Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've been trying to find a way to carry the bicycles on the rear of the RV without drilling any holes as well as carrying the motorcycle on the trailer at the same time. Nothing I've seen really achieved what I wanted so down the workshop last week with a big hammer some plate and the welder and made my own. At the same time I altered the towbar too give me an extra 4" ground clearance and added an extension to the nose of the trailer to level it up and also gain a few extra inches ground clearance on the rear end. Everything is quick release so the whole process only takes a couple of minutes.
Here's the result;

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Last edited:
OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you mean the back tyre of the motorbike its just mud, when I loaded it the back wheel was on the lawn and skidded a bit as it went on the trailer, bloody lawns waterlogged.

We're off South this weekend meeting some friends at Paignton:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Looks good!!:thumb::thumb: At least by making your own you can get what you want, you never seem to be able to find what you are looking for at the time, come 6 months later you are falling over the dam things, and you no longer need it.

Good job

Dave:thumb::thumb:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Nice job Ror. Almost the same as the £19.99 Halfords bike rack I had welded onto my towbar back plate on our old Coachmen. :thumb:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Are you sure that lots legal ror

Jim
:roflmto:

Yeah I think so.
All the lights are visible as are number plates and reflectors, when the trailers on it has a legal number plate and lights. The bikes weigh 20 kgs and the trailer puts 30kgs on the hitch, don't see a problem.:RollEyes: I hope.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and made my own.
Here's the result;

That's a well equipped MH.

But looks into crystal ball...... I see stress in that butt joint. I see shredded bikes. Trouble is this crystal ball doesn't do dated.

I'd have a safety wire round those bikes and a fillet on the but joint. Or maybe it looks much stronger in the flesh.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If it anything like the one he made for his Damon A class, the RV will fall of the tow bar first:whatthe:
In fact he nearly sunk the ferry with it when it caught on the ramp:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Rory
Does this mean your easylifter is for sale:thumb:
Tony Santara is in the market for one:RollEyes:
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sorry to dissapoint Rory, I hope you had a great time doing it. If you would of asked I have the same system sat in my garage that I havn't used since giving up caravaning years ago :Blush: could of been yours for a pint :ROFLMAO:

Still looks like you have carried it off yourself, well done :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
sorry to dissapoint Rory, I hope you had a great time doing it. If you would of asked I have the same system sat in my garage that I havn't used since giving up caravaning years ago :Blush: could of been yours for a pint :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Like I said make one and 6 months later you are falling over the dam things!! Well this is the first:ROFLMAO: wait for the rest.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If it anything like the one he made for his Damon A class, the RV will fall of the tow bar first:whatthe:
In fact he nearly sunk the ferry with it when it caught on the ramp:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Rory
Does this mean your easylifter is for sale:thumb:
Tony Santara is in the market for one:RollEyes:
Geo

You're so right Geo they've obviously never seen a Forestboy fabrication the chassis will snap before that breaks.

No don't want to sell the Easylifter at the moment.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
sorry to dissapoint Rory, I hope you had a great time doing it. If you would of asked I have the same system sat in my garage that I havn't used since giving up caravaning years ago :Blush: could of been yours for a pint :ROFLMAO:

Still looks like you have carried it off yourself, well done :thumb:

Thanks Matey:cry::cry::Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
:Eeek: I haven't built a bridge just a bike carrier :Doh:

Wish i hadn't bothered I thought it might help someone else with a similar problem.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Eeek: I haven't built a bridge just a bike carrier :Doh:

Wish i hadn't bothered I thought it might help someone else with a similar problem.

Don't take it like that, I only suggested that an unsupported butt weld like that might suffer fatigue cracking over time given the overhang and the vibration. Your weld won't fail but my guess is the pipe might on the opposite side to the bikes.

Nothing personal, just an observation from someone who has seen a lot of metal fatigue in his lifetime.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Looks a great job Ror,I have been looking for something like that myself that would'nt involve drilling thanks mate.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Rory

I made a similar sort of set up for the Monaco some time ago so that we could take the bikes and tow a car, I bolted it on through the tow hitch pin also stopped any jackdaw stealing the shiny hitch:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

100_0516.jpg

100_0514.jpg

100_1528.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Pat

That's a neat job very similar to mine, shouldn't have posted a picture though, you'll have some armchair expert with x ray vision on telling everything that's wrong with it.:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi Pat

That's a neat job very similar to mine, shouldn't have posted a picture though, you'll have some armchair expert with x ray vision on telling everything that's wrong with it.:ROFLMAO:

well its quite obvious to see from Pats pictures his is illigal as it has no lettering on the number plates, and his top tow ball is not as shinney as the bottom one leading to a quick metal fatigue syndrome :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have just bought the same bike rack pat to replace the damage I had in France. Looks great and easier to get me bikes on than the fiama screwed in jobs.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have just bought the same bike rack pat to replace the damage I had in France.

I've had the same rack for sale for almost a year .. could have saved you a few bob unless you bought second hand ..

Link Removed

could have had it for a ton

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

sxxt,,, I should of checked.

Now I know exactly how Rory felt yesterday when I told him I had a rack the same as the one he just made :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cry:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Pat

Hmmm who is that then the bike rack police?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
:
Don't take it like that, I only suggested that an unsupported butt weld like that might suffer fatigue cracking over time given the overhang and the vibration. Your weld won't fail but my guess is the pipe might on the opposite side to the bikes.

Nothing personal, just an observation from someone who has seen a lot of metal fatigue in his lifetime.

i think Rory's seen more metal than you've had hot dinners mate :ROFLMAO:

nice job rory :thumb:

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
Hi Rory,
from someone who knows absolutely nothing about such things, it looks good to me, and I am sure with your expertise and knowledge, it will serve you proud, well done you clever bugger:ROFLMAO: love to Jan, hope to meet you both again sometime somewhere, soon:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back