How to - 12v External socket/power point (1 Viewer)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
As the heading states, any idea of what/where and how i can get to fit some sort of 12v external power point to the outside of the MH (a little like the EHU Point) Why you ask, well we do tend to do a lot of wild camping and even though we have 100ltr fresh water on board i always carry a couple of 20ltr water containers and its a little bit of a ball ache lugging these around to tip into the fresh tank when its nearly run dry... so the plan is to buy a little 12v pump (doesnt have to be submersibble - but i know nowt about them anyway) and attach a pipe into the 20ltr container and the other into our fresh water tank and have some sort of 12v socket point on the outside of the van near to our water flap would be great and really convenient - only sensible answers please :D:D

?

Deleted User
There are probably cheaper options but this is probably one of the best solutions:

A socket like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-W...892111?hash=item4aec96e5cf:g:A-cAAOSweW5VTfxC

And a pump like this:

Of course this pumps directly into the water tank and you would have to rig up a pipe to do that but it would certainly work.

First link looks nice 2nd looks like a sex toy. :LOL:

OP. His first with a fag lighter socket in it but look at ones for motorbikes as they tend to be waterproof and have a cap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had similar issue.. Just bought a 10ltr container. Lot more manageable :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I had similar issue.. Just bought a 10ltr container. Lot more manageable :)
And a funnel.

PS: I deleted my post when I realised the pump is the wrong sort - it is turned on (!) by microswitches in the caravan tap.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For so little use get a 12V extension lead then nothing to leak outside.

Or do the job properly with a combined water/power connector I've seen for caravans.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have a pump with a long enough lead to reach through the kitchen window and plug in there. That's probably the simplest solution.

I have seen vans with a little 2 pin socket next to the water inlet so you can plug the pump in there.

It would be straightforward enough to fit one I suppose as long as you can find a route for the cables inside the van and also get to the wall at that point on the inside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We only have a small water tank (100 Lt) so we carry 2 x 20Lt containers in the garage and I use a small submersible pump to pump the water into the main tank. I fitted a right angled Hella socket on the garage roof next to one of the lights and as it was only a small pump taking about 2 amps I wired the socket into the light's circuit.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@andy63 has one of them fitted on his mh and is fitting one on mine when I remember where I put the damn thing.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 has one of them fitted on his mh and is fitting one on mine when I remember where I put the damn thing.
Haha I'd forgotten about that and had the gear with me to do the job... I'm sure you won't let me forget when you find it lol..
As has been said they don't get used that often but find it handy now and then... The proper waterproof ones arnt cheap either
.. and mine are the din type socket.. think some people refere to them as hella. .
The socket with cover..
20160502_133422.jpg

The type plug that fits it...
20160502_133705.jpg

Ta andy..

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Avoid the 2 pin type the caps keep breaking off and this from a recent thread by @unimog looks to be what u need.
U can find much cheaper Hella type sockets if u can search around and if u can find a dry place to mount even cheaper still.:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
First link looks nice 2nd looks like a sex toy. :LOL:

OP. His first with a fag lighter socket in it but look at ones for motorbikes as they tend to be waterproof and have a cap.
I have exactly that system with permanent 12v to the socket.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back