were 10 vans in total, nice quiet night nobody heard a thing, get up this morning to find two van had been broken into one Coachbuilt they had cut the 1/4 light rubber and taken the glass out and opened the door entering the vehicle and getting two phones and two tablets, the second van was an A class and I think the got in through the plastic habitation window but I don't know any more details than that.
I certainly saw the rubber and the 1/4 light on the floor and NO gas and Rolex were not mentioned.
Our alarm is on tonight!!
Sleep tight but take care.
Martin
How on earth can all that activity go on through the night without waking the occupants or even the whole site. They must have been either gassed or drunk as skunks. Have you attempted to remove windows without making any noise.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A very popular spot is Marboue...
We use it all the time as the kids love to run about on the park opposite...
Robbery can happen anywhere and maybe you can get to relaxed in what seem like quiet, safe places :(
Hope the report to the police and they keep a watch out..
That N10 is a busy road so I guess some robbing Barsteward could make a living just driving up and down there looking for targets..

Thanks on the heads up @ Funflair.. Stay safe..

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Best 'Dodge' I read about when I first joined Fun was to drill a suitable small hole through the lip of the door cover slightly offset and then through the door lock button. A pop rivet is then inserted through the door cover and button when in the 'Locked' position.
No matter who is reaching through the Q/Light, the lock will not disengage. They would need to have octopus length arms to reach the button.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How on earth can all that activity go on through the night without waking the occupants or even the whole site. They must have been either gassed or drunk as skunks. Have you attempted to remove windows without making any noise.
A Stanley knife around the rubber and it drops out virtually no noise, opening the door would make more noise.
I always put the alarm on at night, only place we have ever come across anyone who has been robbed is on a campsite.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A Stanley knife around the rubber and it drops out virtually no noise, opening the door would make more noise.
I always put the alarm on at night, only place we have ever come across anyone who has been robbed is on a campsite.
I was staying on a very large campsite in Spain, in the early hours we were woken by someone screaming on the hill some quarter of a mile away. The town was overrun with north Africans with stuff disappearing from all over.
The screams were coming from a tent full of German blokes who had grabbed the thief as he cut his way into their tent. They restrained him until the police arrived. The second thief attempted to use a knife to free his partner but the Germans were having none of it.

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
One of the advantages of an A class is that when the bed is down at night it would be very difficult to get in at the front of the vehicle, I have a deadlock on the door anyway for additional protection, plus a Strikeback alarm, additional flashing led's along the lower panels on each side and Milenco alarms on every opening window. Hopefully that is sufficient, if not I have a little can of something nasty as the ultimate deterrent.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
As far as I can tell, motorhomes get broken into and robbed from every sort of overnighting location... not just "motorway" service stations.
Never happens in Skeggy.......(y)(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back