Ferry to Spain - Book in Scooter Trailer or Not (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
About to make a Ferry Booking for Spain and want to take our Armitage Side Loading Trailer which carriers our Honda PCX 125 scooter. I have read in various Forums that some people do not declare they have a Trailer to help reduce costs, but add the trailer into the total length of their Motorhome. Has anyone done this and got away with it?

Thanks Basa

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
When we book a ferry we declare that we are carrying a bike and add it to the length of the motorhome, HOWEVER, our bike is carried on a wheelless rack attached to the back of the motorhome. Not sure if it's different if you have a trailer on wheels.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think if you declare the correct length you should be fine. We have a back box on ours which sits on the bike rack. However, I don't declare I have a bike rack but do add half a metre to the vehicle length. It's worked so far on two return trips to Santander.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I used to do that when we had the Easylift on the back but that is not really a trailer.
They do usually check what you are at the booking in booth so you may have some problems on the day

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
I think if you declare the correct length you should be fine. We have a back box on ours which sits on the bike rack. However, I don't declare I have a bike rack but do add half a metre to the vehicle length. It's worked so far on two return trips to Santander.

We do the same, never been challenged when arriving at the port.

Deleted User

Have you ever checked the efficacy of such a policy, I think you will find that declaring a bike rack is cheaper than adding a half metre to the length.

A quick check this morning for a one way crossing to Santander shows a bike rack adds £10 while adding a half metre adds £30, not quite as big a difference on St.Malo crossings.

The OP question regarding trailers also shows possible anomalies

P/mouth - Santander Aug crossing one way 16th Aug

6m van £465

6m +3m trlr £520

7m van £505

8m van £545

I don't know how much you would need to add on for the bike trailer but I suspect more than 1 metre.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We added it to the length when we took our HydraTrail with us in December to Spain, it was only an extra metre though. They never said anything but if it were a proper trailer i would add the correct length as that is going to be over 1m i expect. Better to be on the safe side than not :)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Last year I added a bike rack after booking the ferry p'mouth to St Malo. Because the length booked was well over the total length including the bike rack I did not advise the ferry company. before we got on the ferry we were told that regardless of length we should have changed the ferry booking advising of the bikerack but allowed us to board. they do charge an extra £8 for a bike rack.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Last year I added a bike rack after booking the ferry p'mouth to St Malo. Because the length booked was well over the total length including the bike rack I did not advise the ferry company. before we got on the ferry we were told that regardless of length we should have changed the ferry booking advising of the bikerack but allowed us to board. they do charge an extra £8 for a bike rack.
That's interesting, I must check if the length you declare is supposed to include the bike rack or not. In other words, we have a 6.0m vehicle plus a bike rack which adds about half a metre. So should I book for 6.0m plus tick the bike rack box or should I use 6.5m and still tick the bike rack box? I might give them a call after I've finished my coffee. :)

Deleted User
That's interesting, I must check if the length you declare is supposed to include the bike rack or not. In other words, we have a 6.0m vehicle plus a bike rack which adds about half a metre. So should I book for 6.0m plus tick the bike rack box or should I use 6.5m and still tick the bike rack box? I might give them a call after I've finished my coffee. :)

My example above was for a 6m van, since we bought the PVC I have booked 6m plus ticked the bike rack box, I assume that is the purpose of the box. Even though on our first crossing we did not use it, it would have put it over the 6m, for the extra £8 ( less 30% discount) I didn't think it worth the possible hassle.

OP
OP
BASA47
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Well Thank you to everyone who responded, some very useful information in each post. I think I will not take the chance and book the trailer in as it is only 1.5 metres long.
Once again thank you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back