A couple of questions about waste water (1 Viewer)

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
During a recent trip in our CI Riviera 171 a couple of situations arose and I wondered how others have tackled these issues.

1. We stayed on a fully serviced pitch with a fresh water supply and waste disposal. The outlet of our waste tank appears to have a threaded connection but is it possible to get a flexible hose that would attach to this, and if so where from? This would also help at sites with no MH service point.

2. We stayed on a pitch for a couple of nights and when the waste tank was full had to drive to the MH service point to empty it. I've thought about using a bucket (assuming it would fit underneath) and various tugger type waste carrier solutions esp. the Fiamma 40ltr one which appears to have a big red opening that would be easier to line up with the van's waste pipe.

Can't decide how best to deal with these, especially point 2 so would appreciate any comments, advice or experience on this.

TJ

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
If I can't manoeuvre the MH so that the pipe is over the waste drain then I use a bucket,as the well known meerkat says "seemples"..:ROFLMAO: Or ( very naughty ) if you are on a gravel hardstanding then when it's dark , dump it ! It's only water after all !!!..:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If I can't manoeuvre the MH so that the pipe is over the waste drain then I use a bucket,as the well known meerkat says "seemples"..:ROFLMAO: Or ( very naughty ) if you are on a gravel hardstanding then when it's dark , dump it ! It's only water after all !!!..:thumb:

Quick Steve, hide....the PC brigade and the purists are coming your way.
hurry, hide, hide, hide::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I use a wastemaster and take it to the emptying point or move the MH

I wouldn't dream of dumping it in the dark:ROFLMAO:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have a wastemaster but i stays at home, takes up to much space. On site we just use a small bucket. Most days I'll fill the bucket and take it to the drain with a watering can. Empty the bucket, fill the watering can and go back to the van. Top up the FW tank and repeat as required. Takes about 15 mins. a day.

Bill

OP
OP
T

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
Now that makes sense, we keep a 10ltr water carrier in the side locker for emergencies and filling up. I hadn't thought about combining the dumping and fetching tasks together :Doh:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We managed to get a fitting from B&Q to fit ours, I believe it was in the heating section, it is plastic and we attached a matching plastic hose to it. They do quite a few different size fittings so should find one to fit

little jack

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
Funster No
An alternative to a bucket is a water carrier - most dealers sell a black one for waste water with a large screwcap in the side so that it can be laid flat for filling, but they are a bit bulky as they hold about 20litres. I use a plastic 10litre diesel carrier as I have a flexi hose to fit the waste pipe.
To answer your first point, I have a Bessacar which hasa threaded waste outlet, from local Swift group dealer I got a length of ribbed flexi hose, plus a connector that screws onto said waste pipe. Makes emptying at waste points much easier when drain is in a less than ideal position, as well as above.

little jack

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What you need is a longish 1" hose.. about 8 to 10 mt .. should be ample ..

when it's dark, you creep over and place the end in your neighbours grey waste tank.. dump your grey and recover your hose .. :thumb:
Or if parked near an RV .. place behind his back wheel and dump.. he'll think he has a leaking valve.. :roflmto:

This is called Stealth Dumping ..

Not to be confused with a Stealth SOG .. :Eeek: :Doh:

jim

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I use a Fiamma 23 litre waste container, which seems to be about a days water usage for us. Its much smaller than a wastemaster type but still has the wheels. And, shhh, it has a small screw cap underneath so you can stealth dump while strolling round the camp site.

Cunning these Frenchies.

ennboat

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
10 years
Waste water.

We have one of those really expensive automatic emptying devices fitted to our van so have never had to empty it manually. It seems to know when the van is on the move and trickle it along the road, very clever, and well worth the £375.21 :winky: It is only washing up water with a bit of tooth paste spit mixed in after all. :Smile:

As a wise man once said " It is better to be stood up than sat down when the ground is wet"

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Quick Steve, hide....the PC brigade and the purists are coming your way.
hurry, hide, hide, hide::bigsmile:

So it's now OK for all of us to dump waste water anywhere we like on campsites, laybys, roads etc. I'm glad that's cleared up.

It seems that 99% of us are fed up with having our enjoyment curtailed by ever increasing regulations.

Is it any wonder that the general public despise us when there are so many motor homing slobs around.

Have any of you visited a "working man's site" where they just dump their water onto the ground? After a short time the smell is nauseating.

I just hope that people like you keep well away from me - I want to enjoy my camping - not camp is a cesspit.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So it's now OK for all of us to dump waste water anywhere we like on campsites, laybys, roads etc. I'm glad that's cleared up.

It seems that 99% of us are fed up with having our enjoyment curtailed by ever increasing regulations.

Is it any wonder that the general public despise us when there are so many motor homing slobs around.

Have any of you visited a "working man's site" where they just dump their water onto the ground? After a short time the smell is nauseating.

I just hope that people like you keep well away from me - I want to enjoy my camping - not camp is a cesspit.

Hey!!!!! steady on oldun, it was posted tongue in cheek.

the post you should have quoted was the one by steve that i responded to!!!!

incidently, i empty the grey on the road while moving if i can't empty beforehand......i figure as most of the country is still using ancient, victorian sewers, with more 'leeks' than a welsh allotment, a few more gallons isn't making much difference to the environment

Last edited:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Waste carrier

An alternative to a bucket is a water carrier - most dealers sell a black one for waste water with a large screwcap in the side so that it can be laid flat for filling, but they are a bit bulky as they hold about 20litres. I use a plastic 10litre diesel carrier as I have a flexi hose to fit the waste pipe.
To answer your first point, I have a Bessacar which hasa threaded waste outlet, from local Swift group dealer I got a length of ribbed flexi hose, plus a connector that screws onto said waste pipe. Makes emptying at waste points much easier when drain is in a less than ideal position, as well as above.

little jack
I bought a black one with the red top but the price difference are amazing. I saw one at Catterick at around £7 and bought one for £8 at Westcountry Motorhomes nr Cheddar. At Hope in the Peak Dist and here in Plymouth they retail at ---- £14 some mark up, so shop around and probably a lot cheaper at shows. A bit bulky to stow but when on siteit will be outside anyway. I use'd to use an old nappy bucket with a lid
but found it difficult to fill.:thumb:

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
water

Hi.

Our experiences have been;
Drumaheglis caravan site N Ireland- fully serviced (most comfortable) where our waste water was simply directed down a drain hole conveniently positioned under the van via a hose provided with the hymer van

cheddar caravan park- not fully serviced , where we had to drive around to the water and grey water point every 3 days and take on and release waters.

I know which I prefer- but I'm lazy:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

when it's dark, you creep over and place the end in your neighbours grey waste tank.. dump your grey and recover your hose .. :thumb:
Or if parked near an RV .. place behind his back wheel and dump.. he'll think he has a leaking valve.. :roflmto:

jim

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

After spending two hours trying to fettle my stupid Vodafone Dongle that suddenly stopped working and waiting for a reboot / throw it out the window I saw this and feel cheery again now!

Hey Jim!

Your humerous distraction helped I have managed to fix the Vodafone Dongle, only taken me just over 2 hours which isnt good for an IT consultant thats been in the trade 21 years. Im off now to empty me loo over next doors garden wall.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It was with great joy and a huge smile yesterday that I stepped out of my ancient but adored Hymer 660 parked in the middle of a "site", wandered around to the waste tank and in full daylight brazenly open the tap letting the contents spill out onto the ground. This fluid was almost instantly instantly absorbed by the parched earth (and also scared off a couple of ants.)

The "site" owner didn't mind at all! I was on Quinta Majay... my own tiny piece of Portugal.

JJ.

PS. when on other people's places or public areas I use a bucket if can't park over a suitable drain...

PPS. Maybe the waste water will drain down though the earth being filtered on the way and start filling my dry wells!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
After spending two hours trying to fettle my stupid Vodafone Dongle that suddenly stopped working and waiting for a reboot / throw it out the window I saw this and feel cheery again now!

Hey Jim!

Your humerous distraction helped I have managed to fix the Vodafone Dongle, only taken me just over 2 hours which isnt good for an IT consultant thats been in the trade 21 years. Im off now to empty me loo over next doors garden wall.

Hi Barry

glad it cheered your day up .. nothing more frustrating than a slow dongle :Eeek: :roflmto:

On a more serious note..

Many farm type sites, CLs etc actively encourage hedge row dumping .. they don't want there tanks full of grey.. costs a lot to get them emptied..

A good idea on this type of site is to pipe your grey directly to the hedge .. I use the hose that I bought for the macerater .. it's 10mt of 1" clear plastic .. doing this way it's only trickling in and disappears almost immediately ..

Unfortunately we are too far from the elsan point to use the macerater so I empty the black every four days using a Tote N Stor waste hog ..

jim

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jim

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
is it possible to get a flexible hose that would attach to this, and if so where from?

TJ[/QUOTE]

My Hymer came with a waste pipe extension hose. It is very much like a 'Hoover' extension hose, and about the same diameter. It is a push-fit onto the the waste water outlet, and about 2metres long.
You could try your 'hoover' extension to see if it fits your wates outlet.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We dont tend to stay in one place long enough for this to be a problem. Washing up water often goes out of the window (this is mainly to avoid blocking the sink. Again) but only if it is appropriate and if we cant drive over a dump grate it goes down a drain in a quiet road or down the road as we drive off. I dont like none MH users to see us do this as they probably think its you loo or something, not just washing water.

I have to say I embarresed us all in France in June on the Aire at Dinan which is quite sloping. I didnt know our drain was left open, nothing had come out because of the slope but when I reversed out to leave it all came spewing out across the tarmac across the otherside to three French vans (one of which was sat outside having breakfast). I stopped to appologise but nobody seemed fussed. A few times when we were joined at wild spots many people emptied their grey on the grass either at night or sometimes blatently through the day. It can pong a bit so I wouldnt do that if others were around.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
You have got to understand that nobody wants to talk about the correct disposal of poo.

Mainly it is the domain of wild campers.

I have yet to hear off an acceptable method for the disposal of poo.
Its a secret, its not really, use your imagination.

Jim
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You have got to understand that nobody wants to talk about the correct disposal of poo.

Jim

Ahhh.. now we are on Stealth poo disposal .. a whole new ball game.. :roflmto:

that's where an ex army trench tool is useful .. used that a couple of times when 'needs must' :winky:..

swapping cassettes with a neighbour isn't advised .. you might end up worse off :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08

Jim

Ask nicely at a campsite and offer to pay
Dump it discretely in a quiet public loo (dont make a mess and clean up if you do)
Prefered option. Get out of the UK and set you sat nav to ping when you are within half a mile of an Aire, drive to Aire, dump, fill water, drive to next wild camping spot, 4 days later, repeat. simple

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

By golly oldun, what about it's only water that you don't understand !! Have you heard of rain, it's the same stuff only without a bit of detergent !! It doesn't smell !! Wake up , smell the coffee !!!.....:Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Dump it discretely in a quiet public loo (dont make a mess and clean up if you do)
Prefered option. Get out of the UK and set you sat nav to ping when you are within half a mile of an Aire, drive to Aire, dump, fill water, drive to next wild camping spot, 4 days later, repeat. simple

Not so sipmle when youre in the uk, which is were we are now. Its still a question that nobody will answer.

Jim

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Not so sipmle when youre in the uk, which is were we are now. Its still a question that nobody will answer.

Jim

Point one and two for UK

Use a public loo

do it all the time in the UK never had a problem, got politely refused once at a campsite as they discovered we were wild camping and didnt want us to use the facilities even if we paid. Moved on and found somewhere else that wasnt fussed. Takes 30 seconds to empty the loo, dont know what all the fuss is about.

there it is no longer a question that nobody will answer.

Once wild camping in France we came across a campsite in Brittany and they let us fill and empty for free and allowed Michelle to do her washing and Ironing using their facilities for nothing. I offered some money and they wouldnt accept it! Can you see that happening in the UK?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what can be difficult go to a recreation park with a toilet in it ,better for parking. look around the toilet block ,i,m sure you will find an appropriate manhole cover lift it n empty . if you are in the country dig an hole n bury it. if its only a cassette tip it in the toilet and clean up any mess. if you dont know how to get rid of your waste sensibly you shouldnt be allowed to have a camper. ican talk s..t all day dont bother me drove enough sh..tankers n emptied enough pits n tanks to fill many a big hole. dont use blue /green rubbish better for the enviroment if its natural s..t best place is find a quiet place in maroc no one around for miles just as you start to tip BINGO 25 moroccans jump out of nowhere and ask for a bon bon or a ciggarette. f@@k o@@ comes to mind but never mind they take your rubbish bag n disapear again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back