mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
posting this as much for my own record as to share..

due to recent life events (new pup on way and pending wedding) our umming and aaahing about whether to fly off to Gran Canaria or drive to Lake Garda for our grown up holiday this year (end of May) has ended and we are staying in the UK. We think we will head off across the bridge to Welshshire and drive slowly round the coast until it is time to come home..

We need to compile a list of things to do and see (although we don't tend to stick to an itinerary) and begin to decide where and when we want to book sites (no shower on board so 2 nights wild is our limit)

Your ideas and thoughts are appreciated as always..

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Snowdonia and Anglsey well worth a visit.(y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Look forward to reading - we are thinking of a trip over the bridge in the summer, we don't really know the country at all and there have been fantastic pics posted on here last year....no idea how to find the thread though.

Just one thing on the list so far.....the Penderyn distillery:)....oh and Cardiff and Shell Island:LOL: and ....

If you are in the c&cc there are some interesting THS's in Wales coming up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Caerfai Bay,St.Davids has a stunning campsite on top of the cliffs with a small beach below. Boat trips out to see the bird/seal sanctuary and dolphin/whale watching highly recommended.
Follow the coastline - Aberystwyth, Aberdyfi, Barmouth, Criccieth, Harlech, Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Abersoch, Beddgelert (Snowdonia National Park), onto Anglesey - Newborough beach, Rhosneigr, South Stack Holyhead, Amlwch, Moelfre, Penmon, Red Wharf Bay, , back along the A5 to Betws y Coed, up the valley to Llandudno. Loads to see and do, stunning scenery, good campsites. Don't bother with Colwyn Bay, Rhyl, Prestatyn along the coast to Chester.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We had a fantastic time on this site Link Removed
Despite getting knocked off the motorbike by a car, and my dads van having to be recovered on a recovery truck.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you're staying coastal:

south & north extremes -
  • St David's cathedral & around there (camp at Caerfai Bay)
  • South Stack RSPB (you can take your chances at wildcamping in the carparks, then top up one night at the basic little CL at the bottom of the hill - EHU & water, don't advise to use their loo Broken Link Removed )
  • Walk across the railway bridge at Barmouth
  • Any of the narrow-gauge railways, a great day is the Ffestiniog from Porthmadog and a trip down the Llechwedd slate caverns
  • Dolaucothi gold mines - lovely NT campsite
  • CAT (Centre for Alternative Technology) at Machynlleth if that sort of thing interests you - great care on the turn-in if coming from the north

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We had a fantastic time on this site Link Removed
Despite getting knocked off the motorbike by a car, and my dads van having to be recovered on a recovery truck.
Do these things always happen when you are away? Didn't you have probs in europe last year?;):LOL:
Just looked on the cc site - looks lovely & the first time that a site isn't showing as full EVERY weekend:D ta

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Do these things always happen when you are away? Didn't you have probs in europe last year?;):LOL:
Just looked on the cc site - looks lovely & the first time that a site isn't showing as full EVERY weekend:D ta
Every time last summer we had the tyre thing (3 punctures and having to get some shipped out)and getting pulled by the police in France, the year before pulled by police in Germany and the motorbike and van recovery. Never a dull moment when you travel with the Preece family.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Every time last summer we had the tyre thing (3 punctures and having to get some shipped out)and getting pulled by the police in France, the year before pulled by police in Germany and the motorbike and van recovery. Never a dull moment when you travel with the Preece family.
Les would've had a breakdown:LOL:

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Ms Tiggs has declared that we need to be camping within walking distance of a beach - because we will have to carry Thornton that pretty much means on the beach.. so I am struggling in most places to find anywhere.. seems the sites are all either pon the top of a cliff or miles from the beaches.. any ideas wonderful people?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Caravan club site at st David's is walking distance to the beach.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
600 castles in Wales alone! So plenty to look at!
Love Pembrokeshire had honeymoon in Saundersfoot! And still together after 35 years! ( weddings don't have to be expensive!!)

They don't have to be but they usually are...

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Caravan club site at st David's is walking distance to the beach.
We are in C&CC and trying to avoid CC for now..sods law isn't it..

Mind you, we can't use club sites unless we register our van and send pictures for 'approval' as it isn't branded.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are in C&CC and trying to avoid CC for now..sods law isn't it..

Mind you, we can't use club sites unless we register our van and send pictures for 'approval' as it isn't branded.
St Davids is open to non members. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Also recomend a wilding on the coast road south out of Caernarfon

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Also nice little campsite right beside lake Bala. Or overnight in Bala car park ,was no restrictions there last year,when we visited. Roy.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Funnily enough we were planning to do exactly that from S Devon early last week until we saw the weather forecast for this week, then thought bugger it and came home.

However, Wales is our favourite UK destination, so given fair weather my recommendation would be:

Pembrokeshire Coast - Newgale campsite (next to the beach) is a good central location to base yourself and bus services from there along the coast are quite good. There's a good bracing walk you can back do to Newgale from Solva creek. Skomer island is a good day trip - there's a campsite at Marloes. The whole coast is lovely, but spots to keep an eye out for are Marloes Sands, Abereiddy (blue lagoon) to Porthgain, Whitesands Bay near St David's and the Iron Age village reconstruction at Castell Henllys. I walked the coast path from Fishguard to Dale some years ago so I've seen every bay and inlet in between.

I'm less familiar with Mid Wales but have been on the Tal-y-llyn steam railway which makes for a novel day out. I think you can still overnight in the car park at Machynlleth, although the Alternative Technology Centre there is looking a bit tired now. If you're into plane spotting you can park at the top of the Bwllch llyn bach (Machynlleth to Dolgellau road), shin up the hillside and watch military aircraft doing low flying training down the valley on clear days. Just type 'Mach Loop' into Google for details.

Barmouth (aka Brum-sur-mer) is a firm favourite - a seaside resort but on a human scale, and with lovely views of the Cadair Idris range. A bike ride down the Mawddach Trail towards Dolgellau is a must. Having done the Exe Estuary and the Camel trails I still think the Mawddach beats the lot. Camping in Barmouth can be found at Hendre Mynach, where you can park in the grassy bit for less if you don't need EHU. There's some interesting walking to be had in the hills behind Barmouth too.

Up the coast is Shell Island (which appears to be second only to the holy shrine of Parc Verger in Funster mythology) - I've not been there for years but I understand the appeal. Then you're into Harlech with its world heritage site castle.

Our favourite base for N Wales is Porthmadog, which isn't especially remarkable in itself but is a great jumping off point. You've got the steam railway up to the slate mines at Ffestiniog and beyond, the regular railway between Pwllhelli and Aberdyfi, Porthmeirion round the corner, the Lleyn peninsula (Criccieth, Abersoch, Hell's Mouth, Aberdaron etc) in the other direction, and Snowdonia within easy reach. Opposite the steam railway station is the legendary Cob Records where every CD or LP known to man can be found. Well it seems that way anyway. There's a selection of campsites behind Black Rock Sands and free MH friendly parking on the roadside opposite Lidl in Porthmadog. The small beaches between Black Rock Sands and Borth-y-gest are lovely, but don't tell anyone else. If you roam around the northern Lleyn, give Whistling Sands (Porth Oer) and Morfa Nefyn a look - nice spots.

Further north you've got Anglesey, Caernarfon, Conwy, and Llandudno, all with their own different appeal.

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Funnily enough we were planning to do exactly that from S Devon early last week until we saw the weather forecast for this week, then thought bugger it and came home.

However, Wales is our favourite UK destination, so given fair weather my recommendation would be:

Pembrokeshire Coast - Newgale campsite (next to the beach) is a good central location to base yourself and bus services from there along the coast are quite good. There's a good bracing walk you can back do to Newgale from Solva creek. Skomer island is a good day trip - there's a campsite at Marloes. The whole coast is lovely, but spots to keep an eye out for are Marloes Sands, Abereiddy (blue lagoon) to Porthgain, Whitesands Bay near St David's and the Iron Age village reconstruction at Castell Henllys. I walked the coast path from Fishguard to Dale some years ago so I've seen every bay and inlet in between.

I'm less familiar with Mid Wales but have been on the Tal-y-llyn steam railway which makes for a novel day out. I think you can still overnight in the car park at Machynlleth, although the Alternative Technology Centre there is looking a bit tired now. If you're into plane spotting you can park at the top of the Bwllch llyn bach (Machynlleth to Dolgellau road), shin up the hillside and watch military aircraft doing low flying training down the valley on clear days. Just type 'Mach Loop' into Google for details.

Barmouth (aka Brum-sur-mer) is a firm favourite - a seaside resort but on a human scale, and with lovely views of the Cadair Idris range. A bike ride down the Mawddach Trail towards Dolgellau is a must. Having done the Exe Estuary and the Camel trails I still think the Mawddach beats the lot. Camping in Barmouth can be found at Hendre Mynach, where you can park in the grassy bit for less if you don't need EHU. There's some interesting walking to be had in the hills behind Barmouth too.

Up the coast is Shell Island (which appears to be second only to the holy shrine of Parc Verger in Funster mythology) - I've not been there for years but I understand the appeal. Then you're into Harlech with its world heritage site castle.

Our favourite base for N Wales is Porthmadog, which isn't especially remarkable in itself but is a great jumping off point. You've got the steam railway up to the slate mines at Ffestiniog and beyond, the regular railway between Pwllhelli and Aberdyfi, Porthmeirion round the corner, the Lleyn peninsula (Criccieth, Abersoch, Hell's Mouth, Aberdaron etc) in the other direction, and Snowdonia within easy reach. Opposite the steam railway station is the legendary Cob Records where every CD or LP known to man can be found. Well it seems that way anyway. There's a selection of campsites behind Black Rock Sands and free MH friendly parking on the roadside opposite Lidl in Porthmadog. The small beaches between Black Rock Sands and Borth-y-gest are lovely, but don't tell anyone else. If you roam around the northern Lleyn, give Whistling Sands (Porth Oer) and Morfa Nefyn a look - nice spots.

Further north you've got Anglesey, Caernarfon, Conwy, and Llandudno, all with their own different appeal.

Enjoy :)
Thank you. Some posts deserve more than one rating ;)

Reactions: CWH
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Pembrokeshire Coast - Newgale campsite (next to the beach) is a good central location to base yourself and bus services from there along the coast are quite good.
looks really lovely and was excited about it until I saw the NO DOGS bit :(

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
looks really lovely and was excited about it until I saw the NO DOGS bit :(

There's a second Newgale campsite up the hill from the beach - not sure what their pooch policy is. Broadhaven, Little Haven or Solva would put you in a similar area. There's also Caerfi Bay up near St David's but that's less central.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
If you plan to go to the Llyn Peninsular, I can thoroughly recommend this site.

Hubby used to go camping there as a child and it hasn't changed much except that they've recently built a shower and toilet block. We spent 10 days there in 2014 and it was idyllic. Totally dog friendly and the beach is a short stroll down a path from the site.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Don't forget this one
Link Removed
If you don't know it's jims , and can well recomend it
we don't have a shower on board so as lovely as @Jim s place looks it's no good for this trip as far as I can see :(

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you plan to go to the Llyn Peninsular, I can thoroughly recommend this site.

Hubby used to go camping there as a child and it hasn't changed much except that they've recently built a shower and toilet block. We spent 10 days there in 2014 and it was idyllic. Totally dog friendly and the beach is a short stroll down a path from the site.

That beach was one of my favourite sheltered surf spots when Hell's Mouth was all blown out (fond memories of wading ankle deep through cow poo in the freezing February rain then trying to thaw out in front of my VW's cooker). Thanks for that link - I'm thinking of heading that way again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back