Large Family, limited finance - wanting MH! (1 Viewer)

clairebentley40

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Not yet!
Hi,

Enjoying reading all the info on Motorhomefun and making endless lists of what I need to think about before buying a MH. :thumb:

We are a large family, with four children and two adults and have (unfortunately) a limited budget. :cry:

We work in the hotel industry and plan to use the MH to travel between our various jobs (probably next job will be in Morocco or Tunisia).

1. Is there a price guide for MH's and what is it called? It feels strange 'buying blind' and having no idea of what is the right price.

2. Is it possible (in your opinion) to find a MH for up to £10,000 which is 6 berth and has a fixed bed at the rear?

3. Any suggestions for MH sales in and around the Sheffield?

Would appreciate any help and advice.

Claire

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
I deal with, and can recommend, South Yorkshire Motorhomes at Dinnington.
Their prices are not the cheapest, but they give a good honest service, and their guarantee is worth something.
They have a good range of moptorhomes, although it is a bit depleted at the moment due to the way sales have boomed this year.
Try them

Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Unlike buying a car there is no real price guide as to what you might pay for a particular mh.

You are on a very limited budget for the berth size you are looking for. You may have to forget about the fixed rear bed and make some compromises. A good starting point to buy is the online Auto Trader ads. You can set parameters such as make/type, maximum price, and distance to travel. Go and have a look at a few.

One major factor to consider when buying any motorhome is availability of parts. If you have a friend who has some experience of owning/buying a motorhome, so much the better.

Final point.....don't let your heart rule your head.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

something like this may fit the bill, but may go over your budget.. maybe worth inspecting.

Link Removed

Upvote 0

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
You might try looking over here in Spain there are some very good deals around here now.:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi welcome to the fun. how about ebay,,250489159532..may not be what your looking for but could be a good cheap outfit .little bit of work. well proven engine known all over europe spares every where. cheers alan.

Upvote 0

Home&Away

Funster
Aug 21, 2009
West Anglia
Funster No
MH
Haven't got one
Exp
starting from scratch NOW!
Hi Claire

We're doing the same as you - making endless lists and going out to visit dealers all over the place to see what's available. Completely confusing isn't it?

However, all the advice and looking through all the magazines, ads and discussion groups does seem to help and we've managed to come up with a hitlist of makes and models to try and hunt down.

Ultimately, we found that nothing beats just clambering all over dozens of models till you find they layout you feel comfortable with. It didn't stop me waking up this morning and the first words were about 'what would we do if...'

So we probably know the van we want and the layout we want but sadly haven't yet found one that combines both! We'll keep trying...... Must try to remember that, amongst all the stuff that you don't want and looks too old and tired there will, one day, be just the gem you want!

Don't give up - you'll find it, I'm sure.

Mike

Upvote 0

winchman

Free Member
Jul 9, 2009
Funster No
Theres loads on ebay such as Link Removed
Now I feel thats a lot of motor hme well with in buget and still a bit of cash in the bank which is a good idea.
I was going to suggest a Bedford as these are the cheapest around at the moment 2-4k will get you a good one, but I just never thought about the american stuff

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi

something like this may fit the bill, but may go over your budget.. maybe worth inspecting.

Link Removed

reading through the discription to thhe end you get the Q & A's and it has no rear seat belts and this is not as the seller says "looks easy to do" lack of photos also a bit odd....

I think you need top spend a little more...Money is cheap at the moment if you can get a loan that is!:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Good luck with the Hunt for the MH,like you we are looking ,one thing would bear in mind as mentioned,most main stream MH will have parts availability,in the end it will still cost ££ on repairs but sourcing used parts will be easier ,also as you have metioned some will let you know if you intend being away for a long time abroad inurance could also be a deciding factor on which MH:thumb: as well as running cost mpg etc

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
reading through the discription to thhe end you get the Q & A's and it has no rear seat belts and this is not as the seller says "looks easy to do" lack of photos also a bit odd....

I think you need top spend a little more...Money is cheap at the moment if you can get a loan that is!:RollEyes:

The OP didn't specify seat belts in the back .. there are 12 pictures and the dealer invites viewings before bidding .. don't see why that's odd

WE RECOMMENDED INSPECTION BEFORE THE SALE ENDS AND WE CAN EMAIL ANY FURTHER DETAILED PHOTOS ON RECEIPT OF AN EMAIL ADDRESS - ALTERNATIVELY MESSAGE US OR GIVE US A CALL ON 07866818973 AND WE WILL TRY TO ANSWER ANY QUERIES

Agree that if you want seat belts they are not easy to do ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi

Link Removed
Looks nice 'n shiny Jim..........BUT it's '93 Fiat engine and box etc and we've not long had a poster on here with the identical engine who was having difficulties obtaining a camcover casting.

Another Fiat owner who couldn't even get a replacement fuel filler cap for a five year old motorhome! Thats unacceptable.

Personally i put spares/parts availability at the top of the list. The 'shiny bits' or impressive looks can come way down because no matter how attractive a motorhome may be, it ain't much use when it's sitting in some Garage waiting for a simple nut or bolt to be sourced.

Upvote 0

unitedgirl

Free Member
Oct 27, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
You could consider buying in Europe, we bought ours in Germany from a very reputable dealer and got a good price. Also if you are doing a lot of travelling in North Africa and Europe, then a Left hand drive could be a better option.

Space/berth wise, you should be able to get a 6 berth, maybe with overcab bed, dinette/bed and maybe bunks at the rear? Also consider an awning to create extra space especially with the kids, some have a separate sleeping section and you could use inflatable beds for the kids.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looks nice 'n shiny Jim..........BUT it's '93 Fiat engine and box etc and we've not long had a poster on here with the identical engine who was having difficulties obtaining a camcover casting.

Another Fiat owner who couldn't even get a replacement fuel filler cap for a five year old motorhome! Thats unacceptable.

Personally i put spares/parts availability at the top of the list. The 'shiny bits' or impressive looks can come way down because no matter how attractive a motorhome may be, it ain't much use when it's sitting in some Garage waiting for a simple nut or bolt to be sourced.

Couldn't agree more, I'm always harping on about choice of base being more important than the chintz .. but it often falls on deaf ears, it's floor plan first with the latest graphics and don't care what it's sitting on.

However in the example you cited I think the chap has been unlucky, sounds like it has been poorly maintained .. the older Fiat engines are usually very good, many an elderly Fiat engined Hymer is still going strong..

jim

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Buying a MH from a dealer for £10k leaves little for after sales service, insurance based warranties in the main are not worth the paper they are written on unless backed by the dealer.

We steer clear of larger MH's in that price bracket as the potential for grief is not worth the hassle.

Best to buy privately in my view.

Peter

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The OP didn't specify seat belts in the back .. there are 12 pictures and the dealer invites viewings before bidding .. don't see why that's odd

Agree that if you want seat belts they are not easy to do ..

Not sure that you can legally DIY seat belts anymore either....

I just picked up on "we are a large family" so kinda assumed they would need more then the 2

My eyes are not that great so missed the reference to the pictures. still think the van looks very old fashioned and could be fraught with problems....I believe you need to stretch the budget as much as you can when buying a motorhome.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now I feel thats a lot of motor hme well with in buget and still a bit of cash in the bank which is a good idea.
I was going to suggest a Bedford as these are the cheapest around at the moment 2-4k will get you a good one, but I just never thought about the american stuff

i was thinking exactly the same.:thumb:

at 34ft and a 7.5ltr engine i think it may be over 7.5t though:Sad:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i dont believe the fuel consumption is as good as they say. lots of american owners on here do you think its correct?it does look good but have you ever driven something this big?hope you have done your homework if you think you can work in maroc or tunisia. remember you may find difficulties getting from one to the other algeria is very often closed for entry. keep looking you should find what you want but make a list of what you dont want. it will have to have good weight allowance with all of you.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it's a MH, but it is a petrol engine and if I have worked it out correctly it is going to do 1 litre petrol for 6.4 km, it's going to cost a fortune isn't it?

you'de be in for a shock Claire......i think the sellers being a little optomistic with the fuel consumption figures...

7.5 ltr engine and 34ft rv......probably nearer 12 to 14mpg or 3.5miles per liter.:whatthe:

as many have said....if you're concerned about fuel costs, dont buy an RV.:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa. even you seem generous to me . 8to 10 . if they could do 18to 20 why isnt every american got one fitted . even a diesel struggles to get 18/20 . that size? looks nicethough but a bit long i think n too much overhang/swing.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you'de be in for a shock Claire......i think the sellers being a little optomistic with the fuel consumption figures...

7.5 ltr engine and 34ft rv......probably nearer 12 to 14mpg or 3.5miles per liter.:whatthe:

as many have said....if you're concerned about fuel costs, dont buy an RV.:RollEyes:

Won't even get 12 -14 .. , be lucky to get 10 mpg , that's 2.2 miles or 3.5 km per litre ..

only diesel RVs do 14 mpg or better.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back