Installing a Snipe Sat' System on your roof (1 Viewer)

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
I've installed the above on the roof of my van and all went smoothly until it came to using the supplied stainless cap head 6mm screws to fit the unit onto the base plate. Two screws jammed straight away and snapped off upon trying to remove them. These screws are cheap Chinese rubbish and aren't fit for purpose. I think they are too long and gall in the bottom of the thread and are so difficult to move back out that they snap off. Luckily there are 8 of them so 6 will easily hold it down. I binned all of the rest and used 12mm long European ones instead of the 15mm ones supplied. the threads of the clinch nut inserts were fine, as I even ran a straight 6mm tap down them first.
A case of a good product ruined by some cheap and nasty fixings. If you're planning on fitting one be warned. It could have been a disaster, as the plate was stuck really hard down and to remove it to sort out the snapped fixings would have been a right royal pain in the bum.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
just fitted a snipe 2 went on like a dream,and works very well,did not come across any problems,was it a snipe 1 or 2 !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
welcome Peter..nice to see your friendly face again...

My oh my! you have not aged in over 20 years!:D

Eddie

alanawayfromhome

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
My son gave me his Snipe Sat system but I've been told it is really a ground based portable system and it needs to be the bigger Snipe pro to be fixed on the roof of the m/h.
Is this right?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes, I fitted a snipe 1 & they refused the warranty when it went faulty so beware, if it goes wrong you're on your own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
My son gave me his Snipe Sat system but I've been told it is really a ground based portable system and it needs to be the bigger Snipe pro to be fixed on the roof of the m/h.
Is this right?
I don't claim to be any authority or expert on this subject, but I think the first Snipe is said to potentially have a suboptimal motor in comparison to the later versions, and probably other "opportunities" the manufacturer has since ironed out. I wouldn't try to argue the Snipe one is as or more robust than the premium name offerings, but it's worked ok for us so far...

Regarding usage, the original Snipe marketing materials explicitly showed it both permanently mounted for use on vehicles and as a portable system. On the continent, it seems the vehicle mounting plate is part of the package, unlike in the UK? (ours shipped from Germany via a UK AV company on eBay for circa £500)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Comes with a roof mounting kit for perminant fixing, the snipe 2 is a lot more robust,also has a new lock down feature, so I would not think there would be a problem with warranty, not with all the above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back