LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So last year we had to have a gear box fitted after our disastrous return journey from Zahora
In August we happened to park on a friends drive in Lytham St Annes
As we reversed out he pointed at something.. A drop of oil..

Looked underneath and it was coming from the gearbox ( somewhere ! )

Before going to Benidorm I drained it down to see how much it had lost.. Not a lot.. In fact maybe 100cc
But of course STILL far too much and it needed sorting out.
Refilled box with the correct amount of oil and trundled off

When I got back I took it round to the guy who fitted the box for me.. After washing everything off and doing a trip round the block, it LOOKED like it was coming from the plate capping off the 5th gear pod..

Today I took round to a mate who has a pit..
Soon found the problem..

The total T0$$ER who had fitted it had dropped the bloody thing and put a crack in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna pop round to a local place on Tuesday that has a tig and swear he can weld cast ally no probs..
So that will be another £15 worth of oil and another load of faffing around !

Sorely tempted just to get under there with the dremel, V it out and slap some epoxy on it !

I have not been able to get hold of the bell end who fitted it yet.. But I do not think the conversation is gonna be pleasant !

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have tig welded things like that before but the trouble is the oil coming out permeates tthe alloy along the crack and it is virtually impossible to get it clean enough to actually weld it properly you can try loads of solvents but the oil inside gets hot and keeps coming out, even though it is empty there is always some more to come of the inner surface. Besy of luck but the epoxy idea is the same problem it will not hold to the dirty/oily surface.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I second Gwaygway's comments. Done loads of TIG on ali over the years and anything that's had oil in or on it will be a proper pig to get a good clean weld on. Best of luck mate.

D.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Most probably the same problem with contamination as said above . Box out maybe. .. to try and effect a repair...
Have you ever tried techno weld on that sort of job.. ?If you have access to oxy acetylene it's another option..
Just thoughts...
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I personally have no idea of welding alloy, but owing to the problems outlined above with oil contaminating the weld surface, would it be possible to weld a small alloy plate over the crack? Obviously the alloy plate could be moulded to fit any contours but the weld would then be between clean uncontaminated surfaces.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
The total T0$$ER who had fitted it had dropped the bloody thing and put a crack in it
Hi Jaws I'm not saying he didn't drop the box and crack it, but
The total T0$$ER who had fitted it had dropped the bloody thing and put a crack in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jaws
I understand you are angry and I’m not excusing the guy who fitted the gearbox, but how do you know the damage was done by him, it could have been damaged before he received and fitted the gearbox especially if it was a recon box, and as the leak and crack is small leaking 100mm of oil in how long 3mths 4, 5?, then he might not of noticed the crack when he installed the gearbox. Was the damage so apparent that anyone could have seen the box was damaged? If so then you have a good case to recoup some money from him or get him to fit another gearbox at his expense. Hope you get it sorted.

Best Wishes Tony

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I personally have no idea of welding alloy, but owing to the problems outlined above with oil contaminating the weld surface, would it be possible to weld a small alloy plate over the crack? Obviously the alloy plate could be moulded to fit any contours but the weld would then be between clean uncontaminated surfaces.

I have done this on an oil sump with good success (some prat tried to lift the front of a 7.5 Tonne truck with a fork lift and shoved a fork right through the sump, not me I hasten to add).

D.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Should weld ok try 5356 filler wire, they may have to sweat out the oil contamination by welding more than once ie die grind weld & repeat, make sure if use a grinding wheel to V out, die grind after with a burr, (grinding wheels leave contaminants) Hopefully you can work a tig torch in the space if not its box out, good luck.(y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Should weld ok try 5356 filler wire, they may have to sweat out the oil contamination by welding more than once ie die grind weld & repeat, make sure if use a grinding wheel to V out, die grind after with a burr, (grinding wheels leave contaminants) Hopefully you can work a tig torch in the space if not its box out, good luck.(y)

Yup.. that is exactly the plan..When I had my own tig plant I did several Blackbird sumps.. They crack on one corner if the bike is dropped as one of the fairing mounts is attached to the thing.. Stupid idea !!

And if that does not work then plan B will indeed be a plate :)

Hi Jaws I'm not saying he didn't drop the box and crack it, but

Hi Jaws
I understand you are angry and I’m not excusing the guy who fitted the gearbox, but how do you know the damage was done by him, it could have been damaged before he received and fitted the gearbox especially if it was a recon box, and as the leak and crack is small leaking 100mm of oil in how long 3mths 4, 5?, then he might not of noticed the crack when he installed the gearbox. Was the damage so apparent that anyone could have seen the box was damaged? If so then you have a good case to recoup some money from him or get him to fit another gearbox at his expense. Hope you get it sorted.

Best Wishes Tony

What you say is quite possible Tony.. In fact more than likely what happened..
However............

If I fitted an engine that had a crack in it I would be rather embarrassed that I did not spot the issue on prefitting inspection.. It is not exactly hard to spot.. to the point is has STILL got a few wee bits of gravel in and around the damage !!
Eithe the guy did it himself and did not bother to check for damage, or he simply did not bother look at the the box when it arrived and before fitting it

If it was a cheap component ( such as an oil filter housing or sump for instance ) then I would accept it as being one of those things,, But a grands worth of gearbox that takes 2 hours to fit, unchecked before installation ?
Either way the bloke is an incompetent !

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
But a grands worth of gearbox that takes 2 hours to fit, unchecked before installation ?
Either way the bloke is an incompetent !
Hi Jaws
I agree any expensive items weather gearbox, engine etc should be thoroughly checked before installation and if it was easily noticeable then the mechanic has no excuse whatsoever.
I do feel for you as it’s bad enough having the problem in the first place without having to try to get some one to own up and take responsibility for this cock up and put it right or get some compensation from them.

I Wish you the Best Tony

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know full well he is not gonna admit it Tony.. That is why the conversation is gonna be fairly one sided I think LOL !!
But thanks for the thought mate.. always appreciated

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What about moving the inards to a new housing.
Not worth the effort mate.. If I remove the box then the repair will be REALLY easy any way.. But gonna try and do it in situ as it is easy to get at at least !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back