Overcab ladder (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Has anybody found a solution to stepping on the hard, narrow, cold & painful steps found on ladders for the overcab bed?

'The people in the ceiling' (that's what my daughter & son-law call themselves when they travel with us ::bigsmile:) say it's very uncomfortable using the ladder and feel that they're still too young to join the slipper-wearers :Doh:

What I need is a safe way of making the steps wider and I could then see about fixing carpet to protect their soft feet :winky:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
How about fitting some foam pipe lagging to the rungs of the ladder.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

Our rv came with the ladder missing. SWMBO bought a small set of step ladders that fold up very easily for storage. The steps are coated in rubber or something that is warm to the foot and non slip. They are very stable, with more room on the step for your foot than a ladder.

Cheers
Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anybody found a solution to stepping on the hard, narrow, cold & painful steps found on ladders for the overcab bed?

I did sand the back edges of ours and it made a big improvement. The fronts were well rounded as it came.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi gaffer tape some carpet to the rungs 200% improvement :thumb: or if like me make some wooden ones and flog the van the week after making them :ROFLMAO:
terry

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Steph, mine have small recatngles of rubber between the edges of metal.. probably cut from a car mat..

very comfy :)

J

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our current drop down bed which we use as a spare is low enough not to need a ladder, however in the past I have just made a wooden one (like a stepladder) with wide treads which I have carpeted. Very comfy ::bigsmile:
If you carpet one with round treads they can rotate when you step on it - a bit dangerous:hardhat:

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Hi, why not do what me and my other half does and that is one foot on the settee and the other on the table and just fall in the bed - not very ladylike but after 47 years together no worries on that front! :RollEyes::RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
stuff the payload......fit a stairlift.:ROFLMAO:

seriously, i dont know the length of the ladder but maybe a set used for normal house bunkbeds may be better if they're long enough.

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We use pipe lagging.

Only trouble is the lagging tends to break quite quickly so we tape it on with gaffer tape until a better solution presents itself or I get a chance to cable tie some carpet on.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, why not do what me and my other half does and that is one foot on the settee and the other on the table and just fall in the bed - not very ladylike but after 47 years together no worries on that front! :RollEyes::RollEyes:
My daughter uses a similar method to get up but hasn't yet found a way to get down without the ladder - can be a problem if we forget to put the ladder up at night for her and she needs the loo.

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I had the problem with the wooden ladder that came with the van. So I copied it but making it slightly longer to give a swallower angle, the Hymer one is like something off a ship almost vertical. I also made the steps wider and screwed a (mobility) grab handle to the side runner. Now at least I can get down in the middle of the night without falling arse over tip.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back