Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Coming home today (M40,A404,M4) I passed 30 odd vans going the opposite way.

Whenever I spotted one, I started waving (like a demented monkey) to see how many would wave back.

Only 2 did. Either the rest didn't see me, were to busy concentrating or didn't want to be associated with sone one that looked like they were on day release from Broadmoor.

Sue was a tad embarrassed at my antics, especially when I demanded a high five for each wave returned.

Next trip, I'm going to try to get my 18 year old lad in the passenger seat. Once he gets past the "it's not cool" stage, we'll have a real great time.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We play a game called 'Spot the Motorhome' ................. FOR MONEY!
You get 10 euros for being the first to spot an A class, 5 euros for a C class and a PVC. If you make a call and it's a horsebox or a delivery truck or a white van man you get 5 euros deducted. At the end of the journey you have settle your debts or collect your winnings whichever. I usually lose 'cos hubby, being the driver, is used to looking in the wing mirrors and I usually forget so he sees the ones behind us before I do. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Usually on Motorways or Dual Carriageways all your attention is on your side of the road rather than the other, so waves are few and far between.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I/we never wave on the M/Way

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We came back from Gloucester via the A46.....18 vans only 2 waves. The two that did wave were in older vans, so came to the conclusion the posh ones didn't want to be associated with the likes of us and our old rust bucket! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
We always wave on single carriageways but dual carriageway you are often not noticed so we don't bother. When did this start? Caravanners don't do it. Better not make any comment about them! We note that there very few who don't wave back. Gives a nice sense of a community.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We rarely wave on motorways ...
Opposite carriageway is not where my vision is.
Smaller slower roads are fine though
:)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
The very thought of waving to someone who just happens to own a similar vehicle to yourself simply makes me think even more about "Caravanner of the Year".o_O:(
If it floats your boat you're welcome.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
As I said if you like doing it that's fine. I always wave to someone if they have given way or the like but that's just good manners - and it bugs me when people don't do so.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It used to be the way with sportscar owners in the 1960s, didn't it?

AND the RAC man used to salute ......

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
PS - we wave but not usually on Mways or on a good many dual carriageways. I always try to wave out of the passenger door window when overtaking another Moho - but always realise after that it's potty cos if the driver's looking at me ....... but it feels rude not to is all !

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We always wave on single carriageways but dual carriageway you are often not noticed so we don't bother. When did this start? Caravanners don't do it. Better not make any comment about them! We note that there very few who don't wave back. Gives a nice sense of a community.
Caravanners used to do it but I guess there are so many of them now and many haven't been versed in the "old ways" so tradition has fallen for them.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014

Old ones still do (I mean both the drivers and the cars - or at least the drivers of the older cars) if you know what I mean!

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Doesnt this tell you that its getting old .... i would like to know the ratio of people get the arse cos you dont wave, but will camp next to you for 3 days and not utter a word.

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
I waved at a motorhome today, forgot I was a passenger in the car! Liked the sign on the front of the MH, "Senile Delinquents on Tour" does it belong to anyone on here?

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
We are having HUMANS put on overcab this week.
Playing spot the MH for money waste of time for me, she would never pay up!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

The AA man used to salute, the ONLY time they did not was if Mr Plod the Policeman was round the corner waiting to pounce!.

I have rarely waved at anyone, Not out of Ignorance, But because 99% of the time I am too busy watching the Road, Traffic, Mirrors, Sat Nag, changing gear and the myriad of other things that occupy my attention when driving, so If I dont wave back, Just be sure that when I see you ON SITE I will speak and exchange time of day!

Pete

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You have got to admit this is very odd behavior, waving to perfect strangers and expecting them to wave back.o_O

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We are having HUMANS put on overcab this week.
Playing spot the MH for money waste of time for me, she would never pay up!

That's quality .. i am yet to understand why Horseboxes feel the need to have it on.. its a horsebox Oh Please! . That , and its a 15 year old Ford being driven by a woman that can barely see over the wheel, with 2 kids strapped in a single seat beside her.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
i am yet to understand why Horseboxes feel the need to have it on.. its a horsebox Oh Please! .
I imagine it is to distinguish it from other livestock transport & to give you an indication of the likely driving style.

Horses, like most livestock, travel standing up. Horses have particularly delicate legs & a high individual value - both monetary & sentimental. So anyone transporting horses will go to extreme lengths to avoid heavy braking or any sudden change of direction.

I once took a 7.5t horsebox to Belgium to collect some Norway Spruce saplings from a nursery. These were just ready to plant out - about 12" long & thinner than your little finger. Both horses & plants attract the interest of Customs & DEFRA because of both animal & plant disease risk, so you have to supply paperwork in advance. I came off the boat at Hull & joined the queue for Customs inspection. When it was eventually my turn, the Customs officer said "Morning sir. We have been watching your progression along the line with interest. Your vehicle says 'Horses' across the front, but your paperwork says 32,000 Christmas Trees. Firstly, which is it, and then can you explain how you get 32,000 trees in a wagon that size?" :sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back