Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while but thought it was time to join and ask a few questions.

Am looking at buying a new A Class in August/September, started looking early as it is a lot to think about and I would like to get it right 1st time.

At the moment 2 of the vehicles I am looking at are 8.5m long the others 9 and 9.3.
Looking some campsites it seems that anything over 8m seems to be an issue especially the ones I have seen in Italy.

Is there any issues with ferries on over the 9m length.

Thanks and no doubt I will be asking more questions!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Welcome on board.... You are now officially not a lurk ;)

Certainly a good thing to do your research as you clearly have done and the A class gives a lot of space (we have one but only 7metres). Quite a few people will be interested in other people's experiences of large MH's on the continent - certainly not something that we had considered. Best of luck(y)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have a 8.75m A Class Motorhome and we love it but the next one we get will be a 7.5 we wont have to think will we fit on the pitch or get into the aire .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i may be able to let you know how we get on next month, going over to france and just using aires.
we are 10.4 m by the way

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Ferries are sub 7m and sub 10M .. if you cant measure very well, you can save a bit of money. I would buy what you like , rather than what you you think will fit on places you havent been yet. If you go to coastal places , size might be tight , but i have never had issues with getting on places.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Don't worry about which one as you will get it wrong anyway and change it, probably.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Depends on what sort of camping you'll do. A lot of campsites take up to 8 metres as pitches are marked out.
A lot of the 5 van sites are fields so it won't really matter.
Some of the Aires abroad won't fit you, but others will.
Big van for a starter??
Would you be better off buying second hand so you can decide what you really need??
Most change their first van, as what you think you need and what you should have might differ lol

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interestingly the Brittany Ferries website only have choices of MH length going up to 9m but their ferries take trucks and buses so I guess you just need to ring them to make a booking. Other companies may be the same.

Assuming you have worked out what you want to do with your MH and are happy to ring ahead or do some research before each move to avoid drama then go for it. I've been on plenty of sites and aires where you would really struggle to find space but then you probably wouldn't want to go to the same places. :) However, I've also been on aires where a big vehicle would be no problem.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi CC we bought a 9.2 metre A class new nearly 3 years ago and still have and love it. We use the sat nav on lorry setting and this generally keeps us out of trouble, though it is never up to date enough to avoid everything! I do try and miss roads that have a 3.5 ton limit but somehow we often end up driving right through towns and cities. We have survived so far.
We tend to move every 3 or 4 days parking up and then getting around and about on our electric bikes. There are obviously some limitations to where we go and not every site or aire can accomodate us but there seem to be plenty enough that can. We could happily loose a bit of length and still be very comfortable, our next van might be around 8.5m. We are off to Italy in June and have booked our sites. We wont be going on the Amalfi drive! The ferries can be a bit more expensive and we are too large for some. You often have to book by phone. The tunnel is cheap as length is irrelevant. All tolls to date class 2. Watch out for and make sure you understand the issue of payload. It can be tempting to carry lots of gear because you seem to have the space, it is easy to overload. Good luck.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Yes, it's only when you have used it for a few months that you realise that it's not quite right. On the 6th and final one now though as it's my own conversion that's it.

Jesus.. does 'not quite right' take 6 goes to fix. I guess im less fussy than most, and my needs are space and payload, im not a 'details ' type.. i know someone who changed a camper to get a bigger fridge.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We changed from a caravan 4 years ago now and as our first motorhome we bought a 8.5 metre A class, no problem with ferries but yes it is a bit big for some spots on camp sites and Aires but we always get where we want to be without any real problems. We are still with the same van over 4 years later and keep saying when we change we will go closer to 8 metres but then can't see anything we like better and don't really want to compromise on the space, either living space or garage space.

The one thing I would say is that once you have had the space it's difficult to give it up.

Martin

I should add that we never phone ahead or particularly plan where we are going and have never failed to get into a camp site or aire.

Last edited:

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Hi and welcome @Coastal Cruiser. Like you, we lurked for a while and soaked up information before joining. We bought a 7.4m Hymer 5 years ago as our first motorhome. We hoped to buy once and buy smart. We still own that same motorhome now, so I guess we bought smart. We have thought about changing, but can't find anything that gives us more, apart from more 'toys' although hubby still keeps looking :whistle: We both agree that some features would be lovely to have, but we find that our van is plenty big enough and can fit on any campsite or Aire.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I assume this isn't your first van? If it is I wouldn't contemplate new because it will not be a keeper. For a first van buy something that you think you want but also something popular and easy to sell on. Because you will sell it on. Minor layout issues aren't apparent unless you are very experienced and some become intensely annoying after a couple of weeks of use.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I assume this isn't your first van? If it is I wouldn't contemplate new because it will not be a keeper. For a first van buy something that you think you want but also something popular and easy to sell on. Because you will sell it on. Minor layout issues aren't apparent unless you are very experienced and some become intensely annoying after a couple of weeks of use.
Must admit that I missed the 'new' bit! Totally agree I would never buy a new van as a first van. I'm not even sure I'd buy a new van now!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4:, I lurked studied and enjoyed fun till I was ready to buy. This place taught me so much I can never say thank you enough to all of the posters whose posts helped me .
I decided to buy a larger van than I was planning on buying and I'm glad I did.
I've got a 7.4 m van. I bought second hand as a first van. I'm three weeks into our first trip and not had a problem getting onto sites etc but some of the roads I've been down to get to them have been tight . Every thing about motorhomes is a compromise , I love the room and the payload in the van I purchased. The downside of a big van is you have to plan more and cant drive to exactly where you want to visit.
You are probably going to buy a much more expensive van than me but I live in the same town as you and your more than welcome to come and see how big on the road the vans are (y)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Some are governed by space ie driveway and look to flexibility.
Have fun shopping and browsing for a van, consider hiring to test out living space vs fixed beds and MH shows so you can climb all over different models.

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Hi CC we bought a 9.2 metre A class new nearly 3 years ago and still have and love it. We use the sat nav on lorry setting and this generally keeps us out of trouble, though it is never up to date enough to avoid everything! I do try and miss roads that have a 3.5 ton limit but somehow we often end up driving right through towns and cities. We have survived so far.
We tend to move every 3 or 4 days parking up and then getting around and about on our electric bikes. There are obviously some limitations to where we go and not every site or aire can accomodate us but there seem to be plenty enough that can. We could happily loose a bit of length and still be very comfortable, our next van might be around 8.5m. We are off to Italy in June and have booked our sites. We wont be going on the Amalfi drive! The ferries can be a bit more expensive and we are too large for some. You often have to book by phone. The tunnel is cheap as length is irrelevant. All tolls to date class 2. Watch out for and make sure you understand the issue of payload. It can be tempting to carry lots of gear because you seem to have the space, it is easy to overload. Good luck.

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
I refer to to a quote from Granjan . They have a 9.2m A class and carry electric bikes. All that on a 3500 kg vehicle. What van is that ? Wow

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I refer to to a quote from Granjan . They have a 9.2m A class and carry electric bikes. All that on a 3500 kg vehicle. What van is that ? Wow
I think you misread what was written. The vehicle is over 3.5t but they have taken it down roads where that was the weight limit.

The OP does need to consider any health aspects as above 70 they will lose their over 3.5t licence until they pass a medical.

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Ah thank you DBK. The first senior moment of today. Lots more will follow I'm sure. Little bits of snow on a frost covered motorhome this morning. Hopefully it will all get blown away in France at the weekend.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Our first MH was a Yankee 12 meter with 4 slide outs. Huge accommodation but it was an involved issue finding sites and not just for length but height too at 4 metres. Google streets and Earth were our best friends and I booked our whole itinerary in advance from home. Not conducive to our nomdic spirit. However we travelled Europe with it for 6 months per year for 3 years, including the real test, Italy. We DOWNSIZED to a 9.2 metres European MH last year, a decision we do not regret. I now book occasionally to get a specific pitch type but although it is bigger than many on here would want we have not found it restrictive or felt intimidated as we did previously, indeed it is a release from a straight jacket. It is a doddle to handle and we get on pitches first time every time and without stress! We just arrived in Sardinia on a ferry from Barcelona, booked on-line as a Camper without restrictions, however you will find that some ferry companies, like Brittany, have on-line form limits which are not ferry specific but you just have to telephone book which is not a problem.
So if you are comfortable with your driving ability then I would not deny you the experience with advice to the contrary. If you do not have driving experience, take a Class C (HGV) course, not because you need a C but you will learn how to handle a bigger vehicle, and it will help in your skill and confidence.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Our MH is 7.5 metres plus a scooter rack making it around 8 metres. We have occasionally had problems parking on pitches that are surrounded with hedging, where we have had to park at a jaunty angle in order to fit in. We also have an porch awning which we have been unable to put up on these pitches due to having to park at an angle. Most pitches have been fine but even when the site advertises large pitches there are sometimes trees/bushes in the way which can stop you taking advantage of the whole pitch. I would suggest max of 7.5 metres for your first van - I await the flack! :smiley:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I get the impression sometimes that people from outside, or new to, the hobby think that length is some kind of status symbol.
"Cor mate, how long is that? It looks a good 26 footer! "
Well in my experience, an 8.5 m plus new A-class will depreciate like a rock. Unless you have money to burn, there are some really nice 6 year old vans of that description and someone else will have weathered the £70000 depreciation for you!
Well worth considering if you are new to the hobby and unsure of your needs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back