Couple of electrical questions please ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Am planning on getting an auto electrician to fit a couple of wee devices to the van next weekend . Havent bought the yet so thats where your advice will come in .

First one is a battery master or a similar device. I know of the Vanbitz one but are there others that work well ?

Second one is a Battery monitor. The NASA BM1 is the one I like the look of but again alternative suggestions very welcome.

A specific question on the BM1 as I know a few of you have that one. Is the display back lit all of the time or does it go off after a while. Dont really want it glowing through the night .

My understanding of electrics is none. My dyslexia makes reading wiring a complete non starter which is why I will not and cannot attempt what I believe is the simple job of wiring these things in. So please if advising of technicalities keep it simple or I wont understand .

Many thanks !!

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
The NASA BM1 has a backlight that you switch on and off as required. In my view the main competitor to the NASA battery monitors would be the one by Victron.

The NASA BM1 comes with the ability to also monitor starter battery - I think that is an extra cost with the Victron?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@Charlie

First one is a battery master or a similar device. I know of the Vanbitz one but are there others that work well ?

Sterling Power also do one, called Battery Maintainer.. http://sterling-power.com/products/battery-to-battery-charger-maintainer

apart form the small difference in price.. the Sterling model has a 3 amp output , Vanbitz is 1.1 amp ‘trickle charge’

Quote from product PDF https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._c966174c-768b-4445-b65c-b54de9b0d078.pdf?747

The battery maintainer is a charging device that enables an extra battery bank to be kept 'topped up' from the main battery bank which has the charging device(s) connected to it (e.g. alternator, battery charger, solar cell / wind turbine etc). The unit transfers approximately 3A (12V) and requires the charging devices to be turned on to work. It is best suited at keeping a starter battery topped up and maintained by the charge that your house bank receives.

I have a Vanbitz .. it was fitted when I bought the van..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I used to have a Short wire with a 10amp fuse which bridged the two "banks", on my R-V. It worked to keep both up from the Solar panel, I did the same with the Winnebago when it was in store in Texas, and if I forgot to remove it the worst thing that happened was the fuse blew!. Cost about 30pence I think!.

Pete

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our van has the BM1 and it is probably the most useful gadget we have as I can see battery voltage and whether we are charging or discharging at a glance. The display is quite large and can be read at a distance. However, I see Murvi are now fitting the Victron one as standard so I guess that is a recommendation for it although I think the display is smaller than the BM1.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the Victron one - fitted by the dealer at my request. Must say it is very good. Shows current in or out, voltage, watts, Ah used since last full charge and number of hours left on battery at current discharge rate. Display backlights when you press the button. Display is small so you can't see it from a distance, but that is no problem for me. It enables me to see exactly what is happening when we are not on EHU.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The NASA BM1 has a backlight that you switch on and off as required. In my view the main competitor to the NASA battery monitors would be the one by Victron.

The NASA BM1 comes with the ability to also monitor starter battery - I think that is an extra cost with the Victron?

Forgive my ignorance but just to clarify the BM1 will switch between batteries so I can look at both ? Would be great if you could tell me in laymans terms how it works ?

Thank you !

Thanks ! Try as I have I cant read the part number or see a price ? Part number would be ace or the part model type number ?

Thanks again !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Forgive my ignorance but just to clarify the BM1 will switch between batteries so I can look at both ? Would be great if you could tell me in laymans terms how it works ?

Instruction manual Scroll down for a diagram of how it's connected. There's also an explanation of how it works.

If you want it to monitor both batteries you need some extra cabling which isn't supplied with the unit.

Reactions: DBK
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
@Charlie

Southdowns Motorhomes

CBE Battery Power Distribution Unit (CSB2)

Total £21.74 incl postage, packing & Vat.

Please note the above prices were from 10 Aug 2014.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie

Southdowns Motorhomes

CBE Battery Power Distribution Unit (CSB2)

Total £21.74 incl postage, packing & Vat.

Please note the above prices were from 10 Aug 2014.

Much appreciated. Thank you !!

Trying to find that unit on EBay or Amazon as I need it for next Saturday.. Doesent come up in the search though

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Be careful of that one, it says it will only charge the vehicle battery if the leisure battery goes above 13.6 volts. On my setup with a Victron solar controller the float voltage when the leisure batteries are charged is 13.6 volts and I haven't seen it go above that figure yet.

So I guess it depends what voltages you are likely to see across the leisure batteries.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's fine it switches on at 13.6 not over
CBE csb2 exactly the same unit as Phil posted

Nov 2, 2012
southampton
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since2005
Hi Charlie
I thought your sargent control unit and panel already monitors your batteries and when on hook up the smart charger changes over as required.
regards Phil

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie
I thought your sargent control unit and panel already monitors your batteries and when on hook up the smart charger changes over as required.
regards Phil

The Sargent unit is ok but gives limited information. When on EHU I have to switch between charging the liesure battery ot the vehicle battery. It would be nice if it simply charged both together at the same time.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

"An act of God is a legal term for events outside human control, such as sudden natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible."

Penned by the man himself methinks.;)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Do I need the NASA BM1 rated at 100 amp or the BM2 rated at 200 ? Was just asking my son to place the order on Amazon and he asked me the question.... Our Leisure battery is 110 .

Thanks !

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The 100 will be fine I think. The most I've ever seen on ours was around 25 amps when I started the engine with fairly well discharged leisure batteries - they were showing 11.9 volts on load before I started the engine.

Incidentally, our 'van has a VanBitz battery master. They are remarkably compact. You can see it in this picture - it is the thing with the green light showing. I must also admit that until today I didn't know I had one!

I was looking through my collection of manuals this afternoon which came with the vehicle, looking for something else, when I came across a single sheet about the battery master. So I dug out the photo I had taken a few months ago of the wiring I had taken when I was fitting a solar controller and there was the little blighter shining away. I guess it is a sign of what a good little thing it is because it has just done its job without fuss for the last three years completely unknown to me. :)

BROKEN LINK

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do I need the NASA BM1 rated at 100 amp or the BM2 rated at 200 ? Was just asking my son to place the order on Amazon and he asked me the question.... Our Leisure battery is 110 .

Thanks !
It depends if you are going to use an inverter and what size it is. Our 2000W inverter (4000W peak) will draw over 160 amps when loaded at 2000W.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It depends if you are going to use an inverter and what size it is. Our 2000W inverter (4000W peak) will draw over 160 amps when loaded at 2000W.

No no inverter. Just the usual electrics on the van. Apparently there are 12V and 24V versions of the Nasa BM.... Then there is the BM1 and the BM2. There was me thinking I had it sorted !

Nov 2, 2012
southampton
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since2005
Hi Charlie,
If I go into the menu on my sargent panel I can select smart charge which automatically switches between batteries as required. If ou have a solar panel it can also switch that between batteries.
regards Phil

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie,
If I go into the menu on my sargent panel I can select smart charge which automatically switches between batteries as required. If ou have a solar panel it can also switch that between batteries.
regards Phil

I don't think that option is available on the Sargent panel in this van...

I've sorted that part now just trying to be 100 percent sure before I order the BM1 or BM2 ...

Thanks !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
NASA Bm1 and battery split charger now fitted. Not by me though as its not my bag messing with things like that no matter how simple they are. Next up is a sattelite system and a solar set up . For these I will go to the recognised forum super stars to get them sorted. Thanks for the help and advise !

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back