Collinite and black streaks.. (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Last week I washed the van and the day after I waxed a bit of it, now as can be seen from the pictures it's the bottom bit that I waxed with collinite 476s, now we had some rain over the weekend and a lot of black streaks have appeared only on the bit that I have waxed..! The rest of the van that I haven't waxed yet has no streaks at all.

The streaks on the waxed bit are hard to wipe off and will probably need either washing off or waxing of. Now, at £20 a tin it might be good at a shine or protection but it means I'm going to have to wash or wax after it rains every time as I can't be having a dirty van....:eek:

Am I missing something ..?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just got a tin myself but haven't applied it yet. Test a small area and looks good, but not done anything out in the rain.

You'd have thought it the other way around and the waxed area stayed cleaner.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Last week I washed the van and the day after I waxed a bit of it, now as can be seen from the pictures it's the bottom bit that I waxed with collinite 476s, now we had some rain over the weekend and a lot of black streaks have appeared only on the bit that I have waxed..! The rest of the van that I haven't waxed yet has no streaks at all.

The streaks on the waxed bit are hard to wipe off and will probably need either washing off or waxing of. Now, at £20 a tin it might be good at a shine or protection but it means I'm going to have to wash or wax after it rains every time as I can't be having a dirty van....:eek:

Am I missing something ..?
View attachment 103300
View attachment 103301
Was going to buy a tin of that Garry,think I will just stick to Fenwick motorhome shampoo and bobby dazzler. ..Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We had the same happen. I think it's because where it's waxed the water concentrate in runs and leaves streak of dirt.
That makes good sense ,but surely the streaks should be easier to rub off the waxed section..no think I will keep my pension pot safe somewhere else .Roy

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I did mine at the weekend with colinite 476, looks good but drove it 17 miles from site to storage on a dry day, and the lower trims which are plastic were covered in road dust, the static when applying it was unbelievable , I reserve judgement at the mo!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Glad this thread is here, I was going to get some collinite but will now not bother. I think I will stick with Auto Glym. Thanks for posting.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Looks like dirt from the atmosphere mainly on the roof washing down the sides. On one of my previous Motorhomes , a White RV I fitted self adhesive plastic gutter which cured the problem.
I now have a length of fiamma self adhesive gutter to put on the rear of my Hymer.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does anyone know for a fact what causes these black streaks ?
It is dirt, often from behind trim which is why you often see it below door handles etc.

I've used Collinite 476 on my MH several times and don't have a particular problem with streaking and it certainly isn't worse than it was before I used it.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We live close to the North Sea and have east winds blowing in so I blame the EU for the dirt in the air they're sending over. Haha

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It's the Russians, letting off all they there Atom Bombs:(

Our bombs were good bombs and we let 'em oft in the Pacific anyway;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's the Russians, letting off all they there Atom Bombs:(

Our bombs were good bombs and we let 'em oft in the Pacific anyway;)
Don't jest, it is the 30th anniversary of Chenobyl and there was a programme on the radio today about hunters in the Black Forest who even now still have to have the wild boar they shoot tested for radioactivity. Glow in the dark pigs. :(

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Don't jest, it is the 30th anniversary of Chenobyl and there was a programme on the radio today about hunters in the Black Forest who even now still have to have the wild boar they shoot tested for radioactivity. Glow in the dark pigs. :(
So are you saying that colinite is made from glow in the dark pigs ?:eek:

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We had the same happen. I think it's because where it's waxed the water concentrate in runs and leaves streak of dirt.

You could be right, but I expected the streaks to come of the waxed area easier but their quite difficult so would need either washing or waxing again...(n)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Good test, poor result though, I might just stick with Autoglym then.

Martin

I usually use autoglym on the cars and would have on the van but thought I'd give collinite a go after reading about it on here..

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I wondered if i had done something wrong.I used Collinite last week on half of the van and have got black streaks on the collinite but not on untouched area's and have found it difficult to remove.I got that off ebay so just wondering if its genuine or not .It went on and buffed up easy as Charlie said it would ,at the monent left puzzled.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Please come back Charlie and tell us what we are doing wrong ,are we putting too much wax on
Just what I was thinking, I'll put one of these @ thingys on , see if he will reply,
@Charlie if you are there , what's gone wrong.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nothing has gone wrong. Charlie was banned for one month for numerous breaches of rule 1

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I've used colinite since before charlie and it's never stopped black streaks. (Can't see how it would).
It may concentrate them a little more but the answer imho to black streaks is ... keep your roof as clean as possible and when washing the van ensure that all trim is washed as thoroughly as possible.
I do use wax on the window trims too.
Imho the Fenwicks products are fine but Bobby dazzler is far inferior to a wax.

john1953

Free Member
May 29, 2014
middlewich, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
since 2007
I've used colinite since before charlie and it's never stopped black streaks. (Can't see how it would).
It may concentrate them a little more but the answer imho to black streaks is ... keep your roof as clean as possible and when washing the van ensure that all trim is washed as thoroughly as possible.
I do use wax on the window trims too.
Imho the Fenwicks products are fine but Bobby dazzler is far inferior to a wax.
I agree with you Bobby dazzler is never going to replace a god wax but it's a good quick fix and can be used at every wash without the effort of a proper wax, I tend to do a couple of waxes a year then use Bobby dazzler every wash, even use it on the car.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where is Charlie ?
What's rule one ?
Rule 1 is basically that you should not have a go at the person making a comment that you don't agree with etc (ie don't get personal) but instead respond to the content itself, unfortunately Charlie was unhappy with some stuff and got personal a few times so got banned for a month on 29/3/16 ... he should be able to post again shortly. (y)

Rule 1 Be Nice.
This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind.Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life " "Grow up" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

If someone rubs you up the wrong way then your reply should address the post, rather than the poster or their tone. DO NOT question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster; or make personal comments of ANY kind. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Be aware that Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar even in jest is strictly forbidden. Read more about spelling and grammar here.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/pages/terms/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back