Extra battery (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
OK...... following on from solar thread what about instead of solar panel fitting an additionall 85a leasure battery, presumably that would give me double the usage ?? Just wire it in parralel to existing battery ???
Only problem would be were to fit it cos would need heavy duty wire I spose so would be a long wire to garage.
Any thoughts...good idea...bad idea....etc etc
Ian

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Always a good idea fitting extra batteries:thumb: and solar too in my opinion
But it should be located so as to minimise the length of cable reqd
ie as close to the other as possible

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Always a good idea fitting extra batteries:thumb: and solar too in my opinion
But it should be located so as to minimise the length of cable reqd
ie as close to the other as possible

Yep thats what I thought could be difficult though cos current one is under passenger seat. Could prob fit one under bonnet on a bulkhead but still got 5' or so of cable ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK...... following on from solar thread what about instead of solar panel fitting an additionall 85a leasure battery, presumably that would give me double the usage ?? Just wire it in parralel to existing battery ???
Only problem would be were to fit it cos would need heavy duty wire I spose so would be a long wire to garage.
Ian

The problem is just like a fuel tank, you can double it's size and go twice as far then you have to spend twice as long filling it. You have to match income to outgoings.

Where you put it is not important. Most of the time you only draw the odd amp or two and voltage drop is not a killer.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
The problem is just like a fuel tank, you can double it's size and go twice as far then you have to spend twice as long filling it. You have to match income to outgoings.

Where you put it is not important. Most of the time you only draw the odd amp or two and voltage drop is not a killer.

I am confused as to solar panel or battery ????

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I would say both if you intend going without hook up's

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I would say both if you intend going without hook up's

Spose that definately coversit then but what is minimum size of solar I require just to trickle charge during the day.??

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Spose that definately coversit then but what is minimum size of solar I require just to trickle charge during the day.??

Not certain have not gone that route yet, but someone is bound to know.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Not certain have not gone that route yet, but someone is bound to know.

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
I've just had a 130 watt solar panel fitted on the roof, and a 300 watt inverter (just for the 19" LCD telly). Solar panel charges the 85 amp leisure battery only, NOT the vehicle battery.
I queries if one leisure battery was adequate and was told to suck it and see. Good advice I think.

This was advised by South Yorkshire Motorhomes, and seems to me to be good advice.

I switch the inverter off when telly not in use.
I'm off up Scotland on Monday the 7rh September for a few weeks - that'll be a good test.
If I find that I need another battery, that's easily enough done.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I've just had a 130 watt solar panel fitted on the roof, and a 300 watt inverter (just for the 19" LCD telly). Solar panel charges the 85 amp leisure battery only, NOT the vehicle battery.
I queries if one leisure battery was adequate and was told to suck it and see. Good advice I think.

This was advised by South Yorkshire Motorhomes, and seems to me to be good advice.

I switch the inverter off when telly not in use.
I'm off up Scotland on Monday the 7rh September for a few weeks - that'll be a good test.
If I find that I need another battery, that's easily enough done.
I think you will find that you are wasting power and running your existing battery low at times with nothing in reserve. 2 x 110 amp/hr batteries will complete the setup for you.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

if you just want to trickle charge get one of those dashboard solars.....total waste of cash unless you leave it connected at home/storage while not using the van.

trickle charging wont top up your battery..only maintain it if its not being used.

ideally you need to put back in what you take out each hour..

10ah out...10ah in, but of course most of the day you aint drawing anything from the battery so it does get chance to recover.

i have a 330ah battery bank and a 120w panel which gives me about 6 to 7amps per hour in good sunny weather.

this just about covers my battery usage for an average evening....lights, TV, sat box, water pump etc.
a couple of days without sun and i start to suffer lowish battery reserves but then i run my genny:thumb:

id say a couple of 85ah batteries would need a minimum 55/60w panel to keep on top of them depending how power hungry you are.

if i allow my batteries to get to a very low, and not advisable, 50% charge it will take, theoreticly, 23.5 hours of strong sunshine to charge them fully from my panel at 7amps or 6.6 hours from my genny at 25amps.

Last edited:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
I have had installed an extra battery (180ah in total) together with two solar panels (163w in total). I deliberately added more solar for winter use, when less daylight is available and hence battery drain will inevitably increase as a result.

Our two week holiday recently was a great success with regard to battery power management with no EHU used (or needed) for the entire duration. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back