drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Probably a daft question but do you travel with the gas bottles open or closed? ie gas on or off?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
on. i have travelled for 6mths used ferries and the only time my gas was switched off was to change bottles .thats the only time i didnt have the gas fridge lit as well. worked a treat . now have compressor fridge save on gas. may get electric lights soon still have gas ones. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i always think if you turn it off it could be your engine stops . cant be danderous lpg vehicles stay on.

Upvote 0

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Depends on your gas system some systems are designed with safety valves in which are supposed to cut the flow off in the event of mishaps. Even so don't think I would feel happy with it left on and for safety would still turn mine off. FYI Eurotunnel insists gas is turned off at the bottle when you use their service.

ezee

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
On

I have refillable LPG bottles which I understand you can knock the valve of with a hammer and they dont release anything?

plus I am diabetic and carry insulin in the fridge...so there are my excuses. :Sad:

A new truma heating system has a safety valve...and it is designed to be used while driving I fink?:winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OFF.....unless i forget:Doh:

no point in having it on when nothing uses it when travelling and ,in my opinion, the emergency services wont appreciate an 'open' gas bottle if your vans on fire due to an accident.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
On

Have truma system made for travel with gas turned on. Each bottle has safety valve which turns off if any trouble. Same as the Judge

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
seems like a good enough idea for not using the tunnel. that cures that. think its not as bad as petrol being carried in a plastic can they never seem to seal ,tip it over what a mess . make your own choice ,i do.

Upvote 0

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
totally depends on your system I go along with what ezeeryder said. However i turn mine off when travelling run the fridge on 12v:thumb:

Upvote 0

NickF

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Nr Caernarfon North Wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze
Exp
on and off for years
THe choice is purly the owner of the vehicle really.

if it helps with the upright bottles (cylinders to use the real term) and underneath gas tanks we supply to many motorhome manufacturers and also what is sold aftermarket by many dealers and us, it is completly safe to travel with them left on. That's becuase we use the highest quality safety valves on our 4 hole tanks. If the gas pipe on the gas in or out should rupture there is a over lock device to stop the flow.

As to whether you can use the gas is dependent on the regulator you have fitted. Just make sure they are capable of being used whilst travelling.

That all said, if you want to make sure you get no leaks then you can't beat turning them off fully!

Nick.
www.autogastanks.co.uk

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Always travel with gas switch off.

If an accident occurs and the gas is switched on there could be serious consequences.

To give one example if a vehicle went into the side of your motorhome and metal pierced where the bottles are stored, it is quite possible the metal could also pierce the pipe that connects the bottle. With the gas switched on whilst travelling this would cause a leak into your motorhome. With the gas switched off, unless the top metal clamp cap was damaged or knocked off, or something pierced the bottles themselves you would be okay

Upvote 0

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
Generally Off but sometime On if I forget,

How do people with Gas Fridges get on in petrol stations do you leave the flame burning

just interested

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi,
Generally Off but sometime On if I forget,

How do people with Gas Fridges get on in petrol stations do you leave the flame burning

just interested

If like me, they turn the fridge off to fill up, but then forget to turn it back on:Doh:

Or, while filling up, I hear the "tick-tick-tick whoosh" as the fridge fires up :Doh: That said, its 4 foot of the ground, which is probably why I am still here:Smile:

Upvote 0
S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
Having seen the results of a fire in a petrol station caused by a lit fridge :thumbdown: I always turn my gas off when on the move.

Upvote 0

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,

Our fridge has an automatic delay before switching to gas when engine is turned off - I think it's about ten minutes. Apparently this is precisely for this reason.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our fridge has an automatic delay before switching to gas when engine is turned off - I think it's about ten minutes. Apparently this is precisely for this reason.

Just to clarify .. US RV fridges don't generally have a 12v supply for road use .. they run on LPG unless on EHU ..

Jim

Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
In respect of the OP question, I travel with gas switched on. With respect to the fridge operation, I change it to 12volts and therefore the gas flame is extinguished.

I view the risks associated with travelling with it switched on at the same level as being gassed, but its everybody to there own.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
On all the time, and the petrol filler is on the other side of the van so no problem filling up, mind you as I run on LPG, I only fill with petrol about once a year.

Olley

Upvote 0

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
On. We have an auto three way fridge which runs on 12v whilst engine is running then switches to gas when stopped, after about ten minutes; we have gaslow bottles with stainless steel hoses so any accident is going to break something will be a biggish one anyway so I would have thought it wouldn't make a lot of difference if the bottles are on or off.

Saves a lot of 'did we turn the gas on' when we stop for breaks when we won't be cooking/boiling kettle so no need to turn on gas except for fridge.

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
In respect of the OP question, I travel with gas switched on. With respect to the fridge operation, I change it to 12volts and therefore the gas flame is extinguished.

I view the risks associated with travelling with it switched on at the same level as being gassed, but its everybody to there own.

My neighbour is a Fireman. Def "OFF" as if you have a serious shunt from behind (where most gas bottles are) and the pipe gets fractured you are pumping out gas which COULD ignite. They hate gas bottles on fire as someone has to risk turning it off. Not worth the risk:cry:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If like me, they turn the fridge off to fill up, but then forget to turn it back on:Doh:

Or, while filling up, I hear the "tick-tick-tick whoosh" as the fridge fires up :Doh: That said, its 4 foot of the ground, which is probably why I am still here:Smile:

petrol vapour is lighter than air and rises so 4 ft off the ground is no help. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

Yep and ours. Our gaslow also has a cut off valve fitted which allows us to run with gas on for the fridge or heating in the habitation area. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back