Freeloading In Silves Now Come To An End... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As from the beginning of last week, the final bit of freeloading ended in Silves.

Last "season" (as in previous years) one was allowed to park all over the carpark by the coach stop. This "season" that was stopped and we freeloaders were restricted to the area in between the river and the hedge. Early on it was okay but it soon got far, far too crowded for my liking so I moved off to other locations.

I often popped back to chat to friends who were still there...

Just called in today guessing (correctly) that the crowds would have left.

The area has is now being run by the new people who won the Council organised auction for bids to run the site.

For the last week the new people have been operating the place.

They are asking the motorhomers for their opinions and input.

At the moment they are charging €3 per night (includes water and grey and black waste dumping).

20160424_124043.jpg

Of course it is very pleasant here now as the masses have gone.

20160424_184043.jpg

Phillip, the man in charge, is now thinking about what improvements (electricity, wifi, showers etc) to add to the place.

I feel the faint possibility of a small Funster Meet sometime in the future.

JJ :cool:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Although it may not fit with the freeloading philosophy I would prefer to pay a token fee per night and know the site would be available for years to come than pay nout and run the risk of losing all options.

over improvement though will make it a tuggers paradise and not my sort of scene either..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Maybe Philip should add the site details to Campercontact, if he already hasn't done so.
New business need all the custom they can get

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
No doubt JJ will be along shortly! But that looks like the parking space (up behind the bus station),that the council started a few years ago and left unfinished.
I remember the police starting in there early one morning and
Asking all the vans to leave!
So how many "paying to camp" sites are there in Silves now?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Maybe Philip should add the site details to Campercontact, if he already hasn't done so.
New business need all the custom they can get

Give him a chance Mr Clark! Only been a week. Still working out loads of details...

JJ - is that the one by the swimming pool?

Yes Mr peterc10, that's the one...

No doubt JJ will be along shortly! But that looks like the parking space (up behind the bus station),that the council started a few years ago and left unfinished.
I remember the police starting in there early one morning and
Asking all the vans to leave!
So how many "paying to camp" sites are there in Silves now?

This will be the third one John, but judging by our chat today, they haven't quite decided which end of the market they are going to aim at. I told them that many, many of the folk who camped on the carpark in the past wouldn't even pay €3 per night. I guess they have all gone up the road to Messines where it is still free (although I am told that the water has been turned off now.)

If it stays at €3 including water and facilities for dumping I will definitely use it a few times a month!!!!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Have they put the roof back on the pool. Half of it had been ripped off when we were there with no prospect seemingly of repair. Only stayed one night far, far to many vans for me.

Dick

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Have they put the roof back on the pool. Half of it had been ripped off when we were there with no prospect seemingly of repair. Only stayed one night far, far to many vans for me.

Dick

All finished now...

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Why should anyone expect to pay nothing for a place to stay anywhere, anyway?..... OK if you can but if you're not prepared to pay even 3 euros....... what can the locals expect?

If we are that 'tight' isn't it likely that motorhomers (or 'travelers') will be seen to contribute very little to the local economy ........ are we in danger of being seen to be a 'problem'? ...........

'Free loading tossers'.......... maybe there are too many now.........

:whistle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the video of the silves problem as posted a few years back on here shows why this had to happen

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
"Why should anyone expect to pay nothing for a place to stay anywhere, anyway?."

Mr Barclay Basher...

Let me assure you there are many, many, many places in Portugal where motorhomers are very welcome to stay absolutely free.

At some of the places, the authorities even provide free electricity and services.

They do this for a reason. To attract motorhomers to their area.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the information @JJ

had a look on Google maps and I think I know where it is.. but would it be possible to give the GPS Co-odinatess ?

cheers..

My pleasure Jim...

N 37°11'5.1036", W 8°26'40.974"

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-25-09-02-55.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 27

Deleted User
A video from "Silves a few years back"...

An awful lot of things happen in "a few years"

What "problem" was that I wonder?

2/300 motorhomes parked on a car park with no facilities (except for one tap? and a manhole cover) perhaps / :)

It is good to see some local authorities seeking an acceptable solution to all.......well most:)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
200/300 vans on Silves car park...

Staggering to see how bad at counting some folk were.

No tap there in those days.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We spent 3 nights on this car park in Ap
Another Aire in Silves..

from CamperContact.. how do you rate this one @JJ ?

http://www.campercontact.com/en/por...me-parking-algarve-motorhome-park-silves.aspx
Jim, that is just down the road and on the opposite side from the one that JJ is referring to - bit further out of town but not much. We had a look at it when we were staying at JJs one. Not bad and had a shower (extra cost) if you want it. Also had more facilities than JJ's one (water and black waste dump), but I guess the other one now has those. Bit more organised in that your "space" was marked out, but it was probably less than the space we had in JJ's one.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Can you still get s campercar discount at the restaurant up by the castle ???

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The site I posted about above DOES have black and grey water dumping and fresh water.

At the moment it is €3 per night.

As camp sites go, Jim, the one you posted a camper contact link to is pretty good. I used it for services @ €2 for emptying and filling (if I am feeling rich at the time!). Only a short walk from this "new" place and very near the Continente Supermarket.

The Restaurant "Casa Velha De Silves" is still serving their special "Camper" menu...

20160426_102033.jpg

I am too good to you lot...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The site I posted about above DOES have black and grey water dumping and fresh water.

But it was somewhat different in the past. When I was there in spring 2015 the grey water dump slabs and drain had just been finished (presumably in preparation for making it full service), but there was no fresh water that I could find (maybe I did not look hard enough!). There was a sort of black water dump if you could find the manhole with the string attached about 100yds away, but no way of rinsing the cassette, so not ideal. As I said in the previous post I expect the fresh water and proper black dump is now there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back