A wee import question regarding duties and transportation (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have the need for a light goods trailer. I have seen one here in the UK made by an Italian company called Neptun .

The cost of the trailer here in the UK is £1650. I can buy exactly the same trailer in Germany for 1019 quid (At Today's rate.

Am I right in thinking I will not have to pay VAT on it if I buy one from Germany ?

Can I as a VAT registered business claim any VAT or equivalent tax paid in Germany ?

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get one shipped to the UK at sensible rates ? Failing that a trip over may be on the cards.

My problem is I need a trailer within two or three weeks. So an unexpected holiday over to collect may not be possible but I could just take a ferry over and collect.

Thanks.

Link to the trailer

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
As I understand it, you pay Germany Vat or UK vat. You can't not pay Vat to one or the other.

Ian

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe you could ask if there are any funsters over there at the moment that could bring it back for you. Its always worth an ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
As I understand it, you pay Germany Vat or UK vat. You can't not pay Vat to one or the other.

Ian
I think your right. Pay the German VAT, but make sure you get the VAT invoice!! Anyway, who is to know?? You just put a number plate on it. No one will bat an eyelid.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have the need for a light goods trailer. I have seen one here in the UK made by an Italian company called Neptun .

The cost of the trailer here in the UK is £1650. I can buy exactly the same trailer in Germany for 1019 quid (At Today's rate.

Am I right in thinking I will not have to pay VAT on it if I buy one from Germany ?

Can I as a VAT registered business claim any VAT or equivalent tax paid in Germany ?

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get one shipped to the UK at sensible rates ? Failing that a trip over may be on the cards.

My problem is I need a trailer within two or three weeks. So an unexpected holiday over to collect may not be possible but I could just take a ferry over and collect.

Thanks.

Link to the trailer
Is the A frame out of the window now Charlie ;)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you may not have to pay VAT at all, this explains it, or as clearly as anything about VAT ever is. You would have to have a VAT receipt of course from the supplier and give them your VAT registration number. In Germany VAT is called Umsatzsteuer (USt) or Mehrwertsteuer (MwSt).
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-refunds-for-uk-businesses-buying-from-other-eu-countries

This is the bit which applies I think:

Goods you bring in from another EU country to use in your business will be ‘zero-rated’ (meaning no VAT is payable) if:

• your EU VAT number is shown on the supplier’s invoice (for UK VAT-registered businesses, this is your UK VAT number)
  • the supplier has evidence to show that the goods have been sent

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
@Charlie, the answer is yes yes and yes;:)

It's only on new/ nearly new vehicle vat has to be paid in the UK,

I used to import demountable campers Direct from Sweden.....far cheaper then Germany
, I was vat registered would have been very expensive if I had to pay Swedish vat!. But any goods other then vehicles you pay vat in host country....

Eddie

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Legally you can just bring it into the UK we brought a new caravan in Germany some years ago just towed it home, by giving the supplier your vat number they should be able to supply vat free.
For shipping ask the suppliers, German shipping rates are normally quite reasonable, last year had 4 e-bikes shipped from Germany in 4 boxes 25kg each, supplier charged a total of €60, shipped on Wed, arrived Friday morning.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Is the A frame out of the window now Charlie ;)(y)

No mate not a chance. The trailer is a light goods which is 1350kg GVW so would be fine on weight but the bed is not big enough .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Cheaper than Germany :eek:
Yep bought direct from Swedish manafacture not German agents. I know the value of a pound and about putting some effort in to finding a bargain...long drive to Lapland though!lol

Eddie

Edit: only possible as I was vat registered and campers not classed as vehicles. Where vat has to be paid in host country

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@DBK has it correct.

Given that both you & the seller are Vat registered in your respective countries & that the trailer is for your business use (i.e. you would be able to reclaim the Vat if you bought it in the UK), then you supply your UK Vat Registration No. to the supplier, they put both yours & their Vat numbers on the invoice & they will zero-rate it.

It then has to be properly documented on your next Vat Return. I can supply you with the boring details if required.

(Which reminds me - I should be doing mine, not browsing on here.)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@DBK has it correct.

Given that both you & the seller are Vat registered in your respective countries & that the trailer is for your business use (i.e. you would be able to reclaim the Vat if you bought it in the UK), then you supply your UK Vat Registration No. to the supplier, they put both yours & their Vat numbers on the invoice & they will zero-rate it.

It then has to be properly documented on your next Vat Return. I can supply you with the boring details if required.

(Which reminds me - I should be doing mine, not browsing on here.)

Thanks... I don't do the VAT return. That gets done by the accountant. Do not and never have fully understood all the details or implications which is why I asked... (y)(y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Thanks... I don't do the VAT return. That gets done by the accountant. Do not and never have fully understood all the details or implications which is why I asked... (y)(y)
Ok. In that case, just get the invoice right & the accountant will do the rest. Send the seller your Vat number & ask for the trailer to be zero rated. So long as they have sold to other EU countries before, they will be familiar with the procedure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back