Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I haven't subscribed for yonks ... I cancelled my regular subscription years ago and still have the last year's magazines unread (probably 2013 or earlier ... some are still in their wrappers)! I just lost interest as, as PPJ says, a lot of it is just regurgitated again and again and some of the reviews and tests were so boring with the same 'criticisms' of MHs all the time (no draining board etc) that it just pee'd me off. The final 'nail in the coffin' was when I heard the Andy Stothert was no longer doing his articles which was one of the few things I liked to read.

As a newbie, or less experienced MHer, it is a good publication and you can learn a lot from it, but when you've been around MHs for a long time it gets a bit monotonous to read "the same old, same old" each month.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Being new to Motorhoming (only a few yrs under our belts) we look forward to getting them, all the tips,tricks, ect and other peoples journeys make for a good read.. I suppose those who dont really enjoy the mag anymore are hardcore Motorhomers who have been doing it for yrs and theres nowt in the mag thats new news to them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Really is designed around the needs of the advertisers, dealers flogging new vans and big campsites.
The travel writers can be a bit of a joke as a result. This months refers to a trip to Holland, the writers "love taking their Murvi to wild and isolated places" and also "we often camp away from facilities". However the article then describes their trip to Holland involving an overnight at Calais and ten nights on a Dutch campsite charging £25.72 per night with ehu. Hardly the camp away from facilities in wild and isolated places. In fact I don't remember a travel piece where they didn't stay at a campsite. The things you need to know, like parking at places they visited, connections with public transport, garages with lpg, the road network, tolls or avoiding them, aires, water taps, waste disposal, those key essentials are rarely mentioned as they don't sell advertising space.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I had my subscription for a birthday present a few years ago and still like getting it through the post monthly. If we are going away I save it read it and pass it on . I've been known to leave old copies in the dentist and drs ' they make more interesting reading then old copies of Hello!(y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I still like reading the magazine, I think they do their best to include something for everyone. Like @RidersofRohan though I am not so keen on some of the travel articles, should be much more focussed on travelling with a motorhome.

Generally the magazine seems to be too concerned about keeping advertisers happy, so often the campsites featured are 'Premier' sites which obviously pay a lot for their 'independent' Premier rating.

Paul

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
I've just got my 1st one and gave it a quick skim last night, looks the sort of thing I'll enjoy for a while.

As a newbie, or less experienced MHer, it is a good publication and you can learn a lot from it, but when you've been around MHs for a long time it gets a bit monotonous to read "the same old, same old" each month.

I think most magazine subscriptions are like that - keeping tropical fish, I subscribed to a couple of different magazines as I went through freshwater and then on to marines.
As a beginner each time, there was a lot of useful info but a year or so later and it was all the same stuff being rehashed and my own knowledge took over.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I have had it for years, and cancelled last month. Seemed to be the same month after month. Even the script is repetitive, "we found adequate 'through vision' if you pinned back the toilet door and taped up the blind". Who on earth wants 'through vision'?

Craig

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I enjoy it but often wonder if the reviews and articles are biased towards their paid advertisers espacially sites there are occasional users of aires in France but then a lot on here use posh campsites I can't understand why but each to their own.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Cancelled my subscription around five years ago......got bored with the same stuff in a different order each month
Same here, cancelled in January, found I wasn't enjoying it as much, so having a break. I've tried what motorhome a couple of times.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I think you learn more from this type of interactive medium where you can ask a question or give an opinion, and you see a wider range of the use people make of their m/hs. If you read only MMM you would think people only used Caravan Club sites with ehu and bought brand new vehicles at £50k with microwaves and electric hobs.

StickyWicket

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I don't subscribe but buy when I see an article about somewhere interesting to visit. Often then disappointed as article does not have enough detail and find that the trip has been undertaken in a camper van which can be a very different experience to doing same journey in a larger motorhome.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
terrible magazine!lol a waste of good paper!:(
i dont get that whats so terrible about it :eek:
Brian & Jo

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I don't subscribe but buy when I see an article about somewhere interesting to visit. Often then disappointed as article does not have enough detail and find that the trip has been undertaken in a camper van which can be a very different experience to doing same journey in a larger motorhome.
I do this too! I find the trip information good but a lot are done in campers or smaller Motorhomes as you say and that is no good for us. But it doesn't stop me buying it though. I also save the articles I find useful in a flat file for future reference.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I subscribed to practical motorhome, but just cancelled my subs, too many repeats too much advertising.
By far more interesting & helpful info on FUN,
Also some nice peeps on here, including @Popeye ,one of my near !!! but not too closest Funsters

KEEP IT UP @Jim

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
A little disappointed as I left the latest mag at home when I left for work this morning.
I agree that it can be repetitive at times but alway feel that I am missing something when I cancel it :-S

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
It is the only magazine / paper I now buy. There are always a few article of interest. The classic camper section is great, when you look back at what was around 30 years ago compared to today.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last time I read it was in the GP's waiting room.. think it was a 1960s issue, review about the latest Dormobile :LOL:

Seriously,.. have never subscribed.. bought the odd one when away in the van..

The C Club magazine goes straight to the recycle bin.. still inside the plastic wrapper :rolleyes:

Deleted User
They have just increased my subscription to £9.99 quarter that's up £2.00 so I am seriously considering cancelling. It used to take me a couple of days to read it,now it takes an hour. At least half of it is adverts 25% is travel 20% is rubbish which does'nt leave much. I also used to save copies to read later now they go in the bin.

Spongy

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
My kids always buy me a yearly subscription of MMM but must admit the SWMBO reads it more than I do and am seriously contemplating asking the kids for socks or something this year, bit like the motorhome shows once you have been to one you have been to them all, not much change each month and lots of replication.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back