Motor home Insurance (1 Viewer)

P

pinksponk

Deleted User
I am researching Insurance Costs in readiness for my motor home. Can anyone suggest a reasonable company to get a quote from ??

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
insurance

I am researching Insurance Costs in readiness for my motor home. Can anyone suggest a reasonable company to get a quote from ??

try safeguard, been with them for years reasonable quotes with full european breakdown cover in with the price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We chose Safeguard (0113 258 1614) as they offered fully comp for our Kontiki, 365 days cover for European travel and free breakdown and recovery service with the AA all for just over £300 I think. Seem fine.

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Insurance

Hi, Comfort Insurance was the cheapest quote I could find. We changed to them last year while visiting the Shepton Mallet Show and they saved us £100 on Saga prices which we use for all other insurances and which we had used for a couple of years for the van. This year they have saved us nearly another £100 because we are not doing the same mileage only 6,000 miles instead of 8,000 as last year. Fully comprehensive with full AA European breakdown cover, windscreen cover (£75 excess), but for us that is cheap considering the size of our windscreen. The underwriters are Aviva (Norwich Union) all for £262.98. There is an automatic £3000 personal effect and camping equipment cover built in as well. Why not give them a call?

happycamper

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
bolton le sands lancs
Funster No
MH
Hi top camper
Exp
14 years
I have just bought a camper based on a citroen relay and was converted by vehicle and marine windows in birmingham. I tried caravan guard for insurance and was told that they would not cover it as it was not converted by a known name.

I then contacted IC insurance and was very pleased with their responce and subsequently took it out with them.

Last edited:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, having phoned around several companies, you need to make sure that if you want breakdown cover, they will take your size vehicle, some had differents lengths of cover for abroad and some covered different values.
I think to need to make sure that the cover is suited to your needs!!!
I went with Camping and caravan club, as although the premium was within about £20 of the different companies I spoke to, their excess was only £100, whereas the others was £250. And I have full breakdown cover home and abroad including home start.
One company said that If i was withing 5 miles from home, they would not come out!

Also, worth going with a good company, even if it costs a few quid more, so you should have no problems if you need to claim.

S.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Yep we used Safegueard with the RV and used the breakdown a week after picking it up:Sad:
good price half that of Caravan Club admitedly for an RV but very good excellent with UK and European breakdown included

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
Just got my 1st van, have zero no claims bonus becuase I have had a company car for 8 years and was told to try Frank Pickles. They did fully comp without eurpean travel (i'm not ready yet) for £158. I snatched their arm off ::bigsmile:

The van is a Fiat Ducato CI1000, slow I know but i'm not Schumacher

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Comfort.

Prior to that Safeguard, but Comfort pipped then.

John

eroom

Funster
Deceased RIP
Feb 17, 2012
Broadstairs KENT
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Off &On 12 years
Our Motorhome insurance is due soon and I'm having a bit of trouble getting quotes due to the fact I will be 90 in July. I am awaiting the renewal notice from SAGA who I am with at the moment but I would like to get a few comparisons if anyone has any suggestions please. Billy & Gwen

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our Motorhome insurance is due soon and I'm having a bit of trouble getting quotes due to the fact I will be 90 in July. I am awaiting the renewal notice from SAGA who I am with at the moment but I would like to get a few comparisons if anyone has any suggestions please. Billy & Gwen
Have you tried the Camping and Caravan Club or Caravan Club?

Denise

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hallo Billy hope you and Gwen are ok

Joe

eroom

Funster
Deceased RIP
Feb 17, 2012
Broadstairs KENT
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Off &On 12 years
Hi Joe & Denise. Nice to hear from you. We'll have to meet up again somewhere, sometime as they say Tempus Fugit.
All the best

Billy

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We started off with Caravan Guard (came as a package with the van) who were fine - until we wanted to increase our annual mileage when they started wanting silly money. To be fair, without "refusing" insurance the guy did suggest that for higher mileage use we'd probably get a better deal elsewhere, Caravan Guard weren't keen on high mileages. Tried Comfort, very pleased with quote so changed over and they have been excellent - even going a few miles further when I had to change the van storage and the premium suddenly escalated, which they sorted out.

But I have noticed on the various insurance threads that every case seems to be different so my advice is to ring round them all, although I believe many (most?) are underwritten by Aviva.

eroom

Funster
Deceased RIP
Feb 17, 2012
Broadstairs KENT
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Off &On 12 years
Hi Terry Thanks for your comments. The fact is I am hopefully going to be 90 in July and these people don't wanna know if your over 80. Some of them even 75.
Adrian Flux have given me a quote but I was looking for a couple more to compare.
My Saga renewal is on 11th June and they won't give me the new price until I am within 30 days of renewal.
Thanks once again. Billy (EROOM)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello Billy

I got a quote from SAGA this year and it was £100 dearer than Camping and Caravanning Club insurance.

I am not 90 though ... despite feeling it ;) .... so don't know if they have an age limit.

Joy x

eroom

Funster
Deceased RIP
Feb 17, 2012
Broadstairs KENT
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
Off &On 12 years
Hi Joy,
I finished up with Saga in the end. Cheaper, just, than Adrian Flux. I was too old for any of the others.
It's so nice to hear from you. I look out for Movan in the list on line but we never seem to be on at the same time.
Hopefully we will meet up at one of the shows or rallies some time.
We may be going to Stratford, so maybe we'll get together then.
Hope you are keeping well,
Billy & Gwen xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back