Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
hi unfortunately looks like we are getting a disabled blue badge due to the wife's condition. Now never having one before what's the advantages / uses for when we are in the motorhome ?

1. I've heard cheaper toll road fees when in France if the operators allow it .
2. Free use of the seven toll bridge into Wales

What other little known facts .

I think I can park safely on double yellow lines ?
What about Blackpool promenade ? Can't usually park motorhome said but with badge ?

Just wondering really , not looking to take the pee. Would rather we didn't need one and wife was better

Gary

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Time limit on Double Yellows and you still can't park on them if there's 'No Loading' markers there. (Lines at right angles to the road on the edge of the pavement.
Beware of the Local Authorities who still charge for Blue Badge holders in their car parks. Not all of them give freebies unless, (and here I quote Cornwall Council) the vehicle has a Vehicle Excise Licence at the Nil Rate, How would they know???

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in cornwall you have to notify them your reg number etc then parking in council car parks is free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Time limit on Double Yellows and you still can't park on them if there's 'No Loading' markers there. (Lines at right angles to the road on the edge of the pavement.
Beware of the Local Authorities who still charge for Blue Badge holders in their car parks. Not all of them give freebies unless, (and here I quote Cornwall Council) the vehicle has a Vehicle Excise Licence at the Nil Rate, How would they know???
Hhumm ! No rfl discs anymore..??

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
DVLA access!!!

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Re tax I photocopy the v5
Re yellow lines, a book should come with your first blue badge if not the details are on line.
I also carry translations of blue badge doc laminated when travelling. These are downloadable from aa or rac I can't remember which

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
regardless of dvla . in cornwall county council car parks they do issue penalties if you havnt registered your vehicle as disabled with them.
it really is daft but believe me they do issue penalties .
yes they could check but dont its your responsibilty to register. all their carparks have signs telling you the score.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I don't see why it should be free to park because you are disabled. What you need is a wide bay usually to enable you to access your vehicle easily..I can understand it being free if you are financially challenged but that can be true even if your not disabled. BUSBY.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Re tax I photocopy the v5
Re yellow lines, a book should come with your first blue badge if not the details are on line.
I also carry translations of blue badge doc laminated when travelling. These are downloadable from aa or rac I can't remember which
That sounds good I'll go search for them

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I don't see why it should be free to park because you are disabled. What you need is a wide bay usually to enable you to access your vehicle easily..I can understand it being free if you are financially challenged but that can be true even if your not disabled. BUSBY.
I'm new to all this unfortunately. My take is that I need to park very close to shops ,banks etc. no problem paying just that wife can't walk very far so hence need to be as close as possible. I understand the parking on double yellows to allow me to park closer . I'd happily pay for parking close though

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I agree with your sentiments @busby ref. paying to park when you have a blue badge , I do have a blue badge and its my best ever benefit .it allows me to park near to where I need to shop .I/would not be concerned if the free parking was stopped ,the way I look at it is if you can afford to run a vehicle you can afford to pay for parking..also I believe that if free parking was scrapped the abuse of the badge by non disabled persons would diminish..

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
It can be that you can't use the bay's unless you fit the criteria.
Sometimes also the only parking near where you want/need to be and unfortunately everything takes longer! I agree re costs but I believe they do it so wheelchair users or those with more severe disabilities can utilise these spaces, believe you me I'd rather not.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
It can be that you can't use the bay's unless you fit the criteria.
Sometimes also the only parking near where you want/need to be and unfortunately everything takes longer! I agree re costs but I believe they do it so wheelchair users or those with more severe disabilities can utilise these spaces, believe you me I'd rather not.

Agree,,my problem is getting in and out of the vehicle,,i have to have my door wide open. The walking i don't mind once i am out and moving,,BUSBY.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Agree,,my problem is getting in and out of the vehicle,,i have to have my door wide open. The walking i don't mind once i am out and moving,,BUSBY.
Same here but worse case scenario is if someone blocks the blinkin wheelchair door! Blue badge is a great scheme and I've noticed better policing of it as of late.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i dont find any need to do anything than put the card in the window when abroad . even morocco accepts blue badges as disabled parking .
i often used the badge there . always had interest specially if i had the trailer hitched up.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sometimes also the only parking near where you want/need to be and unfortunately everything takes longer!
Interestingly Lincoln seems to have taken that point onboard in their short term carparks...
You pay the same as everyone else - just get twice as long.
1h = 2h

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
in cornwall you have to notify them your reg number etc then parking in council car parks is free.
The new application form asks for three registration numbers, though you can use any vehicle. If you add the MH to that list, it's very handy in situations as you describe, because they can check any badge number to your notified three.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The "Blue Badge" is for the use of the disabled person ONLY. Technically it is not allowed if the person to whom it is issued does not exit the vehicle!. So "nipping to the bank" with the disabled person sat in the car is ABUSE!. You can be Fined for causing an obstruction regardless, so watch very carefully where you do park on the "double yellows" and never where it`s "Loading Only", (besides it upsets us old lorry drivers!!). Nothing worse than finding 3 "blue badges" on the loading bay!!, and having to "tip" in the middle of the road!. (Boyes Bridlington). As for "free parking" well, most often it is those who are worse off, but have a "motobility" vehicle, but who are the ones who have the lowest disposable incomes, they have mobility, at a price, and it would be far too costly thereby defeating the object, to fiscally assess all badge users. (and beside who really wants another tier of bureaucrats sat on their fat arses, to "manage"?)

As for Cornwall. what happens with Visitor cars then?. Do all the "Grockles" have to spend half a day of their holidays registering?

Pete

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i know a few years ago cornwall got me in staustell . luckily i had just returned from abroad i didnt know that cornwall council had altered its rules i was in my mazda bongo with ordinary tax . it was when we had discs . i sent them in a copy of the ferry tickets and as they issue my blue badge i questioned them . i got let off . but doesnt matter what vehicle you drive the disability doesnt get more or less .
i get alsorts of grief if on my motor bike . .in our local asda the lady carpark warden knows my truck . she says every time if i park in a disabled bay someone tells the manager there is a break down truck parked wrong . we do laugh about it .

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
Free Dartford crossing too.

have they changed the criteria for the dartford crossing now then? it was free only if the road fund licence/tax disc was marked as disabled..

edit..have just checked on the dartford crossing site, it says..

You’ll still have to pay if:

• you have a Blue Badge but aren’t exempt from paying vehicle tax
  • you travel in a vehicle that isn’t exempt
You don’t need to do anything to get the exemption. Your vehicle details will be checked with DVLA when crossings are made in your vehicle.

https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing-fees-exemptions-penalties

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That's good advice, when I was transporting my Great Aunt many years ago, she had a blue badge. I put it in the windscreen, set the time and took her into the shop. Sadly it had the marks on the pavement, so I still got a ticket! Ignorance is no defence :D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
o "nipping to the bank" with the disabled person sat in the car is ABUSE!.
Not if their going to the bank on your behalf, Peter. They cant bank for themselves, however, and cant shop for you if you remain at home.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

For able bodied people like you or I we have the option of walking perhaps from a free car park or an area where it's free to park. A disabled person may not be able to walk those distances so are forced to pay if parking is not made free and available to them.

In short giving free parking to those who are less abled makes it equal ..

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The "Blue Badge" is for the use of the disabled person ONLY. Technically it is not allowed if the person to whom it is issued does not exit the vehicle!. So "nipping to the bank" with the disabled person sat in the car is ABUSE!. You can be Fined for causing an obstruction regardless, so watch very carefully where you do park on the "double yellows" and never where it`s "Loading Only", (besides it upsets us old lorry drivers!!). Nothing worse than finding 3 "blue badges" on the loading bay!!, and having to "tip" in the middle of the road!. (Boyes Bridlington). As for "free parking" well, most often it is those who are worse off, but have a "motobility" vehicle, but who are the ones who have the lowest disposable incomes, they have mobility, at a price, and it would be far too costly thereby defeating the object, to fiscally assess all badge users. (and beside who really wants another tier of bureaucrats sat on their fat arses, to "manage"?)

As for Cornwall. what happens with Visitor cars then?. Do all the "Grockles" have to spend half a day of their holidays registering?

Pete

What on earth is a Grockle ??

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in cornwall they arent grockles . you are an emmit .
comes from the cornish language .

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
For able bodied people like you or I we have the option of walking perhaps from a free car park or an area where it's free to park. A disabled person may not be able to walk those distances so are forced to pay if parking is not made free and available to them.

In short giving free parking to those who are less abled makes it equal ..
Not really. It is a blanket policy that is easy to administer. In order to make it equal you would have to have levels of blue badge that gave each disabled person exactly which advantages they needed to overcome their specific mobility issues. That would be too burdensome to administer though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back