Barbecue or not? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Wondering how often people use their barbecue ? We'll be travelling 9/12 months a year hopefully. Mainly in warm locations.
Wondering whether to spend £250 on getting one fitted to The van's LPG plus cost of the barby itself.
Any thoughts?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
frankly, I think it's too much to spend on it.. and IMO a charcoal barbie is better.. and a lot cheaper..

but if you must have gas.. why not use a Camping GAZ R907 bottle .. last for ages.. and refills available everywhere in Europe.. and N Africa

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a little cadac ... it's fine but I'm considering (still) getting a Son of Hibachi ..
Not really that bothered about using the vans gas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
It's £150 to get the outlet fitted from the van's LPG cylinders then £80 odd for the barbecue

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Both our motorhomes came with external BBQ points. I use them a lot, especially when the weather is nice. We used to use a Weber Q gas BBQ - very good but a bit heavy to lift out of garage. Now use a much lighter smaller one I bought in the USA last time we visited our daughter. That is pretty good too, but not quite up the Weber. I may go back to using the Weber. Done all sorts on it successfully including a Pizza, a whole roast chicken and roast pork.

Nothing more sociable than a BBQ with friends, even if you have only known them an hour or two! I always find it best to BBQ with a drink in one hand - always better for me anyway.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Wondering whether to just get a basic one and endless bags of charcoal now.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes I just remembered I wanted to buy a fire bowl. Maybe do that instead

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's £150 to get the outlet fitted from the van's LPG cylinders then £80 odd for the barbecue
The fitting is £39.29 from Gas It and my son and I installed it for pennies.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a hob.
If the weathers nice and warm nothing better than a lovely barbecue. Much better than sitting inside in hot weather.
Don't have any problems with the smell of barbecues. Of course no one wants excessive smoke.
I find people moaning more anti social than most barbecues.
:cheers:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use a table outside with either a two ring hob and grill or a little BBQ when the weather is nice enough. Much nicer than cooking inside on a nice day.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We have a hob.
If the weathers nice and warm nothing better than a lovely barbecue. Much better than sitting inside in hot weather.
Don't have any problems with the smell of barbecues. Of course no one wants excessive smoke.
I find people moaning more anti social than most barbecues.
:cheers:

Well said ,I've got a horn in my van but just because it's there I don't use it a lot !
I'd rather be out in the warm weather seeing the sights getting the horn,oops did I really say that.

Don't tell mrs Vlad she will batter me. :imoutahere:

Vlad

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We either use an electric grill plate set on a table outside or If entertaining I get the larger portable gas BBQ out, As we tend to use it only in warmer weather and don't have a fixed external gas supply point, we carry a 6 kg for the van and and a smaller 3kg bottle for BBQ or patio heater. Would never be without a BBQ, for me it's the only time I do any "cooking".
Don't know what all the fuss is about over cooking......Just slap a bit of meat or fish on, turn it over a few times....job done...Even the salad and spuds seem to be done automatically!! :giggler:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think I'd spend £150 on a gas point! You can buy an awful lot of canisters / cylinders of gas for that!

How often do you anticipate you'll actually use it and for how many people?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you have "excessive smoke" then you ain't doing it right. Keeping it low and slow with the lid down is the key to good BBQ cooking. Food is seared on the outside but not burnt while still being moist and cooked on the inside.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Van game with gas bbq point, so we purchased a Cadac Grillogas (I think) and haven't regretted it. It's conveniently easy to assemble, use and clean.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have small cadac BBQ and cooked for 4 at a pinch. Some sites don't allow coals as a fire risk so gas may be better! Ask @Hyacinth 1 about built in gas point!!

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Taken the plunge and ordered a Son of Hibachi. . Will try it out at Canterbury C&CC this weekend.

Please let us know what you think.
I am wanting to order one in july when we are back, and sell the cadac which we bought when we first got the van. We only use the griddle/hot plate on the cadac and I can do that on my gas bottle ring with a griddle pan.
Want the charcoal taste now and it will take up less room!
Darren.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We now use a Florabest BBQ from Lidl , uses a tiny amount of charcoal, about a mug full and heat is adjustable.
We find far better than our Cadac which is a pain to keep clean.

We grabbed the Florabest charcoal BBQ from Lidl when it was on offer last year and we also have a Cadac Safari Chef. I like both, which is why I took both to Spain for the Winter. Loads has been said about the Safari Chef on other threads, having tried lots of gas bbq's I really do rate it for ease of use. The Florabest is great also and very quick and convenient also and does indeed use a tiny amount of charcoal.

Neither take up much space to pack up...having the two comes in handy when friends pop around!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Basic, get some drift wood lake or sea set fire to it sit have a few beers, when flames have gone start cooking. Simples.
Just remember that in most areas here in Spain there are restrictions on fires & cooking outside from April until October due to the fire risk. Over the last few years most of the ' built -in' barbecues at the leisure sites have all been removed because of fire risk. It is also illegal to smoke in the countryside .Even outside my own house I could be nicked.:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back