Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Colchester Essex
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrotter XL
Exp
Since 2005
Hi lost my wife on 7th March after 43 years married with last 10 years motorhoming,finding it very hard but I feel I must carry on as with both enjoyed it so much and had so much planed,look forward to hearing from fellow travelers in same position.Barry.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Welcome. Sorry to hear of your loss.

We've had many single travellers here in Spain this winter and all of them were invited (co-erced!) into group activities.

Glad you're going to keep motorhoming, it will get easier as time goes by.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Barry, Sorry to hear of your loss. Get yourself out to some meets when you feel like it. Lots of solos attend and it's a good way to meet friends whether solo or not.

Good for you to carry on enjoying the MH.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Welcome and I too am sorry for your loss.

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
It is hard, but everyone on Fun is helpful, so :pink:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:hiya2: and glad you've found the forum - there''s always someone around to talk to or daft posts to read......even some normal/informative ones from time to time:D.....and always lots of different opinions:LOL:.

Just take things a day at a time and get in the van as much as you can, best wishes.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi welcome and sorry for your loss-I was in same position 2 years ago and attending a fun meet was one of the best things I ever did .Not only did I meet some of the barmy-iest people I know:) I also met some lovely ones,made good friends and it gave me a reason to get out of the rut I had gotten into.HAPPY TRAVELS
terry

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome to the Fun, and glad you will be continuing with your motorhoming despite your sad loss. My neighbour lost his wife last November and sold his van straight away and is now bitterly regretting it... There are lots of solo travellers on here, come to Newbury Motorhome Show, there will be a few of us there!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome ,I'm so sorry for your loss, lots of people in your situation on the forum and having met some are glad they joined so they can meet up and join couples too. @Khizzie and @David27 are two I think are heading abroad this year to Twin lakes meet in France in September ! If you search the forum headings you may find some useful threads .
Keep motor homing as you obviously enjoyed it with your lovely wife so much and she would love to think you carried on .
Hope to meet up sometime don't forget to get one of @Jim s windscreen stickers the smilie face will always get a wave or a chat on sites!!

David27

Free Member
Mar 13, 2016
Audlem, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
since 2014
Hi Barry and welcome. Sorry to hear of your sad loss. I know how painful it is I am in the same situation. I am booked in to the Weymouth and Twin Lakes ( France ) meets. Hoping other solo's wll be there too. Best of Luck David

Julia

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Barry - ditto. I'm just back from my first trip alone, although I did have my dogs. I thought I would have a nice time, getting away from all the hassle and doing all the things I enjoy doing - walking my dogs, reading, etc. But, just like you, I found it hard, and I wasn't expecting that! I suppose everything that we do again for the first time without our lifelong companion is going to be hard. I wanted to come home - but I made myself stay - and now I think I could go away again, but next time I would prefer someone I know to be there too. I hope this helps you, keep trying.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome, there is also the Thetford meet by Jaws, and old mo's meet down south.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Barry
Wellcome to this forum, I know how you are felling as I too lost my wife on January 26th this year after 40 years of marriage. In a way I made the right move by retiring eight years ago the time we spent traveling across Europe in that time, now I see a a blessing, we tried to get away twice or even three time for six to eight weeks at a time.
I did contemplate selling the motorhome and doing something different, however l have now sold our Rapido and down sized to a Auto sleeper Warwick, after my wife's birthday at the end of May I will be setting off on my first trip, I will be heading down to some of our favourite spots in Spain, I fell a little nervous to be honest and not sure how I'm going to manage but unless I try I will never know.
Try and keep positive and enjoy every minute as time waits for no man.
Regards
Ray

OP
OP
Barryj

Barryj

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Colchester Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Barry - ditto. I'm just back from my first trip alone, although I did have my dogs. I thought I would have a nice time, getting away from all the hassle and doing all the things I enjoy doing - walking my dogs, reading, etc. But, just like you, I found it hard, and I wasn't expecting that! I suppose everything that we do again for the first time without our lifelong companion is going to be hard. I wanted to come home - but I made myself stay - and now I think I could go away again, but next time I would prefer someone I know to be there too. I hope this helps you, keep trying.

OP
OP
Barryj

Barryj

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Colchester Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Julia
Thanks for your message,I am away for the first time with my border terrier on my own and finding it very strange .To go walking on my own just does not feel right and do not know what the future will be like without my wife but I must carry on some how.
Have you joined anymore solo clubs to meet up with people in similar position.
Barry.

Julia

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No Barry - I've not joined anything - apart from this group - because I'm not sure about doing anything at the moment. But interestingly you mentioned your Border Terrier - Barry I've got 4 BT's and to my way of thinking anyone with a BT must know how to cope and get on with their lives because that's what BT owners do! It's all very strange - but also all very new, so I think we have to be positive and carry on doing the things we enjoyed doing and somewhere along the way we will start enjoying them again, only differently. My dogs are my reason for now!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Barry and welcome to fun, sorry to hear of your loss. My advice for what its worth is dont give up if its something you love you'll start to love it again one day. My dad is currently going through the same after losing mum at new year they were married 51 years. He went on his first holiday on his own a few weeks ago and struggled especially when he came home to an empty house and said he'd never go away again he has gradually changed his mind and even came to London with me last weekend. I have to say my mum must have been a saint to put up with him as i wanted to kill him after a few hours :). He does seem lost though most days but will get there.

Julia

Free Member
Apr 22, 2016
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Barry and welcome to fun, sorry to hear of your loss. My advice for what its worth is dont give up if its something you love you'll start to love it again one day. My dad is currently going through the same after losing mum at new year they were married 51 years. He went on his first holiday on his own a few weeks ago and struggled especially when he came home to an empty house and said he'd never go away again he has gradually changed his mind and even came to London with me last weekend. I have to say my mum must have been a saint to put up with him as i wanted to kill him after a few hours :). He does seem lost though most days but will get there.

maeve

Free Member
Nov 5, 2015
north east england
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
Hi lost my wife on 7th March after 43 years married with last 10 years motorhoming,finding it very hard but I feel I must carry on as with both enjoyed it so much and had so much planed,look forward to hearing from fellow travelers in same position.Barry.
Hi Barryj Sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. My husband died 3yrs come Sept. we were married 47yrs . Don`t know where the time has gone ,before and since. Have you been travelling abroad for the winter like many M Homers? I have travelled several times with a friend who did a self build after his wife died it was very comfortable but a bit small on wet and windy days lol. Maeve

maeve

Free Member
Nov 5, 2015
north east england
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer
Exp
Hi Barry
Wellcome to this forum, I know how you are felling as I too lost my wife on January 26th this year after 40 years of marriage. In a way I made the right move by retiring eight years ago the time we spent traveling across Europe in that time, now I see a a blessing, we tried to get away twice or even three time for six to eight weeks at a time.
I did contemplate selling the motorhome and doing something different, however l have now sold our Rapido and down sized to a Auto sleeper Warwick, after my wife's birthday at the end of May I will be setting off on my first trip, I will be heading down to some of our favourite spots in Spain, I fell a little nervous to be honest and not sure how I'm going to manage but unless I try I will never know.
Try and keep positive and enjoy every minute as time waits for no man.
Regards
Ray
That`s it we never know what is around the corner so we should make the best of what we have and can do. Of course it`s daunting like everything new but you don`t get people knocking at your door to see if you want to go out, at least not often. Enjoy what life and health you have NOW you may have heard these words before "Time waits for no man/woman" LOL Maeve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back