Credit cards in Germany (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I was led to believe that credit cards are not very easy to use in Germany and should take a pile of euro,s is this correct ??

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
In restaurants and campsites it's usually fine, you may find some supermarkets, bottle stores and the like only accept local credit cards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
We found CC ok for fuel but shops like cash. Supermarkets if they take cards it is mainly Mastercard and not Visa.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hit and miss.

I think it depends on the card processing system the shop or whatever uses. Banks are the same.

There is one system that only accepts local cards i.e. not Visa or MasterCard and others that accept anything. Apparently the "local only" system is very common. I guess it must be cheaper.

I've got personal experience of this: we were in Garmisch and ate at a restaurant near the Stellplatz. I went to pay with a card and the guys face fell. We tried every card in my wallet and the machine wouldn't recognise any of them. One of the guys in the restaurant then gave me a lift round to find a cashpoint. We tried about 5 different banks with the same result before the last one finally worked. Luckily the restaurant were used to it happening and had a sense of humour about it

For the rest of the trip I made sure I always had enough cash on me and I'll be doing the same next time we're there.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Thanks for this heads up reminder on cards. I think I had heard or seen it before so have got a few euros in just in case.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Germans are far less indebted then the UK economy where we are drowning in CC debt:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In recent years only been a problem in supermarkets but now Lidl and Aldi take cards Europe wide the others may have followed so may be better. Rewe have always taken cards.
Also Germans prefer Mastercard.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Germans are far less indebted then the UK economy where we are drowning in CC debt:(

I think that for most of us it isn't a matter of debt, we pay our cards each month by D/D, but of convenience.
Paying with the right card gives a better exchange rate plus often some 'cash back' and better security because you're not carrying around loads of cash.
It also gives a record of expenditure so you can see where all the money went when you return home stony broke. :(:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back