1994 Hymer Fiat Ducato 2.5td based Starting Issue (1 Viewer)

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
Morning everyone...

Just had MOT done on the beast, it ran ok and started ok a couple of days came to start it yesterday and it took ages to kick in, starter motor turning ok plenty of juice.

When it does kick in there seems to be a lot of smoke well more than usual, if I then give it high revs and take them off the whole engine shudders then stops - then I hear a bubbling from what I can make out is the diesel tank.

I haven't called anyone yet as would like to find out what the issue is first from my thinking its a fuel issue.. soooo

• Could it be air getting in the fuel line?
  • Could it be the Fuel Injector pump?
Thats all I can think of at the moment but if any of you who have experience in this have any further ideas or could give advice on where to check I would be most grateful.

Stu

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe you have put the wrong type of fuel in if you have recently filled it ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Morning everyone...

Just had MOT done on the beast, it ran ok and started ok a couple of days came to start it yesterday and it took ages to kick in, starter motor turning ok plenty of juice.

When it does kick in there seems to be a lot of smoke well more than usual, if I then give it high revs and take them off the whole engine shudders then stops - then I hear a bubbling from what I can make out is the diesel tank.

I haven't called anyone yet as would like to find out what the issue is first from my thinking its a fuel issue.. soooo

• Could it be air getting in the fuel line?
  • Could it be the Fuel Injector pump?
Thats all I can think of at the moment but if any of you who have experience in this have any further ideas or could give advice on where to check I would be most grateful.

Stu

What colour is the smoke ? the colour of the smoke can tell you a lot about what may be wrong

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
I'm normally quite on the ball with that sort of thing.. i suppose its possible as its diesel... but if i had put in petrol it would kick out white smoke?

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
What colour is the smoke ? the colour of the smoke can tell you a lot about what may be wrong
Hi.. its a bluey smoke like normal but more of it :) It does kick out a little normally on start up anyway but not normally to this level

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

did you refuel between these two dates.. ?

If so.. as said by @irnbru it could be petrol in the diesel..

signs that you have petrol in the diesel

You’ve recently filled your car with fuel and now you’re experiencing running problems, you think you may have put petrol in your diesel, check your receipt from the fuel station, if you can’t find your receipt, the following are signs of possible petrol contamination in a diesel engine and fuel system:

• Engine has got noisy under load (accelerating)
• The exhaust is smoking more than usual when you’re driving
• Vehicle is now difficult to start, especially when warm

does depend on the make and model of the car but most common symptoms when this is done are as follows.

1. The vehicle will take some time to start.
  2. The vehicle will emit quite a lot of smoke when accelerating.
  3. The vehicle's engine will misfire and run poorly until high revs.

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
The possible causes are many & various . . . . google '' blue diesel smoke '' - for possible causes - yes an oil rich fuel mixture will detrimentally affect engine performance

will have a look and peruse thanks

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
did you refuel between these two dates.. ?

If so.. as said by @irnbru it could be petrol in the diesel..

signs that you have petrol in the diesel

You’ve recently filled your car with fuel and now you’re experiencing running problems, you think you may have put petrol in your diesel, check your receipt from the fuel station, if you can’t find your receipt, the following are signs of possible petrol contamination in a diesel engine and fuel system:

• Engine has got noisy under load (accelerating)
• The exhaust is smoking more than usual when you’re driving
• Vehicle is now difficult to start, especially when warm

does depend on the make and model of the car but most common symptoms when this is done are as follows.

• The vehicle will take some time to start.
    • The vehicle will emit quite a lot of smoke when accelerating.
    • The vehicle's engine will misfire and run poorly until high revs.

I might get the RAC out to double check now.. kinda got me worried that I have made that mistake... I will report back this evening..

OP
OP
ThePeltonian

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
UPDATE: ok turns out the banjo bolt going to the injector had worked loose once tightened starts brill...

Big Phews all round"! thanks though for inputs.. always worth checking all angles :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back