Adding an extra leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Hi..noticed that Gooutdoors are doing leisure batts this week 110 ah for £60..so i thought about getting one for all the obvious reasons..Q. anything to watch out for,,does it have to be the same sort as the existing (hymer classic 544).where is the best place to put it?.there aint much room under the seat for it! And finally where's best to get some clamps and conns to add it on. ( parallel..+_+. neg - neg )?th anks in advance of any helpfull answers..rich

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
How old and what size is your current battery?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your Hymer probably has a Gel battery, yes the second one does need to be the same type and if the current one is more than a couple of years old best to fit two new batteries. If your current battery is under the seat you can get a second one under the other seat if the Elektroblock is there it will fit behind it.
You need to buy batteries on quality not price I wouldn't have much faith in a 60 quid one. Gel's have nearly halved in price over the last few years now about £150.
You can buy pre-terminated battery leads on ebay.

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
(y)Thanks guys..I'm beginning to think this is the best £15 I've ever spent..the battery is an elecsol 100 carbon fibre monoblock lead acid,,I have no idea how old but the volts stay quite good,havent used it for 3weeks 12.57v!..by the way..can a hymer man tell me what the lights up either side of the driver/passenger are for(remember I'm new):(

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
(y)Thanks guys..I'm beginning to think this is the best £15 I've ever spent..the battery is an elecsol 100 carbon fibre monoblock lead acid,,I have no idea how old but the volts stay quite good,havent used it for 3weeks 12.57v!..by the way..can a hymer man tell me what the lights up either side of the driver/passenger are for(remember I'm new):(

I would suggest two new Gels and wire as per the drawing in the other thread.. that way you know you have many years ahead of trouble free battery power.. .

putting a new battery in parallel with an old one is not recommended.. it's like putting a young horse in harness with an old one.. the old horse drags the young one down..

if you prefer to spend less get too good quality lead acids.. you get what you pay for.. buy well known branded batteries from reputable companies..

Tanya Batteries give excellent service. it is where I bought two new Gels for my Hymer.. https://www.tayna.co.uk/Exide-G80-Gel-Battery-for-Hymer-Motorhomes-P7893.html these are Hymer OEM

whatever you decide.. make sure they physically fit.. not a lot of height under the Hymer seats.. and check the connection poles are in the correct orientation

any more questions just ask.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That battery is not original looks like you have a good one plenty of info on the web about the bad ones, if thinking of upgrading to two batteries you really need to fit two new ones.
Not sure what you mean about the lights, sound like reading lights can you post a photo.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I agree with Jim regarding Gel batteries, the Elektroblocks in Hymers are designed to work with Gel's, if you change to Gel's do check the switch on the Elektroblock is set to Gel. An alternative to the Exide again from Tanya is the Sonnenschein SL75 although called 75 it is actually 78 A/H, Sonnenschein are part of the Exide group and make the Gel's for Exide and reckoned to be a better battery I bought a couple, time will tell. They are a tenner cheaper than the Exide.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi..noticed that Gooutdoors are doing leisure batts this week 110 ah for £60..so i thought about getting one for all the obvious reasons..Q. anything to watch out for,,does it have to be the same sort as the existing (hymer classic 544).where is the best place to put it?.there aint much room under the seat for it! And finally where's best to get some clamps and conns to add it on. ( parallel..+_+. neg - neg )?th anks in advance of any helpfull answers..rich
I haven't bought batterys from go out doors
But plenty of thar own branded kit and had no problems.
Usually thay use top manufacturers for Ther kit probably the same with thar battery.
And will have their usual garente.
Can't go wrong with at £60 IMHO
Bill

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
And don't forget if you put wet lead acid in, be sure to add the breather tubes...☺

OP
OP
Ricardoe

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Cheers Scotjimland and Lenny HB,Ill get a couple of gels..Lenny forget about the lights mate:unsure::unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back