Apr 25, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
im brand new to this
Hi
can anyone tell me the ins and outs of campsites ,are we allowed to just turn up or should we try to book a spot
booking could be a problem as we are just going to follow our noses and head north to wherever we get to
all advice good and bad is greatly appreciated by two very newbies
mik,yvonne + zeus

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi.
We always phone ahead just to make sure they've got space but you can turn up unannounced and take your chances. Definitely book if school holidays or you could be searching around for a spot for ages.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Booking depends on the site and time of year. Some are fully booked in high season. Large sites might have a few pitches and you pay your money and you're in!
Usually you can't arrive until after midday & some site managers can flip if anyone turns up before then.
Also depends how many sites there are in an area. If one's full you can drive onto another. In France there's always an Aire or somewhere to park up so far less need to book than UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Booking or at least phoning is maybe a good idea but not normaly essential except at peak times.
If you're just looking for overnight stops (free) as opposed to campsites then consider schemes such as brits tops and park 4 night etc

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It also depends on whether or not you are determined to stay in a particular location. We (or rather she) simply phones ahead starting around lunchtime. If the first choice is full she tries second choice. I don't think we've ever got past third choice. There's always somewhere if you're content to simply wander in roughly the right direction.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Usually always book when in the UK. Never book when abroad as there's usually so much choice and then there's Aires. However, we do try to avoid travelling when it's a bank holiday in whichever country we are in at the time. Oh, and
welcome animated smiley.gif

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:welc: Always book in school holidays in the Uk but in France usually rock up to small municipal sites or aires and if full move on there is always one down the road!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We usually book for some of the trip and wild for some. We can go 2 nights wild but with no showers on board need to know there is a shower before the third.

We tend to find the main issue is turning up late.. Most sites on the continent have late arrival facilities but in the uk seems to only be the expensive ones.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
If you're just looking for overnight stops (free) as opposed to campsites then consider schemes such as brits tops

Just thought i should clarify that you're not looking for one of Britney's old tee shirts...

Steve :)

OP
OP
Mik Yvonne + the dug

Mik Yvonne + the dug

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
im brand new to this
Looking foreward to tomorrow we pick up @ 12.30 then head for the hills
She who must be obeyed wants to visit john'o'groats so thats the way we go
any advice on parking up on route [wild or not] will be much appreciated

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Looking foreward to tomorrow we pick up @ 12.30 then head for the hills
She who must be obeyed wants to visit john'o'groats so thats the way we go
any advice on parking up on route [wild or not] will be much appreciated

There is a good campsite at John O'Groats.
It was a bit scruffy when we were there a couple of years ago but the views and sunsets are amazing.

Richard.

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
I'm currently working on a cycle route from John O'Groats to Lands End and back ... there are loads of laybys, park4night and BritStops along the route (not that many camp sites though, which I will be needed to empty and fill). I reckon no matter where the cyclist gets tired, I will be able to park for the night, within a couple of miles of that spot.

?

Deleted User
Nice looking dug. I had one that had to go. Could not give him away. Gave him to a couple from up Tynecastle who brought him back two days later as the cat was living behind the cooker. He is in Dalkeith now if still alive as this was 12 years back.

OP
OP
Mik Yvonne + the dug

Mik Yvonne + the dug

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
im brand new to this
Nice looking dug. I had one that had to go. Could not give him away. Gave him to a couple from up Tynecastle who brought him back two days later as the cat was living behind the cooker. He is in Dalkeith now if still alive as this was 12 years back.
I wish id spoke sooner cos we wouldve took him ,nae probs

OP
OP
Mik Yvonne + the dug

Mik Yvonne + the dug

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
im brand new to this
Deary me
weve not left yet but she has changed the route,,,,,now we do a couple of days north then she decided "ive got family in dereham[norwich] we could visit pppffffftttttt women

?

Deleted User
I wish id spoke sooner cos we wouldve took him ,nae probs

He was a great dog. The problem was us as we both worked (wife part time) but as a bug pup he needed more interaction and ended up being a chewer. His new home had a retired lady and all turned out well but we should have looked into ownership more.

OP
OP
Mik Yvonne + the dug

Mik Yvonne + the dug

Free Member
Apr 25, 2016
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
im brand new to this
He was a great dog. The problem was us as we both worked (wife part time) but as a bug pup he needed more interaction and ended up being a chewer. His new home had a retired lady and all turned out well but we should have looked into ownership more.
Yea we actually rescued this 1 he was under weight and seriously cowed at 1 yr old the poor beast was terrified of men --now hes a bloody fruitcake [like the wife]and such a gentle beast exept around big dogs lol

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
dug and company, I rarely book ahead in the U.K but as others have said it depends on the time of year. There is no need to book ahead when in Scotland as wild camping is allowed, I have recently returned from ten days up there and wild camped every night.
Once you have settled into your van then plan a trip to France, THE place to go with a motorhome.
And :welcomesign:
P.S Not far now (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back