Currency (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
HI
Having just come back from Scotland - done the route 500 and about 1500 miles, we have about 3 weeks to plan out trip to Austria, Switzerland, maybe Italy. Already have French currency, but what other currency do I need and where best to get it, do I use cash or card over there, and how much to take, not planning to stay long in those countries. Do sites take cash or cards? Advice appreciated. No sites booked yet either, no route sorted, will we ever get there????? At least eurotunnel booked.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You could get some Swiss Francs, but cards can be used generally. For the other countries you listed, well, they will all accept your French currency.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You should always have cash with you and euros will be fine almost everywhere unless you get as far as Croatia and I suspect many places will take euros anyway but perhaps not at the best exchange rate. I'll tell you if we get that far this year. :)

Cards are a whole different different ball game and much discussed on here. The main choices are:

Using a debit card - drawing directly from your account in the UK.

A credit card - the Halifax Clarity card is much recommended on here.

Finally, some sort of pre-payment card where you generally transfer funds into it before you leave. The Post Office money card is one but their exchange rates are not the best. Caxton do a card and the Revolt card has been much discussed on here. I have Brittany Ferries card.

My advice would be to have all three of the above available and don't keep them all in the same place in case you get robbed.

There can be issues driving a MH into Austria, search around on the forum for advice on this as you might get hit with a big fine if you get it wrong. If you are a bit unsure about it all stay in France and Italy. You can't really go wrong there. :)

And make sure you have an EHIC card of course plus medical and breakdown insurance for peace of mind.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You could get some Swiss Francs, but cards can be used generally. For the other countries you listed, well, they will all accept your French currency.

Have I entered a time warp? What is French currency? Is that a new name for euros spent only in France?

?

Deleted User
Have I entered a time warp? What is French currency? Is that a new name for euros spent only in France?
Im confused with route 500. I thought that was in the Black Forrest never mind the French Franc's

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
You'll need some Schillings as well for Austria......

€ and some CHF if you're staying in Suisse although cards will be taken almost every where. I'd just get currency at the bank or post office before you go, ATM's on route in those countries will certainly give a poorer rate.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Will get some CHF just in case in UK before we go.

Driving over the Grossglockner Pass, will need to buy ticket

Do I need euro and schillings for Austria?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We do take cash, but tend to use a credit card for payment for tolls, fuel, restaurants and supermarkets. Mainly use Wife's Nationwide Visa card because the conversion rates are very good (less that 1% below XE rates) and there no commission charged.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You'll need some Schillings as well for Austria......

€ and some CHF if you're staying in Suisse although cards will be taken almost every where. I'd just get currency at the bank or post office before you go, ATM's on route in those countries will certainly give a poorer rate.
I remember when there were 80 Schillings = £:LOL:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Im confused with route 500. I thought that was in the Black Forrest never mind the French Franc's

I'm sure that you know this already but:

Route 500 = NC500 (North Coast 500)

Black Forest 500 = B500 (cracking road it is too!)

Ian

?

Deleted User
I'm sure that you know this already but:

Route 500 = NC500 (North Coast 500)

Black Forest 500 = B500 (cracking road it is too!)

Ian

Never did the Black Forrest 500. Sold the bike so i dare say less fun in the van but all going well i may get down that way at the end of September.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Never did the Black Forrest 500. Sold the bike so i dare say less fun in the van but all going well i may get down that way at the end of September.

I've ridden the B500 a couple of times - the first time was in a right pea-Souper so had to return for another go!
The N85 (Route Napolean) is also a corker!

Apologies to the OP for the slight topic diversion!

Ian

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Will get some CHF just in case in UK before we go.

Driving over the Grossglockner Pass, will need to buy ticket

Do I need euro and schillings for Austria?
Yes you will need Swiss change if staying on Aires as normally cash machine controlled

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I would apply for a Post Office credit card.
They make no transaction charges for using them in any European country ( except cash withdrawals )

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi,
Hope all who gave excellent information get this chat, not sure how it all works online.
Thanks to judgemental, Jumar, Techno for all their useful info.
Sorry I do not know correct jargon for routes etc, I am only a woman, what do I know about routes etc, I have no sense of direction anyway. Goof job I don't drive, hubby excellent driver.
Would like to know more about the N85 and the B500 in Germany if anyone can pads on routes etc.
Thanks to all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back