Does anyone have any experience of Laika motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I'm looking at a couple of Laika models to replace my Chausson, but can't seem to find a great deal of info on the web regarding folks experience of the vehicles and the company/dealers. They look very nice vans, but does anyone have any first hand experience, good or bad they could share with me?

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
We have a 2009 Laika Rexosline, we are very pleased with the build quality and storage. They are relatively rare in the UK with Southdown's being the main UK dealer. Most are on a Fiat base vehicle.

Mar 26, 2012
Belfast
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a 1998 A class 200i bought back in March and find the Laika a very well designed and versatile Motorhome. It's based on a twin rear wheel Iveco chassis and is 3800kgs so you need to have your license pre 1997but has a big payload and a max train weight of 7 ton so can tow a raceshuttle.

It's a seven berth but more importantly has 5 individual beds so when my daughter and grandchildren come over in the summer, we were able to go away with everyone having their own bed. When they left and we headed of to Tuscanny, we folded the bottom bunk up and that converted the area into a garage big enough to hold our two bikes so no worries about them getting stolen or filthy.
image-jpg.82134
image-jpg.82136

Likewise the lounge area is cleverly thought out with a long settee on one side, and an L shape one on the other and with the removable steering wheel, both captains seats swivel right round giving you a lounge area the seats 10! However when the two of us go away, the long settee converts into a dining table and seats but still leaves a setee for lounging in.
image-jpg.82132

A lot of thought also went into the drop down bed. When you initially lower it you can pull it out about a foot which, although it's still a double mattress, gives the person on the inside more height and more width keeping them away from the windscreen. It can also extend out even further to convert into a superking size bed , letting you sleep lengthwise rather than side to side. The optional kit to let you do this involved straps at either side but I was going to modify the ladder to support it, there is a steel bar the length of the bed, but as my wife said 'why bother?' as the bed as standard fits us, I'm 6'1' , and it would mean an extra mattress and time to put away. As it is, the bed and bedding is out the way in 5 seconds and we can be ready to roll in 30 seconds, a bit longer if we decide to get dressed first!!

Another plus if you are a walker or skier is, in the older ones with Truma heater, it sits below the wardrobe but this has a hinged base with a wire basket shelf below so if you come in with wet boots and gear, put them in the shelf and hang your jackets up and when you put the heater on you have an instant hot press.

So our thoughts would be Laika are a brand very much overlooked, but definitely worth having.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Previous motorhome was a Laika EcoVip and very well screwed together. Real wood laminates, clever storage ideas, double floor with heated lockers and tanks, fantastic black tank and cassette on many models, excellent insulation... List goes on.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Laika generally have a good reputation - they are part of the Hymer Group. I have no direct experience of them but remember that Andy, the owner of Roadpro, had a C-class Laika (on an Iveco Daily chassis) for years that he used as a test bed for satellite systems. He took it all over Europe and to the shows.
Whenever I have seen Laikas on sites / aires, they have looked good and there are still plenty of old ones running.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The son of one of our motorhoming friends has had one for a few years and speaks very highly of both the design and the build quality

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have a Laika Econvip 7r and love it, well built and still looks good after 15 years. Southdowns at Portsmouth have a good supply and there is also a dealer in Derbyshire but can't remember who or where. :)

seabreezesports

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I,m a newbie
Again a Laka Econvip 700 as above no problems gut a good vehicle . Now up for sale as I have a self build RV

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've seen a couple about, can't quote the models but A Class variants with a very similar layout to the Hymer b544 with drop down bed etc. Someone had one at the Benicarlo Rally in 2014 but can't remember who that was either :rolleyes:...I remember it was a cracking looking vehicle!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. up close and personal experience too..
Not that I think it is really relevant mind..

Number two daughter bought one last year.. Son in law ended up having to remove the whole back, renew all the timber framework before refitting the back outer skin !

Mind you.. They only paid £4k for the van and it is about 30 years old

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Our only experience with Laika motorhomes was whilst we were staying at Tudor Park in Slimbridge, they had a Laika owners club rally, odd that out of the 12 motorhome attending only two were Laika`s.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our only experience with Laika motorhomes was whilst we were staying at Tudor Park in Slimbridge, they had a Laika owners club rally, odd that out of the 12 motorhome attending only two were Laika`s.
Its like a ride out on my Blackbird forum..
Folk get a Bird, join the forum / club and after a few years some change for other bikes.. They like the forum so stick around.. when the ride outs happen it is usually about a 50/50 mix nowadays.. 50% Birds and the rest a right old mix of makes and models !

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We had a Laika Ecovip 7R bought new in 1999 and really liked it. No problems with it, kept it for 4 years before we moved to an A Class.

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't own one but they look well-made. However, chatting with an owner recently she drew attention to the fact that the moulding around the roof on the latest models doesn't allow water to drain off when parked level. Being Norwegian, she - and many of her fellow Norge Laika club owners - had found that when the trapped water froze, it damaged the seals of the rooflights. Just thought I'd pass that snippet on for consideration. :)

Feb 14, 2014
Ainsworth, Bolton, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2011
Emm bee motor homes in Bury have started selling Laika look very nice part of the Hymer group they have a few demo vehicles in stock
Just bought my second Burstead from them nice people to deal with

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Had a Liaka Ecovip for 5 years, the only downside was that it had 40ltr toilet holding tank and the problems trying to find a place to empty it, we lived in Spain at the time. Other than that it was a great van

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Had a Liaka Ecovip for 5 years, the only downside was that it had 40ltr toilet holding tank and the problems trying to find a place to empty it, we lived in Spain at the time. Other than that it was a great van
Yes - Adrian has that problem but that is the only criticism that he has - his is 06 plate. I think he developed a workaround for it, which is not ideal but really helps

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Yes - Adrian has that problem but that is the only criticism that he has - his is 06 plate. I think he developed a workaround for it, which is not ideal but really helps

Ours had a slot underneath where you slid a thetford cassette in which allowed you to decant the holding tank into it and empty as normal. It was a 2002 Ecovip 100 and it was a good solid build. We missed a rear lounge so sold it.

Attachments

• Laika.jpg
    Laika.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 52

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back