Apr 28, 2016
Surrey (for now) :)
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
Hi...

We are about to start an open ended trip around Europe to end up in sunny Spain and then buy a Finca, but, we dont know and can't find a suitable MH to take my Vespa GTS 300 super comfatably in the garage... your suggestions / advice would be warmly received...

Many thanks

Chris & Shona

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Only one suggestion really.....watch your payload and rear axle loading. Ok so that's two, but they are really linked. A little van with a large garage and long rear overhang invites overloading the rear wheels, maybe a tag would be OK, but thats getting big and expensive.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If axle weights \ payload permits could you expand your options by putting it on a rack on the back or towing it on a trailer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
Only one suggestion really.....watch your payload and rear axle loading. Ok so that's two, but they are really linked. A little van with a large garage and long rear overhang invites overloading the rear wheels, maybe a tag would be OK, but thats getting big and expensive.

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
If axle weights \ payload permits could you expand your options by putting it on a rack on the back or towing it on a trailer?
A trailer is a sensible solution but seems so lame...

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We transport ours on a Easylifter scooter rack. Works really well.

Ooops, sorry just seen the weight of your scooter - too heavy for this, ours is sub 100 kilos.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well you could flog the scoot ( at that weight it is a bit of a hippopotamus ! ) and get a motorcycle
Something about 250cc would almost certainly be massively lighter and have about the same performance and economy

Just did a 10 second search and came up with hundreds of options..
For instance this one:

is only 130 kg !!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Are you sure its not more like 160kg.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Or if you want to stay with a scooter....

only 156kg, same power, same economy.. LOADS of boot space...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Assuming we do conclude that the scooter weighs 160 ish kg so more like 330 lbs then that does possibly open up your choice of MH with garage, yes weight will stil be an issue and if you are on a big trip you want plenty of payload for "Stuff" so I would suggest that you look for something on an IVECO or older Merc 6 tonne chassis which should give you plenty of payload and loads of rear axle weight.

Depending on you budget I would be tempted to suggest an older N+B Flair, Concorde or even a Carthago, some of Hesse things came out of the factory with over 1 tonne of payload.

Martin

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don't buy a FINCA,,keep touring,,,been there done it and so have many more,,,,BUSBY.:):):)

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my bad, yup it weighs circa 150 Kg, now just gotta find a MH with a door big enough :)

THANKS SO FAR EVERYONE

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
Assuming we do conclude that the scooter weighs 160 ish kg so more like 330 lbs then that does possibly open up your choice of MH with garage, yes weight will stil be an issue and if you are on a big trip you want plenty of payload for "Stuff" so I would suggest that you look for something on an IVECO or older Merc 6 tonne chassis which should give you plenty of payload and loads of rear axle weight.

Depending on you budget I would be tempted to suggest an older N+B Flair, Concorde or even a Carthago, some of Hesse things came out of the factory with over 1 tonne of payload.

Martin

Oh mate, the N+B Flair is amazing, just what I want, but for £40k :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oh mate, the N+B Flair is amazing, just what I want, but for £40k :)
You would get one about 10 years old for that money, possibly a bit less cash or newer model if you looked abroad. You don't often see on on the UK market but they do pop up from time to time.

Martin

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I also have a Vespa 300 gts and it fits (just) in the garage of our Carthago c-tourer if I take the mirrors off. That's just a couple of mins job. I also have a topbox fitted which I have to remove (single nut) to load but it fits back on once the scooter is inside the garage. That makes it less likely to get scratched while transporting it.

Allan

OP
OP
lammyboy

lammyboy

Free Member
Apr 28, 2016
Funster No
MH
not yet acquired
Exp
2 holidays in UK
I also have a Vespa 300 gts and it fits (just) in the garage of our Carthago c-tourer if I take the mirrors off. That's just a couple of mins job. I also have a topbox fitted which I have to remove (single nut) to load but it fits back on once the scooter is inside the garage. That makes it less likely to get scratched while transporting it.

Allan

Brilliant info - thank you

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Thanks for that, and yes I'm aware of the potential over weight, the scooter weighs 330Kg
?????????? How much! that is a hell of a scooter. My little Honda weigh 117 kilos, or did you mean Goldwing not Vespa.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I bought a scooter so that my wife can keep up with me on my E bike. Doesn't get used much, she says it makes her right leg ache and wears out the heel on her shoe when using the brake…...Mind you, it only weighs a few pounds so that's a bonus....:think:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

It would fit in my Frankia Platin Plus with load-space to spare. There are some nice used ones out there down nearer your price range.

This weighs in at around 230kg and fits in the larger rear Garage door (just)

IMG_1238_800x598.JPG

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
One thing to be careful of if putting a motorcycle or scooter in a garage in the motorhome if the garage is not sealed there could possibly fumes or smell from petrol in the bike coming in to the bedroom area. Please note this is only my advice, not a reason for keyboard warriors to start a war.;)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Please note this is only my advice, not a reason for keyboard warriors to start a war

And it is very sensible advice too, my last MoHo had a heated garage too but it was vented to the transverse bed above, I know because I got a whiff of my BBQ on one occasion.

This new one is heated but vented separately, but worth checking if you have petrol aboard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back